View Full Version : My ds is so slow to progress in reading...

Lindy S.
11-11-2009, 01:33 PM
I've read about this often and I think that I'm looking for encouragement but advice would be taken as well! My ds, 7 and in second grade, has known his letter sounds since the age of 3. He's gone through The Reading Lesson, he's done Headsprout, we're now doing All About Spelling, we've done those popular workbook phonics program (blanking on what they're called right now), I have him read every day. I guess I'm just so frustrated because I hear of other kids, much younger than him who have done what we've done and now their child reads at a 3rd or 4th grade reading level. He just doesn't remember so many of the phonics rules that he's learned over the years. So, is there a problem? Is he just slow? Will it ever CLICK? Am I missing something? Any thoughts would be so very much appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, I truly appreciate it.

debbie in ak
11-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Reading is a developmental thing...it will click for him when he is ready. One of the things we used is the methods in Reading Rescue 1-2-3 (http://www.succeedtoread.com/readingrescue.html). It's ok if he isn't at the same level as other kids...more than likely things will click and then he will catch up to others. This is what happened with my youngest.

Alice R
11-11-2009, 02:31 PM
My daughter is 7.5 and it has just clicked now. And it's not a strong click either. :unsure:

I posted a month or so ago about how I realized she did not have a FIRM foundation in phonics. :eek: I have no idea how that could be. She lives in my house! :lol: We are all big readers and I've been working on reading with her forever.

It is developmental. Sometimes it takes a long time. Sometime it's a red flag. And that is where if feels scary. :group: We are all there with ya! :group:

What is his reading level exactly?

I have no idea if this is helpful or not but I found Dianne Craft's materials to be a blessing and totally explains how my daughter thinks and processes information. (quite differently from my older sons and me!)

I have gone back and almost rewritten the entire Phonics Pathways book using color markers and sorting out the words to make visual patterns for her.

molly in cr
11-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Ds9 also struggles/ed. His younger brother even caught up with him. I think it just comes more naturally to some than others. He is still doing Explode the Code and I just kept having him practice with things that he could read without being frustrated (him).

He is just now reading on his own instead of reading to me daily. While I could get discouraged that he is still at the Magic Tree House level, I remind myself that he IS progressing.

Pounding in the phonics and practice, practice, practice is what helped around here.

:group: It's hard, I know.

11-11-2009, 03:30 PM
At 7yo, my ds couldn't read more than a BOB book. It frustrated him far more than me. He's a math guy and I had to stress that to him as he was SOOO upset and self-conscious about his lack of reading! :sad:

It's only been the past year he's started reading actual books(easy readers) and we will finish RME this week. He just started his first Hank the Cowdog book yesterday! I finally found a few easier chapter book boxes in our storage this week. :D

Agreeing with the others. One day it will click and he'll fly to where his "peers" are, but until then, stress won't make it easier for either of you! If he was 10-12, I'd say worry. But a 7yob? It's pretty common for them to not be reading up to "level". :)

11-11-2009, 03:32 PM
I agree that it's developmental. He'll read with he's ready, and not before. It'll click.

My ds is 8, in 2nd grade. He's known his letter sounds since age two (thank you, Letter Factory). He doesn't really enjoy reading and it's quite difficult for him. He's sounding out words that I think should be easy, and that he's seen many times. It just hasn't clicked. I'm not worrying ... yet. I don't see any red flags, just that he's a struggling reader who doesn't really enjoy it.

I hear of other kids, much younger than him who have done what we've done and now their child reads at a 3rd or 4th grade reading level.

Here's the flip side of that: My older two had NO reading training whatsoever (well, my dd spent about a month doing Bob books with me, but that's it). Ds was reading fluently right as he turned 5 and dd was reading fluently at a few months past that. With no help from me. I know that many, many other moms can tell the same story. So it's not what you do, sometimes. It really is when they're ready for it.

My middle son has thrown me for a loop because I expected him to also be an early and fluent reader. :no: Not gonna happen. I've been using Explode the Code (about to start the ones focusing on comprehension). I don't know if it's helping or not, but it gives him some more practice with reading and writing each day, which is good.

Sue C
11-11-2009, 09:03 PM
:group: I just wanted to give you a hug. :sad: I'm there with you only with my 2nd grader on math. I just feel your pain and wanted to let you know. So....go on with the advice ladies......

11-12-2009, 12:54 AM
My son is 6 and is just *starting* to learn to read. He's struggled through 2 bob books with me helping and is excited about it, so I feel like this is 100% improvement from all the frowns I got before when I tried to do any pre-reading activities with him. He's very articulate so in this case, those two things aren't connected. It could be just when they are ready? :unsure:

I like this widget that someone posted on here. (sorry I know your name but it's late!) http://bookwizard.scholastic.com/tbw/homePage.do

And this word family game.

All we are doing right now is Bob books and this game. I feel SO MUCH better after looking at the book wizard to see that my friends kids really aren't that much further ahead like I thought. I've also heard over and over that by 3rd grade most kids level out...

HTH :group:

Julie in AZ
11-12-2009, 06:43 AM
We were in a similar situation with my ds. :group: One thing you may want to consider is a visit with a developmental optometrist if you haven't already. My ds needed glasses and vision therapy. We were able to use Dianne Craft's book and do the therapy at home saving thousands of dollars. It really made a difference!

11-12-2009, 07:51 AM
My 7 year old is in the same boat (only he's in 1st grade). He CAN read, but it's very hard for him so he doesn't even try. I just keep plugging away with him and hope one of these days everything will click.

I know the reading bug hit my two middle children around 3rd grade. But they could all read well at the end of Kindergarten. Ethan...not so much.

11-12-2009, 08:07 AM
We were in a similar situation with my ds. :group: One thing you may want to consider is a visit with a developmental optometrist if you haven't already. My ds needed glasses and vision therapy.

I was going to mention this too. My 7 year old daughter had eye focusing issues that was causing her not to be able to read. We visited a developmental optometrist too and my daughter is now wearing glasses and doing at home vision therapy. I wouldn't call her a reader yet.....and she is now 8. But, she has made a 100% improvement from where we were at before glasses and therapy.

Alice R
11-12-2009, 08:35 AM
Good point.

I did take Alise to check her vision. My husband, my oldest son and I all wear glasses so it's not unreasonable to think she might have something going on.

She said she was fine. :cool:

Lindy S.
11-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Thank you for all for the advice, hugs and encouragement! It's exactly what I needed - just a little something to keep on pushing through and realize that I am not a failure! You ladies ROCK, thanks a lot! Be blessed!