PDA

View Full Version : Handwriting - 7 yo boy

Carol S
11-16-2009, 10:35 AM
How much? I'm not requiring a whole lot, but I would like a general idea of what kind of length of copywork you're having your boys this age do. For reference, he has an April birthday. If he went away to school, I suppose he would be in second grade. (I might have redshirted him in K, but I don't know if I would have or not.)

Steph
11-16-2009, 01:52 PM
I have a 7yo who will be 8 in January. Today, he copied five sentences from "Stories of the Pilgrims."

When my oldest was 7, he would have copied the whole page. When my next oldest was 7, I had to sit down with him while he copied two or three sentences.

So, judging from my boys, anywhere from 2 sentences to 8 sentences.

TonyaP
11-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Mine usually does one sentence or a page from HWOT. He is not an eager writer and it takes him so long that I don't push it. He knows how to form the letters, and we just do a lot of stuff verbally to avoid the very lengthy delays that handwriting causes. :eek:

Nancy Ann
11-16-2009, 03:05 PM
I would start with two sentences and see how he does and increase it. My son can do about 3 sentences but he is grumpy about it!! So I don't push too much.

Rebe
11-16-2009, 03:27 PM
My new 8yo is able to copy maybe two sentences without tearing his hair out. I think it depends so much on fine motor control. He still doesn't have a whole lot of it, and it's a big effort for him to copy even a few short lines.

My oldest was copying entire Thomas books at age 4. I wouldn't go by that, though. ;) His fine motor control has always been very good and he (still) loves to copy things. It's his "thing."

KristenS
11-16-2009, 03:45 PM
We're doing A Reason for Handwriting, which has copywork built in (Bible verses). Each day they copy a few words from the verse as practice, and the last day (or two days if you do a five-day week), they copy the whole verse. So far this has worked okay for my son. He's in 2nd (the verses are definitely longer than last year's, but not too overwhelmning), and is about to turn 8.

I think the practice all week warming up to the verse, and the chance to get to discuss it, is what helps. If I had him copy that much every day, he wouldn't do it.

Alicia
11-16-2009, 03:55 PM
When my ds was 7, he would have copied a short 4-line poem for copywork each day. He might have copied a longer poem, if there were only a few words on each line. All of this came after I knew he could write all his letters properly and neatly.

AndreaD
11-16-2009, 04:15 PM
My ds usually does 1-2 sentences out of his FIAR story.

Carol S
11-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Well, for today anyway, the 10 yo to the rescue again! She apparently wants to put on an in-house play of A Visit from St. Nicholas, so he's sitting there copying it out on a jr. sized legal pad. No way am I interrupting that. We actually are still working on some of the basics of handwriting (he still tends to start letters from the bottom, and he mixes upper and lower case way too much), but what he's doing now will be plenty for the day.

I think for right now, working on phrases that build up to a couple of sentences is probably a good approach for him. He's pretty balky about it right now. I think that may help give him some more confidence and not be enough to make him feel weighed down. I think I'll shoot for 3-4 sentences by the end of the school year.