PDA

View Full Version : RightStart Math Games

Heather W
11-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Are these worth the $50? I'm considering adding them to our collection.

Do they cover multiplication?

Can I easily duplicate these games or are they that amazing?

Jeni
11-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Are these worth the $50? I'm considering adding them to our collection.

We have them and find them to be an invaluable tool with MOTL. ;)

Do they cover multiplication?

Yes there are tons of games that cover multiplication and pre-multiplication concepts.

Can I easily duplicate these games or are they that amazing?

Honestly, yes you could. But I do not regret getting them. They are very nice and designed to withstand classroom use and abuse. I would buy them again if I had to but I'm quite thankful that our former charter school purchased them for us. ;)

ETA: I can give some more specific details later if you want. ;)
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Alice
11-13-2009, 11:14 AM
We have them and I've only really scratched the surface with them. You could duplicate most of them yourselves but it's really nice having it all together. Plus, I wouldn't think of a lot of the games on my own. They have packs for mulitplication, division, fractions, decimels, time and money. I haven't opened most of the card packs in ours yet. Plus there are these cool corner game cards that are fun on their own. It's all stuff you could make yourself but realistically I wouldn't do it or think of it on my own. I felt like it was a good purchase, especially with the amount of stuff it covers and that I can use it for years with all my kids.

Shannon F.
11-13-2009, 11:17 AM
I think I paid almost $9 for a nice sturdy set of multiplication flashcards. I wouldn't think $50 is too bad for a whole set of games. Plus, I just don't have time to make up things these days!

Heather W
11-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Yeah that corner game looks like it rocks!

So, I see the card packs available on RR for $25, but not the full game pack. Where is the best place to order with a reasonable shipping fee?

WendyW
11-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Worth every penny!

I got mine much cheaper. I got the book at a used book sale for a couple dollars, and made most of the cards (and I have them on Word files to print and cut). I only purchased the Corners deck, and the Money deck.

The purchased decks are laminated, homemade ones are just cardstock. Personally, I think the laminated ones are too slippery. On the other hand, homemade ones are more difficult to shuffle.

Whatever route you go, I HIGHLY recommend two decks of the basic green cards. For many of the games, there are specific requirements for x# of certain cards, or with/without 10's or 0's. I keep one SHUFFLED deck of 1-9, and one ORDERED deck of 0-10 (with the 0's and 10's from both decks). Then when I need specific counts of cards, I remove them from the ordered deck, and put them back in order when we are done. It MUCH easier then trying to sort them out of the mixed deck.

Jennifer in SC
11-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Another vote for yes. The games have helped my daughter immensely with her understanding of math concepts. She learned multiplacation facts without even realizing it.

Lindy S.
11-13-2009, 08:24 PM
When kids ask specifically to play games that are teaching math facts, I consider that a very good sign! We LOVE corners around here and just about every other game that we've played. We just started Corners subtraction and it really does rock. I bought it as part of my curriculum so I didn't even realize the price but the games are really great!

Heather W
11-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Question: If you get the Math card game book, do you get instructions on making your decks of cards?

Jeni
11-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Question: If you get the Math card game book, do you get instructions on making your decks of cards?

No, there are no directions but it does have some reproducibles for some of the games. From the game directions you could probably create what you needed but IMHO the card set is well worth the money. ;)

Julie in AZ
11-13-2009, 10:50 PM
No, there are no directions but it does have some reproducibles for some of the games. From the game directions you could probably create what you needed but IMHO the card set is well worth the money. ;)

:yes: I agree the set is worth the money and this reminds me I need to pull it out!

Heather W
11-13-2009, 10:54 PM
:yes: I agree the set is worth the money and this reminds me I need to pull it out!

Ok...if you frugal ladies say so I guess it really is worth the money!!:lol:

Shelly L
11-14-2009, 09:52 AM
Considering I paid $80.00 for the set last spring, I'd say 50 is great! I also got the abacus with mine and the magnetic fraction stuff, so maybe that's why mine was higher. Anyway, I am really only beginning to use it and I can tell that we will have lots of fun and learning! In fact, I've got two games planned for next week, so we are starting to roll on it! I'm glad to see it praised so much on here, too!

Shelly L.

WendyW
11-14-2009, 11:19 AM

No explicit directions, but the edition I have gives pretty good descriptions of exactly what cards are in each deck, and combined with the pictures on their website, it was not a difficult task. The Corners deck WOULD be very difficult to reproduce, and the Money deck I did not feel like trying to find the appropriate graphics for, so I ordered those two individually. The individual decks, not in the "boxed set" ARE on the website, for only $5 each, but rather hard to find. Here's a link to the page (http://www.activitiesforlearning.com/index.asp?PageAction=PRODSEARCH&txtSearch=corners+deck&btnSearch=GO&Page=1).

Heather W
11-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Considering I paid $80.00 for the set last spring, I'd say 50 is great! I also got the abacus with mine and the magnetic fraction stuff, so maybe that's why mine was higher. Anyway, I am really only beginning to use it and I can tell that we will have lots of fun and learning! In fact, I've got two games planned for next week, so we are starting to roll on it! I'm glad to see it praised so much on here, too!

Shelly L.

$50 is the going price with the things you mentioned though not with a full size abacus which frankly I wouldn't know what to do with it!

I'm in it for the games.

Vicki in MS
11-15-2009, 07:09 AM
Heather, I sent you a PM.

Julie in FL
11-16-2009, 05:51 PM
I've been following this thread... :) And wanted to ask a couple of questions.
What age can you start using the math games with? I also noticed on the RS website that it says the games can be used with any curriculum. Has anyone used the games with Saxon?

Heather W
11-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Julie they're just games...to practice math facts so you can use them with any thing you are doing.

I'm not an expert, but I would say your child needs to be at the point of practicing facts or it would get frustrating.

Adding and all that...

Julie in FL
11-16-2009, 06:10 PM
Thanks Heather....we are starting the math facts this spring and I was wondering if it was something I could have around to do as *fun*. ;)

Gail in NY
11-16-2009, 07:02 PM
are the games complicated or very involved.....I'm a simple kind of mom :)

Heather W
11-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Seem pretty simple for the most part. But there are gobs of them and I know like 3 games so far.:lol:

shonda in ca
11-16-2009, 07:30 PM
The book (that you get with the games) says that you can start at 3 years old. Those would be the numeration games.
There are gobs of them. I just need someone to sit down with me and show me how to play them all as I am terrible at figuring out game directions. :eyes: I sat down amd tried to figure out the corners game yesterday and got frustrated.
Heather, come to my house and you can look at my set, figure out how to play the games and teach me to play them! :lol: I'm just minutes from Legoland, ya know! It would be a great field trip! :lol:

Nancy Ann
11-16-2009, 07:31 PM
I've been following this thread... :) And wanted to ask a couple of questions.
What age can you start using the math games with? I also noticed on the RS website that it says the games can be used with any curriculum. Has anyone used the games with Saxon?

Hi Julie,

You could also consider Family Math. It's a book of math games there is a version for younger children as well. I purchased mine off ebay for cheaper than amazon. I would think Rainbow Resource carries this as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Afamily+math&keywords=family+math&ie=UTF8&qid=1258417794

Tricia O
11-16-2009, 10:17 PM
We bought these a year or so ago (the boxed set) and have not really played with them at all. I got them out once and started doing some stuff with them, and never finished. After reading this thread, I am determined to get them out and try again. We usually take the month of December off from school, but we may just play Rightstart math games instead. ;)

Heather W
11-16-2009, 10:35 PM
We bought these a year or so ago (the boxed set) and have not really played with them at all. I got them out once and started doing some stuff with them, and never finished. After reading this thread, I am determined to get them out and try again. We usually take the month of December off from school, but we may just play Rightstart math games instead. ;)

Really? 'Cause I was gonna say I could take them off your hands! :lol:

Heather W
11-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Hi Julie,

You could also consider Family Math. It's a book of math games there is a version for younger children as well. I purchased mine off ebay for cheaper than amazon. I would think Rainbow Resource carries this as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Afamily+math&keywords=family+math&ie=UTF8&qid=1258417794

:yes: I have just about the whole Family Math collection purchased used. all except for Family Math II.

GREAT books.

Heather W
11-16-2009, 10:37 PM
The book (that you get with the games) says that you can start at 3 years old. Those would be the numeration games.
There are gobs of them. I just need someone to sit down with me and show me how to play them all as I am terrible at figuring out game directions. :eyes: I sat down amd tried to figure out the corners game yesterday and got frustrated.
Heather, come to my house and you can look at my set, figure out how to play the games and teach me to play them! :lol: I'm just minutes from Legoland, ya know! It would be a great field trip! :lol:

Would LOVE that. However, I think springing for the card games and books would be a bit cheaper than a family trip to CA!:lol:

You know there are YouTube videos on how to play the games? That's how I learned to play corners. Too bad I have no cards!!:roflol:

shonda in ca
11-16-2009, 10:49 PM
You know there are YouTube videos on how to play the games? That's how I learned to play corners. Too bad I have no cards!!:roflol:

I did not know that! Very cool info! Thanks so much. I never think of looking at Youtube! :clap:

Aw, you're right about the games being cheaper, but c'mon! It would be way fun! :lol:

Edit to add: Oh! And DUH! There is a dvd that comes with the set on how to play the games! :lol: I just haven't looked at it yet!

Oy! :eyes:

Heather W
11-16-2009, 10:53 PM
I did not know that! Very cool info! Thanks so much. I never think of looking at Youtube! :clap:

Aw, you're right about the games being cheaper, but c'mon! It would be way fun! :lol:

Edit to add: Oh! And DUH! There is a dvd that comes with the set on how to play the games! :lol: I just haven't looked at it yet!

:roflol::roflol::roflol:I was gonna say that too, but decided it might be too much.;)

And it would be fun! How about I wait until you are all healed up from surgery.;) It'll be way more fun by then.

Tricia O
11-16-2009, 11:08 PM

My set didn't come with a DVD. Guess it really is old! :lol:

Julie Y
11-17-2009, 11:47 AM
You know there are YouTube videos on how to play the games? That's how I learned to play corners.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I have had the box of math cards (an earlier edition with no dvd, I guess) sitting on my shelf for a couple of years now, because I've never taken the time to figure out how to play them. What a waste of money :eyes:. (Honestly, if the sheer act of buying a curriculum product and setting it on my shelf would educate my kids, then mine would all be walking geniuses. :blush: )

I just watched a couple of the videos and can't wait to play them with one dd who is still weak on her multiplication facts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmb3jp59rHQ&feature=related

Heather W
11-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Rats! I SO wish one of you who didn't use these cards would send them my way!:lol:

But good for you guys and let me know how the games are!

Tricia O
11-17-2009, 10:29 PM
I played corners with Katie tonight and she loved it. Even better was the fact that she won. :D

Jeni
11-18-2009, 10:14 AM
:lol: The Corners games were really hard for me to comprehend until you guys posted the Youtube videos. We also played it yesterday and all the kids liked it. :thumb: I also have the older set that did not come with the DVD. Thank you so much for posting the You Tube link...I think we will be getting even more use out of them now. :thumb:

WendyW
11-18-2009, 11:25 AM
are the games complicated or very involved.....I'm a simple kind of mom :)

The majority are variations of games you probably already know: memory, go fish, rummy, speed, etc. There are many versions of each game, each covering a different set of facts. There are a few that I had to read and re-read several times to figure out, but for the most part they are really simple.

Tricia O
11-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Here's the link to the videos on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=alabacusmathfun&search_type=&aq=f

Here is a list of the videos on youtube. We've only watched the first four so far, but they look interesting & fun. :thumb:

Who's On Top Card Game
Multiplication Memory
Corners
Go to the Dump
Skip Counting Memory
Short Chain Solitaire
One
Fraction War
Make 16 Cents
Fifteen Minutes Later
Top and Bottom Corners

TinaM
11-18-2009, 12:59 PM
I use the program but the math cards really are wonderful! I look through the book weekly, deciding with games we'll play this week.

shonda in ca
11-18-2009, 05:05 PM
Here's the link to the videos on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=alabacusmathfun&search_type=&aq=f

Here is a list of the videos on youtube. We've only watched the first four so far, but they look interesting & fun. :thumb:

Who's On Top Card Game
Multiplication Memory
Corners
Go to the Dump
Skip Counting Memory
Short Chain Solitaire
One
Fraction War
Make 16 Cents
Fifteen Minutes Later
Top and Bottom Corners

What do you know! That's the whole dvd! Now you ladies aren't missing out on anything! :)

Heather W
11-18-2009, 05:58 PM
What do you know! That's the whole dvd! Now you ladies aren't missing out on anything! :)

Really? Cool.

Let's talk about these games I don't have some more. This has to be some kind of record for a discussion on a math game.:lol:

I'm making the Corners game tonight unless something derails me.

Rachel
11-18-2009, 07:01 PM
We have really enjoyed RightStart curriculum. I am just very impressed with it and think it's really great. At first I was unsure about it, but the more I spend with it, the more I like it.

When we first started playing Corners, my son thought it was so cool! :cool: Then he started asking to play it everyday. :thumb: :D I loved that!

Shelly L
11-18-2009, 10:15 PM
We played the skip counting memory game yesterday and my daughter really enjoyed it, as did I! So why is it that many of us bought this and it stayed on the shelf for awhile? Is it because it is kind of overwhelming to read the book and process how to play the different games? The instructions are simple, but thinking about the product 'as a whole' can be a little ominous-feeling. I decided to take it in 'chunks' and just think of whatever skills we need to work on and search for those games. I know this is obvious, but I just find it interesting that this box of great games and simple materials tends to be overlooked by some, including me. Thanks for this thread! It has prompted me to get going on it!

Shelly L.

carriejoy
11-19-2009, 01:42 AM
heather, you can email me corners game files when you get them done! ;)

Jeni
11-19-2009, 07:11 AM
I agree Shelly, many of the cards look foreign and it's not obvious how to play with other than maybe the Basic deck. The Math Games book is visually overwhelming....not enough white space. :lol: But many of the games, if you take the time to learn to play them, are just short of genius sometimes. The kind of simple, fun little games that make you say "why didn't I think of that?" ;)

Heather W
11-19-2009, 07:15 AM
heather, you can email me corners game files when you get them done! ;)

Oh my dear...I'm making them by hand, but I'll take pictures!

Shannon F.
11-19-2009, 09:57 AM
I just placed my order for these...thanks for this thread!:clap:

Heather W
11-19-2009, 11:41 AM
I just placed my order for these...thanks for this thread!:clap:

KILLING me!!!:roflol:

I would love to order them....but alas I must resist until after Christmas.

Would it be lame for them to be on MY list?:lol:

Enjoy!!

ShayChristie
11-19-2009, 12:27 PM
(Honestly, if the sheer act of buying a curriculum product and setting it on my shelf would educate my kids, then mine would all be walking geniuses. :blush: )

Oh, were truer words ever spoken?!?! :lol:

Jeni
11-19-2009, 01:30 PM

I don't think so but I don't think I'm the best judge of what is lame. :lol:
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Heather W
11-19-2009, 01:36 PM
I don't think so but I don't think I'm the best judge of what is lame. :lol:
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

:lol:

You all will be happy to know I just finished making the Corners set. :)

I'm going re-watch the video and play with my kids.

It only took about a half hour total from start to finish to make them. I'll be sure to let you know how the game plays or if I made the game all wrong!

Vicki in MS
11-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Aw, y'all will have so much fun! Make sure to keep an eye out for a 30 pt. play. You have to really keep your mind in the game, buy my little guy has made one before. It all just depends upon the play of the cards, but keep watching for the way the sides can line up. That's what makes it so much fun!

Heather W
11-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks Vicki! You are my card making hero.

By day's end, I will have played this and perhaps made the rest.

It took no time at all.

I'll just need to get the book when I can.:clap:

Jeni
11-19-2009, 01:47 PM
The first time we played Corners, we played it just like the video but it became a bit frustrating that way for my kids so we changed the rules to you can play off of any card of the table and not just that last one that was played. They had a lot more fun playing that way and trying to block other players moves (since you can see everyone's cards). Plus when we played the original way, we ran into the problem of no playable cards pretty often for some reason. :unsure: Playing anywhere on the board encouraged them to find a place they could play their cards and we never ran into the problem of any one having no playable cards. ;)

Heather W
11-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Good to know Jeni. I was wondering about that. And of course we have the added interesting thing that I made these up so it's not the professionally made ones.:lol:

Who know...we may box ourselves really super often.;)

Vicki in MS
11-19-2009, 01:54 PM
We play the same way, Jeni. I never really thought about playing the way shown in the video. I think it's much more fun to play whichever place you'd like, as that is what opens the board up for big point plays. I want my little guy to look for those, and he really does, so it's helping him with math already!

I ordered the game book, but I made all of my own cards. I store them in those zip up cloth pencil bags with the clear front from Walmart or wherever. Makes a great storage bag for the individual games, and it's cheap too!

shonda in ca
11-19-2009, 01:57 PM
The first time we played Corners, we played it just like the video but it became a bit frustrating that way for my kids so we changed the rules to you can play off of any card of the table and not just that last one that was played. They had a lot more fun playing that way and trying to block other players moves (since you can see everyone's cards). Plus when we played the original way, we ran into the problem of no playable cards pretty often for some reason. :unsure: Playing anywhere on the board encouraged them to find a place they could play their cards and we never ran into the problem of any one having no playable cards. ;)

Oh yeah, us too! It was pretty frustrating for my ds. I think we'll play any card for now on.

My 10 yo ds that is struggling w/ times tables is loving the memory game! Who would have thought! :clap:

Heather W
11-19-2009, 02:51 PM
We just played- fun game!

As soon as I find a map I want on our table I will switch it and make some more cards.

Shannon F.
11-19-2009, 03:04 PM
KILLING me!!!:roflol:

I would love to order them....but alas I must resist until after Christmas.

Enjoy!!

Awe, sorry Heather! I knew if I didn't order them now then Dh would say, "Is that what YOU want for Christmas?" and I'd have to say yes! It may be my present to the kids!

WendyW
11-19-2009, 03:08 PM
The first time we played Corners, we played it just like the video but it became a bit frustrating that way for my kids so we changed the rules to you can play off of any card of the table and not just that last one that was played.

This is addressed in the instructions. The rule is because when the game layout gets large, it can take FOREVER for a child to check ALL the possible locations against each of his cards. The restriction of playing only on the last card or in a corner keeps the game moving along quickly.

Like any game, you can change the rules to work for your family.

The rules themselves change according to the math lesson. For example, my ds2 is learning how to use "check numbers" (also known as casting out nines). The practice for the lesson was playing Corners with the requirement that all cards must make totals that are multiples of 3, the scoring was subtracted from a starting point of 150, and with each subtraction the math had to be double-checked using check numbers.