PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on stretching out FIAR

Julie in FL
11-11-2009, 01:56 PM
We will be starting FIAR vol. 1 in January and I wanted to get some ideas from those of you who stretch the books and teaching out over 2 weeks. For example, do you add an extra science project the second week or an extra art lessons, etc.

Thanks for any ideas!!:)

Julie

CJ
11-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Probably not what you're looking for, but in the past at times, we have simply done FIAR on Mon/Wed/Fri/Mon/Wed/Fri with the 6th day being for review and wrap up in putting things away and returning library books. We took a picture of everything we did arranged with the books and the students as well.

Julie in FL
11-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks CJ..this gives me an idea. If you don't mind me asking, what did you do on Tue. & Thur.? I want to keep our "school" days to 3 days a week at least until kindergarten, which will be next fall.

Jeni
11-11-2009, 06:02 PM
I usually only stretch the Volume 4 books over 2 weeks and that is quite easy to do because of the shear number of lessons ideas for each book in Volume 4. However, doing a book for two week's straight gets boring sometimes. Jane Claire suggested that we do two weeks, but not two consecutive weeks and that made 2 weeks of one book much more palatable for us. :thumb:

If you really wanted to stretch Volumes 1-3 out, you could follow bunny trails or use archive ideas but really, for us, we reaped for more from rowing one week and then rowing again 6 months to a year later when the kids have a little more maturity and understanding and take away different lessons that would have been over their heads before. ;)

Julie in FL
11-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks Jeni, I did think that reading the same book for 2 weeks would get boring and I thought about adding other books that go along with the FIAR book. My plan is to only do "school" 3 days a week, since my dd will only be 4.5 when we start.

Suz MamaFrog
11-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Julie,

Here's my sugggestion:

Week 1 - FIAR on Mon, Wed. Fri.
Week 2 - FIAR on Mon and Wed. and go-alongs on Fri.

You'd have your 3 day school week. You'd get all 5 days of FIAR lessons. You'd not have to read the book 10 times, just 5. You'd have an extra day for reading go-alongs, following bunny trails, ideas from the archives, field trips related to the title, etc.

I only did 3 day weeks for preK with my dc and it worked out fine. On the days we weren't doing school, we had plenty of time for play, stories, library trips, LIFE (you know - running errands, appts., play dates, etc.)

HTH!

Blessings!
Suz

CJ
11-11-2009, 08:46 PM
On one day we did errands and the park or other physical or educational outing.

On the other day we did in a relaxed way:

Morning ~
daily scripture
games (Peggy Kaye's books or board games or software)
art or craft time (open ended, student directed)
story time (a chapter from a read aloud)
free play

-Lunch-

physical play or exercise
educational show or movie
physical play or exercise again
siesta (horizontal in rooms for 90 minutes)

Hope that helps!
:D

Julie in FL
11-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks Suz and CJ this helps!!! A LOT!!!