View Full Version : Phonics help please...

Shannon F.
11-07-2009, 08:00 PM
My dd is in pre k. She has been learning her letters and the sounds they make. I am looking for a curriculum to teach her phonics. I used SSRW with my ds and I did not like it. I thought it was going to be fun for him as he loves music, but he didn't like it at all. I am looking for something strong in phonics, colorful and easy to use. Any suggestions? I am planning on using All about Spelling with her as well. I know that will reinforce the phonics concepts; but I wasn't sure when to start that with her. :unsure:

11-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Before you try anything else, give www.progressivephonics.com a try. It's colorful and FREE! :thumb:

Mary FL
11-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Did you try the SSRW with your daughter? Sometimes things work for other students that you weren't able to use with the others.

Also free is

We used Hooked on Phonics with success.

Paige P
11-08-2009, 07:04 AM
Just in case you still have SSRW around and want to attempt it with your dd..... I "adapted" the lessons to not be as writing intensive. I made my dc copy about 8 words from each "side" of @20 words (aren't there about 40 on a page?). Plus, I didn't make them memorize the spelling. I finally figured out that my goal was reading, not spelling, and that spelling would come. I've been right thus far :D If they learn how to read phonetically and then read and read and read, spelling seems to fall in place. JMO.

11-08-2009, 07:32 AM
I'm using All About Spelling with my 3yo. We just move slowly and play lots of games. She knows all the 26 alphabet letter and is working on blending and learning more phonograms. She has an interest in writing and when she is interested I show her how to write a letter or two but that is all the writing she does. We use the tiles and play games like memory and find the sound and things like that.

If All About Spelling is what you plan to use, I would go ahead and start. Other Spalding based programs recommend learning the phonograms around the age of 4 or 5 so she just the right age to start. ;)

Shannon F.
11-08-2009, 06:06 PM
I sold SSRW to buy the Rod and Staff that we switched to after SSRW. I did like the readers that we used with that set. I didn't feel like there was enough phonics practice with the worksheets though. I liked Rod and Staff because it was a lot of phonics practice. But, I don't know about R&S K set because we started midway through first grade.

Paige, I'm not sure about your assumption of spelling coming if you learn to read by phonics. I'm a horrible speller! I didn't learn the rules of spelling though, heck, I didn't even know there were rules until I had to start teaching Noah! That is the one thing I love about All about Spelling.

Anyway, thank you ladies for laying out the options for me. I need to look back at SSRW and see how I could make AAS work for us. I am using HWT for letter practice. Caitlyn doesn't love it, but she does like using the wooden pieces to make the letters. She might be more of a workbook type instead of a hands on learner. Not sure yet. :unsure:

Paige P
11-08-2009, 07:39 PM
About the spelling .... I'm sure all learners are different. I've just seen my girls learn to read with SSRW and then practice reading, and the more they read, the better spellers they become. I started Katie with formal spelling this year with Sequential Spelling (she's in 3rd). My mom (a retired elementary teacher) continually tells me how amazed she is at dd's spelling to have never had it formally taught until now. I had to completely re-adjust MY way of thinking, though. It was ingrained in me that spelling has to be part of the program from the beginning. Then I started reading about the waiting and letting it happen that many hsers use, decided to try it that way, and it worked for us. I will say that it wasn't immediate. 1st grade was complete phonetic spelling. 2nd grade got much better, and by 3rd (even without SS), she's a good speller.

Now that's worked for us, but I KNOW there are plenty of children out there who just need the memorization. Period. They need the rules spelled out and need to practice them.

I just went into all of this, though, b/c I'd never heard of waiting until I started reading up on it once I started hsing. PLEASE don't think I'm saying I'm right and you're wrong -- that's NOT how I want it to come across at all. Again, all learners are different...... It's just an approach that different than traditional "school." ;)

Shannon F.
11-08-2009, 08:42 PM
I was just sort of kidding about the spelling not happening. I haven't really done anything formal with Noah either until this year (3rd grade). I didn't really do the SSRW spelling. I was so overwhelmed by homeschooling the first year and his lack of fine motor skills, I just mainly hit the reading part of it. And, it did work well. He was reading great before we got through the program, so I think it was successful. He is really doing well with AAS, he is learning the rules and I think his spelling is getting better.

I was (and am still) one of those kids who needed the rules and just to memorize them. I think I would have been better if I had memorized the rules instead of just memorizing how the spell the words for the test.

I don't mind you telling me I'm wrong either! I appreciate all the wisdom I can get! I know you are a wonderful mom and teacher, so I appreciate your opinion!:kiss:

Laura F
11-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Shannon, it's not a colorful program, but I love Reading Made Easy! It's full of b&w illustrations, and I'm planning on starting Sarah after she finishes the Explode the Code primers. You can come over and look at my copy if you'd like!

Nancy Ann
11-08-2009, 09:44 PM
I like progressive phonics as well.

Also Star Fall is another free program that is colorful and easy to use. Star Fall is a free internet gamesite. Really great and a safe site to play on.

Happy Phonics may not necessarily be EASY to use. It's basically a bunch of games. You have to cut out all the cards and stuff. But just cut out gradually as you use them.

DD in IL
11-08-2009, 09:57 PM
I like Abeka