PDA

View Full Version : Math workbook reccomendations?

Sonia
11-10-2009, 11:19 AM
I have students from 6th grade down to PreK. I would like to be able to get workbooks from one source. Would you ladies be willing to share your favorite workbooks? What was good about them? What was bad?

Cheryl in SoCal
11-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Are you wanting to *just* buy workbooks? My favorite program with workbooks is Math U See because of the way Dr Demme teaches math but there is more to purchase than workbooks (DVD & manipulatives, neither of which I would do without).

CJ
11-10-2009, 01:59 PM
We have kept elementary-age math simple and clear using this series:
http://www.lamppostpublishing.com/mathmcp.htm

I have never needed the teacher's edition.

Then in 6/7th we moved on to Life Of Fred or Teaching Textbooks.

Carol S
11-10-2009, 02:53 PM
I have liked Math Mammoth, which is available ebook style and is very inexpensive. It hasn't been our primary math curric, but it's helped fill the gap several times.

Sonia
11-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Thank you.

Nancy Ann
11-10-2009, 09:48 PM
I agree Modern Curriculum Press is a great workbook curriculum. Very complete.

There is nothing bad about these workbooks that I can tell. They have come highly recommended from the author Mary Hood of the Relaxed Homeschooler and also Cathy Duffy. They didn't work for us because I decided against using workbooks. I have one son I am teaching and decided I wanted a more hands on approach. So we went to Right Start.

Modern Curriculum Press workbooks are a cut above simple math workbooks from Barnes and Noble. They feel more like a curriculum than workbooks if that makes sense.

I have the second grade workbook that I think just the first few pages is used. You can PM me and send me your address and I can put it in the mail for you. No cost..

Rebe
11-10-2009, 10:31 PM
We use MCP math through 6th grade (or whenever they're ready for Teaching Textbooks 7). We've also used the "Key To" series and that's really good, too, and very cheap.

Penny
11-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Christian Light Education math series.:clap: I love it so much that I am now using the Reading and LA programs as well. We have tried tons of curriculum and this is by far our fav curriculum.(besides fiar.)

HTH,

Penny

Lori D
11-25-2009, 01:09 AM
I was going to say MCP or Abeka. I have only used them at the younger grades (4th and younger), but found them both effective.

Lindy S.
11-27-2009, 09:25 PM
We use Rightstart for our main math curriculum. However, since this curriculum is not heavy in worsheets I like to download from Math Mammoth - it has a similar approach to math as the RS! I use it mostly for filler or when one of my kiddos says that they'd like a worksheet! Great prices too!