PDA

View Full Version : Can I pare this down anymore? Help.

Oney
11-03-2009, 03:07 PM
:unsure:

This is what we are doing for 6th and 7th "grades"

Math U See
Spelling Wisdom
Mystery of History (we only read the lesson and put figures in a Book of Centuries)
Beyond FIAR book and a few lessons--not all of them.
Apologia Botany (CM style-- read, narrate, do the experiments--no notebooking or busy work)

I know part of it is because I'm trying to do my school work too but I feel like I'm on a hamster wheel. :wornout:

The past two weeks we've done probably 4 real days of school work. :eyes:

CJ
11-03-2009, 03:24 PM
If you do the above, how long does it take you all to do?

Oney
11-03-2009, 03:31 PM
CJ--depending on the boys' attitudes ;) about 4 hours if we really study, discuss, and try to learn something and not just read for the sake of saying words...kwim? Sometimes though.... it's not so pretty.

Tami in IA
11-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Oney,
My kids are still in 1st and 2nd grade, so take this for what it's worth. ;)

Could you do switch between MoH and Botany.
Week one M-W-F: MoH T-Th: Bontany
Week two M-W-F: Bontany T-Th: MoH

Would that put you too far off track?

Julie Y
11-03-2009, 04:32 PM
How much of it do they do independently, and how much do you have to be "right there" for?

Rachel Jane
11-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Oney,

Could you do switch between MoH and Botany.
Week one M-W-F: MoH T-Th: Bontany
Week two M-W-F: Bontany T-Th: MoH

This is a good idea. Also, what can they do independently?

This is how I would set up the day:

~Beyond FIAR book and a few lessons--not all of them.

~Mystery of History (we only read the lesson and put figures in a Book of Centuries) or Apologia Botany (CM style-- read, narrate, do the experiments--no notebooking or busy work)

~Spelling Wisdom - independently, but with you in the room studying your lessons

~Math U See ~independently, but with you in the room studying your lessons

ShayChristie
11-03-2009, 04:43 PM
What I do with my 7th grader is:

MUS(1 pg day, independently)
Apples Spelling(1 pg day, independently)
Analytical Grammar(only doing Season One this year, I teach the lesson M and he works independently rest of the week))
Beyond FIAR(I go over the lessons of the day, what I want for each and he does it and notebooks it)

I feel pretty confident that he is getting enough history and science from Beyond. I'll save formal history and science for high school. Our day takes about 2-3 hours depending on the Beyond assignments and how into it he gets. :)

I'll add in that this child works well by himself. My oldest still needs lots of mom input, although he's made vast improvements over the past year.

So, my opinion is yes, you can pare it down, and if you need permission, you have mine. :D Sometimes I know we just need a hug though, so here's one of those. ;) :group:

Gail in NY
11-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Shay - you are too good to us! :group:

Oney - I like your choices and the good ideas you have gotten here. Hmmm......I have a 7th grader. Thanks for the ideas! Sorry I couldn't help you!

Dawn Gilmore
11-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Oney,

I'm offering this from experience, because I have a 16 yo with a HUGE gap... I've seriously neglected writing (composition, not handwriting... ironically, he has beautiful handwriting... sadly, he has difficulty communicating with the written word, and it's something we are trying to remedy at this rather late date.)

That's something you might want to consider... I know you were looking to pare down what you had, not something to add, but I just wanted to offer that up to you (and any other moms) to not overlook written communication in lieu of spelling, grammar, literature and other language arts. Now, you may give your children plenty of opportunities to write, but you didn't mention it in your list. This working/homeschooling thing is hard, but we need to be careful to not back off on the quality of education... it has to be something else(other activities) that gets cut when mom goes to work.

Michele WV
11-03-2009, 05:57 PM
I love Dawn's input. I have one graduating this year and three 7th graders. We work on a little composition each week, depending on the writer's ability level. A journal entry each day that doesn't get redlined, then paragraphs, essays and larger writing assignments based off of our history or science or independent reading.

:group::group::group: If they can read on their own, I'd load them up on living books as well....stuff you don't have to have your hands on.

I really like the idea of alternating history and science. We don't use a spelling program ( though I only have one kiddo who is a natural speller :perplex: we correct spelling from our writing work)

Chris-AL
11-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Oney,

We have MOH on DVD and listen to it in the car. I keep the DVD's in the car and we listen(and re-listen) to them on the way to karate or dance or pre-school. It just becomes a habit and a good discussion starter.

This is the first year I've done this. DS has dyslexia and I needed to make history a non-reading subject while we concentrate on our new phonics/hw curriculum.

I bet you could schedule just one time a week to plot any timeline figures you've covered and touch on any topics you wanted to discuss further.

Julie in AZ
11-04-2009, 06:01 AM
Oney,

We have MOH on DVD and listen to it in the car. I keep the DVD's in the car and we listen(and re-listen) to them on the way to karate or dance or pre-school. It just becomes a habit and a good discussion starter.

This is the first year I've done this. DS has dyslexia and I needed to make history a non-reading subject while we concentrate on our new phonics/hw curriculum.

I bet you could schedule just one time a week to plot any timeline figures you've covered and touch on any topics you wanted to discuss further.

Listening to CDs are a good idea. You could save some time there. My ds has all the Diana Waring history CDs and loves listening to them.

Lori D
11-04-2009, 11:50 AM
I don't know if you can pare it down anymore, but remember this is only a snippet of time in your children's homeschool years. If you are not able to get to everything it is okay. Listening to cds and taking advantage of other media (computer games, movies- things you don't have to "teach") is a good idea. Some years we did a lot , others were pretty meager. I think it balanced out--(speaking of my adult dc here).

laurie in ok
11-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Oney - something I did when I taught sixth grade was make a reading list. It had several different genres included and they were all great books. The kids were required to read one book each month and write a report. They also had to do an oral presentation over the book with some type of visual aid they created. This was something that was completely independent. It would help give your kids some independent work along with some reading and writing.

Lori G
11-04-2009, 05:08 PM
For my 6th & 7th graders this year we are doing:

Beyond FIAR
Saxon 76
Christian Light Education: Language Arts & Reading
Ind. Bible and Family Bible

We do a co-op class on Friday mornings: Economics, cooking and P.E

I do get books from the library that go along with our BFIAR studies, but I just require that they read it and we may talk about it.

I plan to have them do typing again this year and I know I need to have them do more writing.... infact my 4 middle kids all need more writing but I have such a hard time teaching it when I can't. Also, adding in another thing is just too much for this sick momma.
It is what it is, and hopefully this summer I can have them work on writing.
:group:

Julie Y
11-04-2009, 05:44 PM
They also had to do an oral presentation over the book with some type of visual aid they created.
What a fun idea!

Chris-AL
11-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Sorry, I meant MOH CD, not DVD.

Oney
11-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks ladies. I haven't been ignoring you. I'm in Littleton for a few days with Morgan. We went to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert in Springs Wednesday afternoon. Fantastic experience!

Dawn, I appreicate your words and advice more than you know. We haven't done a lot of formal writing but we will begin to do so. Laurie, thanks for the idea. Would you consider recommending books. Eli is a stronger reader than Ethan...Ethan still has trouble with comprehension and retaining information when he reads. (If that matters to you on a list of selections.)

Wow.. OK- we do have the MOH on CD's... I'll have to utilize those more I think.

More to think about. Thanks so much for your suggestions...and hugs!