PDA

View Full Version : World History question...

Esther-Alabama
11-13-2009, 01:01 PM
My history buff wants more history. He loves to listen to The Story Hour programs that we have, but he wants a more chronological review of history from the discovering of America through to the Vietnam War, with a lot of detail paid to World War 2. He is a living breathing encyclopedia of facts about WW2, but is still fascinated with it.

I read some less than favorable reviews of Story of the World Vol 4. yet that is what I am still leaning toward. He loves to listen to books on tape and Story of the World on CD sounds like a perfect fit.

Any reviews from my most trusted advisors???

Julie Y
11-13-2009, 01:15 PM
My son has listened to all of the SOTW cds over and over again. :thumb:

Hollie in SC
11-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Esther, we have the CDs as well. I remember there is at least one story (Abraham maybe) that dh was not in agreement regarding some of the details...but I have no recollection what at this time. Also, all religions are introduced (Islam, Christian, etc) in a narrative way without opinion. We have listened to them several times and enjoy them. When we ran into the above situations, it provided a great time to talk. We really like them. :yes:

We also use Mystery of History as a read-aloud only. We really, really like it. We're in Volume 3 now. We read 3 days per week--usually 10-15 minutes. However, my boys now disappear with them often and read them on their own. I have not heard her audio CDs, though.

Cheryl in SoCal
11-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Esther, we have the CDs as well. I remember there is at least one story (Abraham maybe) that dh was not in agreement regarding some of the details...but I have no recollection what at this time. Also, all religions are introduced (Islam, Christian, etc) in a narrative way without opinion. We have listened to them several times and enjoy them. When we ran into the above situations, it provided a great time to talk. We really like them. :yes:

We also use Mystery of History as a read-aloud only. We really, really like it. We're in Volume 3 now. We read 3 days per week--usually 10-15 minutes. However, my boys now disappear with them often and read them on their own. I have not heard her audio CDs, though.

I have her CD's and they are very good (my older boys like them better than Dianna Waring's, they say she's too "enthusiastic":lol:) but she only has CD's for volumes 1 & 2 (through the Middle Ages) and the 4th book (which will span that time period) isn't written yet so MOH won't be of any help right now.

Esther-Alabama
11-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Thanks, y'all. I will go ahead and get the SOTW Vol 4 for him. He likes all history, but specifically wants that time period right now.

I had wondered about MOH, too, Cheryl, so thanks for saving me the searching time!

Did you all get the activity books to do as well?

Julie in AZ
11-13-2009, 10:53 PM
If you haven't ordered yet ;) , my ds loves Dianna Waring history CDs. He can't get enough of them. They contain a great deal of depth as you can order Digging Deeper CDs. I ended up buying just about everything she has made because he listens so much.

Cheryl in SoCal
11-14-2009, 12:19 PM
If you haven't ordered yet ;) , my ds loves Dianna Waring history CDs. He can't get enough of them. They contain a great deal of depth as you can order Digging Deeper CDs. I ended up buying just about everything she has made because he listens so much.

Can you still buy the older ones through her? I know that the new version (in collaboration with Answers In Genesis) of volume 3 isn't available yet.

Kendra AU
11-14-2009, 03:25 PM
What about letting him read or listen to living books on historical things/events and then letting him write a "newspaper" type article about each one as though he were there reporting on it? Would he find that just as fun?

Julie in AZ
11-14-2009, 10:30 PM
Can you still buy the older ones through her? I know that the new version (in collaboration with Answers In Genesis) of volume 3 isn't available yet.

I think I just ordered Vol. 3 from her. We were filling in gaps in ds' collection.