PDA

View Full Version : How old is this author?

CJ
10-29-2009, 04:09 PM
If you have time to read this essay, could you tell me how old you think the author is? I do some tutoring and I can tell you that they are under 25, but can you try and guess their actual age? TIA...

Since nearly the beginning of time, people have had heroes: people we admire, soldiers and rescue workers who save our families. These people, sometimes from far away lands, had their stories carried across the countries. These people give us someone to look up to, something to aspire to be. They can give us hope that maybe, someday, we too can be heroes.

Still, the fact cannot be ignored that heroes are imperfect. They are just like everyone else in that they make mistakes. The difference is that, unlike you and I, heroes have their mistakes widely proclaimed by those in the media. One person makes a phone call and before long, everyone in the country turns on their radios and television sets and learns far more about the 'hero' than they ever wanted to know.

Celebrities and sport stars are the most popular in the media, even more so when they make mistakes. Michael Phelps, Lindsay Lohan, Chris Brown, Brittney Spears, Andre Agassi and many others. The latest gossip coats the front of magazines and we, the public, eagerly eat it up. It fills our daily conversation.

All of this raises a question. Is it beneficial to know everything about our hero's life, including their mistakes or is it more beneficial to just let it rest?

John Powell said, "The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing." If we don't know about someone's mistakes, one could argue, how could we learn from it? The experts say to welcome the gossip. Why? It can help us to talk about otherwise awkward issues.

If our heroes make mistakes, as they often do, it makes them more human. It can help us to see that they're not any different from us. They're not perfect, even though they appear that way at times. We may still feel betrayed by a person we looked up to, but eventually we will see that no human should be classified as better than everyone else. We all have shining moments, we all make mistakes, and we all have our weaknesses.

In conclusion, it is inevitable that our heroes will make mistakes. If we do not know about the mistakes, or they remain mostly in the shadows, we cannot learn from them. "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it," as George Santayana put it. If we see the consequences our heroes face when they make a certain bad decision, we will strive to do the opposite. Maybe then we can look back on those mistakes with a new viewpoint as they help us to avoid them. Maybe that's the solution.

Julie Y
10-29-2009, 05:55 PM
Ack; is this a trick test? I'll take a stab at it: 16 or 17, a junior or senior in high school.

Lori D
10-29-2009, 07:12 PM
I would say between 15 and 20- kind of a broad range. The the famous people being referenced make me think on the younger end.

Rachel Jane
10-29-2009, 08:27 PM
17 and male

Sheri
10-29-2009, 08:43 PM
Upper high school

Sue C
10-29-2009, 09:00 PM
I feel like a psychologist or something. :unsure: I'm going to say 16 year old girl.

Rachel Jane
10-29-2009, 09:18 PM
might be a girl, the phone was mentioned.

If it is a girl, I'll say 15-17
boy, 17-19

Julie Y
10-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Ooooh; we're guessing gender, too? I say male. 17.

Gitel in nj
10-29-2009, 11:03 PM
I think it is very well written for a freshman but for an older hs student, not so much. The paragraphs are short, the thesis is in the middle of the essay and the conclusion doesn't clearly answer the thesis (IMHO)

so my answer is 13-14 (or so).

So how old IS the author?

Jeni
10-30-2009, 01:41 AM
I think it is very well written for a freshman but for an older hs student, not so much. The paragraphs are short, the thesis is in the middle of the essay and the conclusion doesn't clearly answer the thesis (IMHO)

Those are my thoughts too but if they are being tutored I'd say maybe as old as 16.

Is it typed up exactly as it was written? Those "paragraphs" make my eye twitch. :lol: Very insightful message, especially assuming the author is young but definitely needs a lot of work on form and organization. :lol:

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Robin in Colorado
10-30-2009, 06:51 AM

This is what I'd think...

DeniseR
10-30-2009, 07:29 AM
The short paragraphs also has me thinking younger teen.

Paige P
11-01-2009, 04:13 PM
I'd guess upper middle school/early high school 12-14 (maybe even 15/10th grade).

Robin H in VA
11-02-2009, 02:29 PM
This is a wonderful essay, very well thought out.

I am going to say that this is probably a younger student though, maybe 10 to 12 years old? That may be a little young, but I would think that this age would be more 'attuned' to the 'hero' thing. :unsure:

Cheryl in SoCal
11-02-2009, 02:33 PM
I'd guess upper middle school/early high school 12-14 (maybe even 15/10th grade).

I'm guessing much younger because if they were the age the writing appeared to be suggesting you probably wouldn't be asking;):lol:

Oney
11-03-2009, 03:47 PM
14 year old boy

CJ
11-03-2009, 04:33 PM
The topic on heroes was assigned, they didn't choose it.

The paragraphs only look short on your computer screen. On school paper, they take up 6-11 lines each with the exception of that short one in the middle.

Thank you for your replies! This is a low confidence writer and I wanted them to see that some people did think their writing was at a high school level. They feel they are a poor writer and struggle greatly in fulfilling their assignments. Hopefully this gave the fifteen year old the boost she needed. Again, thank you!!

Rebe
11-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Hopefully this gave the fifteen year old the boost she needed.

I hope so, too! I love to see a reluctant teenager get excited about writing!