PDA

View Full Version : The Carrot Seed

Edwena
04-03-2007, 08:40 AM
We also are going to be doing The Carrot Seed next week. I thought I'd start a new thread if we want to put down some ideas we've come up with so far or gleaned from other places. I'm glad you all talked about starting your plantings this week so there's some progress for next week. I never thought of that. Thanks. I'll log in later and record some ideas I've had or gleaned from other resources.

Edwena:roflol:

Ely in Chicago
04-03-2007, 02:07 PM
...my first question is what to plant? I have to start on pots and then transfer somewhere like Grandma's house (we live in apartment).

Also the archives got some great ideas. I like the one about making a card with a drawing of the boy and the carrot and write patience for it. And use it as a reminder of this virtue.

We will bake a carrot cake and the end of the week.

Do the Growth Chart mentioned on the manual.

Do the Carrot Top Experiment

Talk about seeds and growing and caring for them, etc.

AndreaD
04-03-2007, 04:23 PM
In the manual there is a recommendation for a book- Linnea's Garden (I don't think that's the title- but something simliar) The book has SOOOO many ideas of things to plant and watch grow. Give it a try. :D

Edwena
04-04-2007, 09:51 PM
We are going to go visit a nursery. I found a video at our library called Linnea in Monet's Garden. I have not watched it yet though. There is a book by the same title. Maybe for those who don't have much room you could purchase a micro terrarium. I've seen them at the store. They are super small. The website for them is www.dunecraft.com.

Edwena

Holly S
04-05-2007, 09:57 AM
I tried to get a dried bean to sprout for this book, but nothing ever happened...maybe you would have better luck than me? :lol:

AshleyC
04-05-2007, 03:28 PM
We are going to do that book next week. I read about an art idea in Mailbox magazine. We are going to get use a carrot to paint with (well, probably 2). We are going to use the greens of one to paint green paint onto a picture of a carrot and we're going to cut off the tip of another carrot and use it to paint orabge circles onto the body of the carrot.

Robin H in VA
04-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Hi Holly

How were you trying to sprout your bean? What kind of bean, although that shouldn't matter?

Edwena
04-06-2007, 02:12 PM
For those in southern Ohio and Northern KY, we just went to the Krohn Conservatory today. That would be great to do with The Carrot Seed. My 4 1/2 year old kept asking what's this and what's that, and we haven't even read the book yet. Hope this helps someone.

Edwena

Ely in Chicago
04-10-2007, 09:56 AM
This book has given us so much to talk about!

I asked my son why did he think the family told the boy "it won't come up"...

His answer: "Because they knew it was going to take a looong time" :lol:

Then I asked him what would the boy do if the seed never grew...

His answer: "He would have try with peas" :lol:

I thought these answers were so good and interesting. I was very suprised.

We talked about what a profile is. He understood it very well and then started to look at other books' picture and to spot other profiles.

Then...this was so funny...he grabbed a closed book and put it against his cheek and stood sideways and said "see...I am a profile now". :lol:

I also collected lots of different seeds from things we ate and the boys had a lot of fun playing with them and trying to guess what fruit/veggie they would grow up to be.

We will be doing some planting of our own later this week and finish our week with a yummy carrot cake! :yum:

THANKS BFIAR FOR SUCH WONDERFUL MEMORIES! :clap:

Amanda Williams
04-10-2007, 02:10 PM
What wonderful memories, Ely!
Thanks for sharing! :roflol:

Edwena
04-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Although we at the end of our time with The Carrot Seed, we found another great book at the library in the new book section. It's called, Seeds, Seeds, Seeds by Nancy Elizabeth Wallace. It's about a bear who receives five colorful bags in the mail from his grandfather. He finds a surprise in each bag, and with each surprise he discovers something wonderful about sees. Whether he sorts, collects, eats, or creates with seeds, he has fun. We are going to continue with seeds for awhile although we'll be doing other books too.

We planted 12 bean seeds and dug one up today. So far it had a root on it. We were all very excited!:clap: We also did the book Linnea in Monet's Garden. When the children were painting they were saying that they were Monet. We've had such a fun time.

Edwena:roflol: