PDA

View Full Version : "Teaching the Essay" (by the Analytical Grammar author)?

Julie Y
11-13-2009, 09:10 AM
Have any of you used the Teaching the Essay (http://www.analyticalgrammar.com/teaching-the-essay)program from the author of Analytical Grammar? If so, what do you think?

I've been watching the videos on their website and am thinking about buying AG for 13 yo son (which we'll have to fly through to get him ready for high school next year) and that looked impressive, as well.

Your thoughts?

Rebe
11-13-2009, 10:02 AM
Julie, this looks great. Thanks for posting.

Do you think these (both essay and research paper) could be used as part of a high school English class? I'm thinking essay in 9th and research paper in 10th?

I'm finding lots of high school English options that are great for literature, but are very weak in the writing instruction department -- they say, "Write an essay (or research paper)," but don't teach how to do it. This could be the answer to what I'm looking for. :unsure:

(Yes, I used to teach h.s. English, but I didn't like teaching writing at all. Writing comes naturally to me and I have a hard time teaching it to others when my own writing is so intuitive. Literature, I love to teach. Writing, :no: .)

Kendall in GA
11-15-2009, 05:58 AM
I don't own it, Julie; but, I've gone to a workshop on this product. It is definitely on my list of things to buy when I want to do the essay with Ansley. I definitely give it a :thumb: from what I saw of the program. I especially like the grading rubric. (Btw, I think that Leslie has this product...Check with her and see how she likes it.)

ShayChristie
11-15-2009, 09:14 AM
I have it but haven't used it yet. Does that help? :D :lol:

It's on my list of things to do this year, but oldest is already struggling with what he has, so we haven't worked it in and I haven't even looked at it much.

Sorry! Although you're reminding me about it may push me to pull it out over Christmas break and review it. :)

Julie Y
11-15-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks, Kendall!
Rebe, I certainly think those could be an important part of your high school English class. One of the things that the lady said in one of the videos on the website is that, in high school, the educational philosophy is generally, "Read, then write about it." These courses appear to be designed to teach the student how to "write about it."

I'm going to go ahead and order it. Shay, we can both start and then update each other some time in the Spring, okay? ;)

Rebe
11-15-2009, 05:49 PM
:clap: I'm very excited. Lack of good writing instruction in otherwise good lit programs has been a big issue as I've reviewed high school English curricula. This could be the solution!

Julie and Shay, when you have that discussion after you've looked it over and used it, please have it here. :) I would love to hear what you think of it.

And I'll watch her videos on the website, too. ;)

How much do each of the programs cost, do you remember?

Julie Y
11-15-2009, 06:21 PM
How much do each of the programs cost, do you remember?
A whopping $15 each. :lol: That includes a packet of lesson plans and an audio cd for the teacher, I believe.

At that price, I can hardly NOT try it out, but I wanted to make sure it was worth adding on the sizeable chunk ($95) I'll be putting out for the grammar.

Rebe
11-15-2009, 09:42 PM
$15? :surprise:

That's the best news I've heard in a long time! :thumb:

Leslie Nelsen
11-16-2009, 09:27 AM
We have this - what questions do you have? :D

I do think it is well done (I'm a fan of her Analytical Grammar too.) It's short - just 15 days to complete. She walks you through writing a 5 paragraph essay. You go through all the steps together on the first essay and then have two more for the student to work on themselves. She goes through each step from writing a topic sentence to what should be included in each paragraph.

It is a small package of info - but was plenty for us to work with to get a better handle on this type of writing. I hope this helps. I do think it is a good buy! :thumb:

Karrie AK
11-16-2009, 12:57 PM
We have AG gammer here, We like it... My son has struggled with it, but getting we are getting it done slowly and making progress.

As for the essay, I am planning on trying that as well too. I think it will go good.

Shelly in MN
11-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Does one need to have used the AG course to use the Teaching the Essay and Teaching the Research Paper?

Leslie Nelsen
11-16-2009, 02:10 PM
No. They are stand alone. They are very short programs (15 days) and don't cover the in-depth parts of grammar at all. It's really all about writing an essay. :)

Shelly in MN
11-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Thank you, Leslie! :)

Julie Y
11-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the additional info, Leslie; I didn't realize it was so short. That's a plus for me! :thumb:

Negin
11-26-2009, 03:37 PM
So, if I understand everyone correctly, I don't need to purchase the Analytical Grammar in order to do the Essay program later. Is that correct? Sorry, I'm just a bit confused and don't really want to spend $95 if I don't have to.

Julie Y
11-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Negin, It's my understanding that the essay program is a standalone program so you would not need the grammar components.

Negin
11-27-2009, 05:29 AM
Negin, It's my understanding that the essay program is a standalone program so you would not need the grammar components.
Thank you, Julie. That's very helpful to know. :)

Kendall in GA
11-30-2009, 09:47 AM
A whopping $15 each. :lol: That includes a packet of lesson plans and an audio cd for the teacher, I believe.

IMO, the rubric is worth $15 alone...It is definitely a steal! :yes:

Kendall in GA
11-30-2009, 09:47 AM

Correct! :yes: