View Full Version : Poetry/Writing for a 7.5yr old??

Candace C
10-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Hi everyone,

First of all, I don't have a working computer so I may not reply right away...but wanted to go ahead and ask this to see what responses I get. :)

My oldest, Hannah, who will be 8yrs in Feb. and is doing 2nd/3rd grade work is ASKING about poetry. She wants to know WHAT a poem is and HOW she can write her own.

I think this must be a genuine interest, because she carries around little notebooks and writes words/sentences and tries to rhyme them, saying she is writing a poem. But, she wants to know the REAL way to write one. :lol: I have kind of blown her off a few times (bad mommy) b/c I think I have no clue how to teach poetry to a 2nd grader! LOL! But, since she keeps asking I feel like I should put something together for her.

Now, we do READ poetry pretty often...so that is taken care of. But, how do I help her write poetry? Teach her what it is? About different kinds?? Are there any sources for kids this young??

We are briefly planning to talk about haiku this week while learning about Japan/Red Clogs, etc. And, she knows a little bit about a limerick...

HELP!! Thanks! :)

10-30-2009, 10:39 AM
:hi:, Candace! I've missed seeing you around!

My dd will be 9 in December, and we are just starting to do anything with poetry. I introduced cinquains this month because I saw a cinquain lesson connected with Christopher Columbus. I sat with my dd -- we looked at an example of one, then we wrote a couple of our own together. I just blogged about it here (http://godseekersacademy.blogspot.com/2009/10/introducing-cinquains.html).

Lael struggled initially with writing, so I don't want to "mess it up" now that she enjoys it and is writing stories without it being a "school assignment". I always dreaded poetry assignments in school, so I thought by keeping it fun and connecting it with whatever unit we're doing, that might help.

I have a pdf on teaching poetry that I could send you if you'd like (it talks about shape poems, haiku, limerick, free verse, diamante, couplet, cinquain, and acrostic) . . . wasn't sure if that would be helpful or not since you don't have regular computer access. Just let me know if you'd like it.

Melissa Crabtree
10-30-2009, 12:33 PM
I happened to notice this (http://www.evan-moor.com/Series.aspx?CurriculumID=3&ClassID=234&SeriesID=151) when I was on the Evan Moor site today.

Susan A
10-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Hands of a Child has a neat lapbook on beginning to write poetry!!

10-31-2009, 07:43 AM
Here is a nice book I've borrowed from the library: R is for Rhyme (http://www.amazon.com/Rhyme-Poetry-Alphabet-Sleeping-Alphabets/dp/1585362409)

There also is a teachers guide at Sleeping Bear Press (http://www.sleepingbearpress.com/educators/)

Suz MamaFrog
10-31-2009, 10:00 PM
Liz Foss was doing R is for Rhyme on her blog, but I'm not sure if she finished posting all the lesson plans.....and now I can't find the link to her blog.....

Anyway, we found a book from Scholastic called How to Write Poetry last year. DD needed a bot of help getting through it, but we spent about a month going slowly through the book. She created a wonderful poetry journal using the book, and wrote amny nice beginner poems. She was a bit older than your dc, but I think it might work with a little tweaking....

Heather W
11-01-2009, 06:37 AM
My dd got turned on to poetry when we did the fall nature study. There are lots of poems in there and she started writing her own immediately. I didn't "teach" her much but she chose to share her thoughts about stuff in that way. She's still doing it and some of them are pretty good.

Otherwise, we talk about it as we reach those spots in our FIAR work.

Jane once sent me an alphabet book on poetry I think? It was part of an order I guess. I'll have to check on the title.

11-01-2009, 02:05 PM
I have an 11yodd and a 7yo dd. We have been slowly working our way through the book A Child's Introduction to Poetry. We study a type of poem, then we brainstorm ideas together and write a poem. Depending on the difficulty, sometimes each child writes her own, and other times we write one together. Finally, they make a notebook page with the type of poem, definition, and their poem, and decorate the page. It has been really fun, inexpensive, and easy to implement.

Candace C
11-02-2009, 03:45 PM
THANK YOU, ladies! I'm looking through all these ideas and resources and am excited to start something with my dd!!