PDA

View Full Version : Life of Fred?

ShayChristie
11-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Okay, I almost feel like I'm cheating on my math curriculum even asking! :lol: Seriously, I love MUS, most of my children are doing great in it! My oldest, not so much. He's doing it, but he hates math. He has a hard time with retention and we both get frustrated when he misses simple stuff he's already covered.

I have mostly ignored the LoF threads because I've always been happy with MUS, but for some reason, the other thread about "Key to" caught my attention because I thought that might help him. LoF was mentioned in the thread, so I clicked on the other LoF thread and now I'm considering using it for him. He's doing MUS Stewardship now because he was not ready for Algebra last year. He'll finish Stewardship around January, so my plan was to go to the Algebra, but he's already dreading it. Part of that may be his 12yo brother who will be finishing Algebra about the time he's starting it. sigh...

Help! Any thoughts? Is it complete or is LoF supplemental? Would we go through that and then do MUS, do them together or just use LoF and is it enough for a high school credit?

TIA!

Cheryl in SoCal
11-12-2009, 11:47 AM
I've not used LOF but was wondering how he was doing in Stewardship if he hasn't completed Algebra 1? I wasn't planning on doing Stewardship until after Algebra 1 because it's recommended. Has he been having trouble all this time or just since starting Stewardship? Sorry, I can't be of any real help:sad:

ShayChristie
11-12-2009, 01:06 PM
He's on Lesson 22 and so far, pre-algebra has been enough. I can see where more algebra will be necessary in the last few lessons. I'm hoping that by not calling it algebra, he'll get it easier with a direct application. He's always been better at practical math rather than numbers on a page. :)

And he's struggled with math for years. Didn't do well in ps(and it was only first grade), did okay with Miquon when I brought him home, but had no retention at the end. We started MUS and he's done better, but still struggles. It took 1.5 years to go through Gamma, same with Delta and Pre-Algebra was difficult as well. I tried going into Algebra, but he was getting 75-90% wrong in the first 3 lessons. That was AFTER taking the pre-test and reviewing all those concepts he had forgotten. sigh...

My original plan was to start Stewardship, get him some success and then if we needed to, take a break when it got difficult and go into Algebra and then back to finish Stewardship. So far, he hasn't had trouble with concepts, but simple stuff. Last lesson was concrete and he kept forgetting how to figure volume. Volume is learned in what, Gamma? And reviewed in Epsilon and Zeta. Probably reviewed in Pre-Algebra as well. :unsure:

And he has done fairly well in Stewardship. But he's already dreading the return to Algebra and "useless" math. :eyes:

Janee' in Texas
11-12-2009, 03:07 PM
:hi: Let me start out by saying I have not used MUS. However, I think LOF lends itself very well to supplementing another program because it has such short lessons. There are quite a few people on the Well Trained Mind site that use both if you have specific questions. I would just let him take a break from MUS and use LOF on it's own for a little bit and see how that goes. See if he likes it. I know it has been just the thing for math non mathy kids around here, and I have another child who is mathy itching to get to use it. :lol: To my family LOF ranks right up there with my Reading Made Easy, and my FIAR, it will not be sold- these books are treasures. I never thought I would say that about MATH books! With Fred, no math is useless. Try it- it's only $19- $29 a book. Well worth the investment if it works for you, and if it doesn't they have a high resale value.

Dawn Gilmore
11-12-2009, 11:56 PM
Shay,

I picked up a couple the LOF fractions and decimals for my kids this year... mostly just to see if a change was warranted. They weren't expensive, and I figured I could always resell them if they didn't work for us. (We're MUS lifers, too)

My oldest ds just "didn't get it" He didn't like the story concept behind it all... he just wanted his numbers on a page. DD is a reader, and loves it. So, oldest ds went back to MUS, and dd is working through LOF... :crazy: Lovely, now I'll have TWO math programs... hopefully one or the other will work for the two younger boys when they get to those levels!!

Heather W
11-13-2009, 06:58 AM
I use LOF as part of our living math program- I gave up on formal math programs and we are doing our own thing.

LOF does not appeal to my oldest who could do numbers on a page forever (like Dawn's child), but it does to my story oriented dd!! She can hardly wait to use it for math. The day it arrived they both read the whole book. GREAT story!!:lol:

I insist my son do the lessons because they challenge him in a different way. He's a math whiz, but the style of this book and its questions force him to use a different skill that he does need to work on.

I'm planning to use the whole program.

I know RJ uses it as her program and in fact has always done her own thing when it comes to math with her boys. She is a good one to ask.

Julie Y
11-13-2009, 07:26 AM
My son (13) like LOF a lot. Math comes pretty easily and intuitively to him, and he has enjoyed the silly humor in Fred. He finished Fractions and will finish Decimals this month then start on Pre-Algebra.

My 11 yo dd did not like LOF. She doesn't like math, doesn't "get" it, and doesn't really like to read for fun, either. So, she found the story aspect of Fred to be annoying. I had already tried several expensive programs with her, hoping to find one that would do all the work for me, but she finally said, "I just like it when you sit with me and explain things." So I bought a single-subject math workbook (Mastering Essential Math Kkills -- Fractions) and we sit together every day and do one page. It is working out better than any of the expensive programs we've tried. I just had to commit that time to her.

Anyway, LOF is inexpensive enough that you could buy one (maybe go ahead and start with Fractions since it begins the story of Fred) and see how he likes it.

Rachel Jane
11-13-2009, 08:22 AM
But he's already dreading the return to Algebra and "useless" math. :eyes:

The story makes LoF seem like real life math. My guys love it. J just took a practice SAT. He is only a sophomore, but we decided to give it a try. There were only two questions on the math that he didn't know how to do and he is about 1/2 way through LoF advanced algebra (algebra two). I'd say he is probably an average learner when it comes to math, not gifted, not challenged IYKWIM. He has always done well, but he will occasionally reread a chapter to solidify the info.

Both he and L LOVE the story aspect of LoF. :)

ShayChristie
11-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Well, I'm going to buy it and try it. It can't hurt and it's not expensive, so if it doesn't work, not a huge cash loss. And I also have 4(to be 5) others who may like it! :lol:

Sue in MN
11-18-2009, 02:24 AM
I switched Christy to LOF when she was having trouble with Teaching Textbooks PreALgebra last year. She worked through the Fractions book and the Decimal book and it finally cemented those for her. This year she is doing Jacob's Algebra and loves it. I gave her the choice between LOF Algebra and Jacobs. Next year she will do Jacob's Geometry and then I might go back to LOF because Jacob's doesn't go any higher.