PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Coop classes

Jamie S
11-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Hello!

I am on our education committee for our Homeschool group. We are looking for ideas for classes for our next semester - how about your and your kids' favorites?

Thanks!

Kim L
11-05-2009, 05:20 PM
I need some new ideas myself.
I just taught a recorder class. I use a program called Recorder Karate. They get to earn a colored 'belt' for each new song. It went really well. I plan on using it again. Google it to find it.
I also have done a reading around the world class using FIAR books. The kids always like that.
I also used Discovering Great ARtists by Mary Ann Kohl and we studied a different artist each week. I read a short book about them and then we painted in their style.
A class another mom has been doing that is a big hit with the girls is American Girls. She does one girl for the whole coop. They read the book and do all kinds of activities each week.

Alicia
11-05-2009, 06:16 PM
We've done a Konos co-op and a FIAR co-op that we loved! :)

Rachel Jane
11-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Science Experiments
Robotics
Languages

How about an etiquette class (male and female)?

Dawn of KS
11-05-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm in the same position. We had 67 classes offered at our co-op this semester; next semester, I think, we're looking at about 55-60. When we started putting the schedule together we only had 45, but several have stepped up to teach. We have classes preschool through high school. I've taught a Beyond class the last three semesters. Next semester I was thinking of art/music history using the book, Discovering Great Artists, so I'm glad to see that's been done.

It'll be interesting to see what other suggestions people have. If you want to look at our co-op's website, let me know and I'll link it for you.

CyndiinOKC
11-05-2009, 08:03 PM
We are doing Grammar/Writing, History Odyssey (for the older group), French (starting next semester with French in Action), Science, (was Chemistry with Real Science for Kids, but it was too elementary, my dear), Mystery of History for the youngers, and we are considering:

knitting
photography
Artistic Pursuits
and others I can't think of at the moment.

Heather W
11-05-2009, 09:04 PM
coin collecting
Pioneer Crafts
graphic novel
Knot Tying
soccer
puppet making- very cute stuff coming out of this class right now
First Lego League (http://www.usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/fll/content.aspx?id=15169)teams- my husband and I are coaching one FLL team through co-op right now. Our competition is next Sunday the 15th. We are working on programming the robot with the kids and making sure they have a poster and presentation ready to roll by then as well. The kids are VERY excited. Here's a shot (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8157187616506844257#) of a competition. Here is an update (http://blogshewrote.blogspot.com/2009/11/first-lego-league-update.html) on what our team is currently up to
Junior First Lego League (http://www.usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/jfll/default.aspx?id=818) teams- I'm coaching two more of the Jr teams this year for my other co-op class.
chess
Cut and Create
Imitating the Masters Art Class
Storybook Science
Story and Fun
Advanced Sewing- independent study type class
Patchwork and Pillows
Explorations in Science (I taught this one last semester)
Inventors 101- VERY fun class
American Sign Language
Recorder
Drums
battery science (with the Klutz book)
drama
play- every so often there is a play. Sometimes we buy the rights and sometimes it is one written by a high schooler- like we had a screen play of Prince Caspian done by a high schooler that was excellent one semester. Try outs are very soon for The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe for next semester.
Jumprope! This has been fun to watch but they are doing double dutch and all kinds of stuff. Just Monday I saw a girl jumping a regular jumprope while jumping a long rope between two people. How is that not fun?? PERFECT extracurricular for a co-op time.:)

These are some of the things our kids have loved or the classes that have made presentations at co-op night at the end of the semester.

I'm a member of our co-op committee and we usually ask for the parents to send us their class ideas and then we sit down as a committee and approve them, try to improve the suggestions based on what we know has been successful, and then we fill in the gaps by asking parents to take up a class for a particular age group.

So you never know what you'll get from semester to semester. It's definitely a fun co-op!

ETA- the philosophy of our co-op has always been to offer fun, extracurricular type of classes and not so much the hardcore stuff. Our LEAH chapter leader feels strongly about this and I have to say that it provides the extra fun and creativity we need in our week. The results have been amazing when parents share what they know or what they want to be challenged to know. It's been a great experience.

CINDY LB OH
11-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Right now our co-op is simple with music, art, and gym class. But, imho, it's starting to get a little boring. So I'm glad to have your ideas too. The older kids will substitute drama instead of music. Drama is a favorite around here.

In the past I've taught classes using the state quarters, and the lewis and clark nickel series. Someone did a Billy and Blaze book club-type class as well. We've also done beginning languages, knitting, and cooking.

I've heard of classes using Magic School Bus as a take off point.

There are lots of great suggestions here so far. I like the idea of letting moms submit their ideas and then the leadership approving, etc. I'm currently on our leadership team so I'm definitely passing these ideas on.

Jamie S
11-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks Ladies!

Dawn I would love to see the link!

Great ideas!

Thanks again!

Dawn of KS
11-07-2009, 02:51 AM
Here's the link to the classes: http://wwhm.info/classes/detailed-class-descriptions/

You're welcome to look around the site.

Might give someone some ideas.

Kim L
11-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Great ideas. Thanks for the wonderful link Dawn. I'm going to share this thread w/our coop director!

laurie in ok
11-12-2009, 10:08 PM
I am teaching an American Girl class this year that we are all loving.

My kids love their Apologia Atronomy class they are taking.

Our co-op has a Dangerous Boys class from the book that looks sooooo fun.

Another idea I'm looking into is a science discovery class. Basically, you take shoe boxes and put different items into each box. The kids have to take the items from the box, formulate a hypothesis and create an experiment to test it. They keep detailed notes of the process and write a conclusion. If their hypothesis proves correct - they have other students in the class test it to see if the experiment is repeatable.