PDA

View Full Version : Starting over and intimidated

Sarah
11-10-2009, 09:07 AM
We have all just moved and it resulted in my 11yo leaving public school and homeschooling again! :D:clap::clap::hop::thumb:
I am thrilled, but also intimidated. She has only been in public school for 1 1/2 years, but now I don't know where to go with her. I have her math books from school and she likes that, but I haven't rowed with a child this big and I don't know what else to add. What do you add to fiar with an 11 year old?

Melinda
11-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Yeah, Sarah! I know you are excited about these changes! :clap:

I have no advice, but just want you to know that I think of your family often during these difficult times. :group:

Julie Y
11-10-2009, 11:02 AM
You may want to sit with her and talk to her about what she feels like she needs at this point. What was she doing in public school that she wants to continue?

My 11 yo, in addition to FIAR and math (a fractions book), is writing a one-page essay three times per week, doing spelling (phonetic zoo), reading a historical book (biography, usually) and a "literature" book. For the literature book, I sometimes get the audio book and she listens while reading the book. Oh and she has daily bible study homework. We "do school" only three days per week because she goes to an enrichment program one day and bible study one day.

Sarah
11-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Thanks Melinda, that is so sweet that you remember me! Julie, thanks for the great advice as always.

Rebe
11-11-2009, 12:26 PM
My 11yo dd is doing (aside from BY or the other similar curriculum she does with her brother):

- MCP math every day
- Rod & Staff English 5 every day
- Bible/memory work/catechism every day
- Spelling Power 3x/week
- Keyboarding (her choice to start it earlier than I would have) 2x/week
- Logic (Mind Benders) once a week
- Artist/Composer study once a week (this is a family thing we do together)

But I agree with Julie that you should find out what she's done and what she wants to do. But BY FIAR is such a change from standard "school" that I'm sure it'll be refreshing and new to her to learn in that way!

Congratulations and I hope you have a wonderful time with her!