PDA

View Full Version : The Runaway Bunny

Brooke-FL
04-03-2007, 02:37 PM
We are rowing Runaway Bunny this week. After a busy day yesterday trying to get our house ready for an appraisal, we jumped into Runaway Bunny today. Today we read the book a few times and talked about the pictures. We are going to color some pictures that I printed out later.

Tomorrow we are going to our local zoo for storytime. We may stop off at the pet store to look at rabbits.

We are going to attempt to make a bunny cake one day this week as well! Should be a lot of fun as we love to bake things! My oldest dd loves to be a big helper!

Any other suggestions for The Runaway Bunny?? I love hearing what others do with the books!

AndreaD
04-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Sounds like fun!

My youngest ds and I read this book a couple weeks ago when our crocus were blooming. I took him outside to see the crocus. He got so excited, he's begun noticing flowers around him, and loves to learn their names. He knows Crocus and Dafodils. I'm sure as more flowers bloom, we'll continue to learn flower names.

We also hopped around like Bunnies.

Robin H in VA
04-03-2007, 08:40 PM
:hi: Brooke

We are doing bunny and rabbit books, not really rowing this week. Just trying to tie all of our books together with Easter.

I wanted to say though, we too are going to be doing bunny/rabbit cakes. Yes plural. I purchased a cake pan from Michael's (I think) and it has six bunny face molds in the pan. I think we may make one for each of the grandparents for Easter and some extras for our neighbor and one for ds' brother and sister. I am hoping to start making the cakes tomarrow and then frost on Thursday.

We are also doing Easter egg hunt (in the back yard) all week and then color eggs on Friday or Saturday.

Have fun with Runaway Bunny this week.

Ronette in CA
04-03-2007, 10:29 PM
He got so excited, he's begun noticing flowers around him, and loves to learn their names. He knows Crocus and Dafodils. I'm sure as more flowers bloom, we'll continue to learn flower names.

Wow! Andrea, your 18 month old can say Crocus and Dafodils?:eek: Mine just wanders around saying "wa wa" for flower!:lol:

Brooke, your week sounds great!

Holly S
04-03-2007, 11:47 PM
http://www.harperchildrens.com/features/runaway.htm

This website has coloring pictures for Runaway Bunny and Goodnight Moon. Have fun with the bunny cake!

AndreaD
04-04-2007, 09:11 AM
Wow! Andrea, your 18 month old can say Crocus and Dafodils?:eek: Mine just wanders around saying "wa wa" for flower!:lol:

:lol: I should mention that I'm the only one who understands him when he's saying crocus and dafodil- and I only know because that's what he's pointing at. :roflol:

AshleyC
04-05-2007, 04:42 PM
I'm so glad there's a thread for this book! I am just lost on ideas. For some reason, I just really don't care for this book at all and I feel like I'm the only one in America who feels like that. DD *loves* it. It has grown on me a little, but mostly just because I have so much respect for Margaret Wise Brown and I like the interplay between illustrations in this book and Goodnight Moon. But Goodnight Moon took a *long* time to grow on me too. I didn't read either as a child. Maybe that's why? Anyway, the point of my posting was that we're about to do this book and I was at a loss of what to do and I was excited to see some ideas. :)

Holly S
04-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Ashley,
This is probably my least favorite of the BFIAR books...so there's a least one other person who doesn't really care for this book! :lol: I'm not really sure why it's not a favorite, but I pull it out every once in awhile for my DC and try to show as much enthusiasm in case they really like it.

Candace C
04-05-2007, 05:29 PM
I'm so surprised people don't like this book! I had never read it as a child either (but had read Goodnight Moon as a child.) My middle dd absolutely loves this book! She carried it around for awhile. :)

I think it is so sweet! And something I like to talk about with this book is how we are like the little bunny and God is like the mother bunny...no matter where we go, He will always chase us and be with us, still loving us all the while!

Now that we are into FIAR I usually use Peter Rabbit along with this one...and other bunny books, so I just use some of those lessons as well.

AshleyC
04-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Oh Candace, I like the conection of God being the mother bunny. That just added a lot for me. It's still not my favorite... but thanks. That helped!

Ely in Chicago
04-06-2007, 08:26 AM
I also used this book alongside Peter Rabbit because Peter Rabbit was a rabbit who DID runaway! :D And we know the troubles he got in. But the Runaway Bunny stayed with his mommy.

We also used this book to learn new language. (lots of new words here for our little ones: trout, sailbpat, crocus, garden, mountain climber, circus, tightrope walker, etc.)

You could play a game...you child can be the bunny and you the mommy. Your son can run and you catch him. We did this at the park and my son started mentioning the things the bunny becomes. (simple but fun)

I also asked my son if he remembers another character from a book we read who ran away and got into trouble (Angus).

Even though this is a longer book, my 2 year old loved the illustrations.

AndreaD
04-09-2007, 09:26 AM
OOH!! I just remembered- with my older boys when we did this story- we really got into the mom being a fisherman, and of course took the boys fishing, talked about different baits, how the mom is using a carrot for a bait. Also- I made a fishing game for my boys,(using metal juice can lids and a magnet tied to a pencil) to fish for letters, numbers or colors depending on what they were ready for. I ought to pull out the fishing game and fish for colors with my youngest- he'd think it was fun.