View Full Version : Helpful site about reading levels

Julie Y
11-03-2009, 09:21 AM

You can plug in the names of books your children are reading to get an idea of what reading level they are comfortable at.

Or you can search by reading level and various criteria for book suggestions.

11-03-2009, 11:22 AM
hey thanks!

molly in cr
11-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the link!

11-03-2009, 06:20 PM
:cool: site, Julie!

11-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Thanks! This is wonderful!

Joy in Alabama
11-04-2009, 02:45 PM
How timely, Julie! I was just thinking about putting Abby in "real" books instead of Pathway readers when she soon finishes the one she's in. I was wondering if there was a website where I could figure out grade levels and viola! you posted!

Christi in OH
11-04-2009, 03:54 PM
That is really neat. It will be a good way to find books DS might be ready to read and like. The librarian last time was not very helpful. ;)

11-04-2009, 06:34 PM
:)Oh this is wonderful thank you!!! I so needed something like this. I hear my friends with kids in public school talk about how well their children are reading and how awesome it is to hear their first born children read, etc. Then I found out that one girl who is doing GREAT is now up to reading Bob Books Level 2. Which is WONDERFUL but helps me know we aren't that far "behind" like I thought. ;)

I love that I can check my sons progress (and only his :)) with this site. :clap: My husband reminds me not to compare and he's right, of course. I think I am just really not familiar with the process of reading. There is so much more to teaching it (to a sometimes reluctant student) that I thought!! I have learned some patience... and not to talk to my friends about reading levels! :lol:

Anyhow, great widget. Thanks!

11-06-2009, 06:44 AM
Thanks Julie!

11-06-2009, 10:46 AM
I have also found Accelerated Reader listings to be very helpful in choosing books at the right level.

You can type in a book title AR Level on google and you will get the level for that book.

What I really like about this is that rather than saying 2nd grade level for instance, you will get a listing like 2.1 or 2.9. The first number is the grade level, the second number is the month. So a book with a 2.1 listing is rated as second grade first month, and the 2.9 is second grade ninth month.

I find that especially for my youngers or reluctant readers this really helps to choose a book that will not be too much for them. There can be such a big difference in a 2.1 book vs a 2.9 book for instance. Enough to cause a melt down for some of my dc.