PDA

View Full Version : All About Spelling Question

Lori D
11-20-2009, 11:33 PM
I saw this (http://www.all-about-spelling.com/) program recommended within a thread a little while ago. I am trying to figure out if it would be a good fit for my ds. The main problem I am dealing with is that my 11yo has some pretty serious reading delays- he has improved a lot this year, but the connection between reading the word and spelling the word is just not there. (He could read a word but seconds later when I ask him to spell it, he is blank.)

If you have used this program, do you think it would be a good fit for this situation? I am so happy to have ds reading, but I would also like to help him make progress with his spelling.

http://www.all-about-spelling.com/

Jeni
11-21-2009, 01:03 AM
I have it. We've used it. It's not a bad program at all, it's actually very good but I was tweaking it so much I felt like I was better off with another program. :unsure:

Can your 11yo spell 3 letter words (hat, cat, sat)? How about words with beginning and end blends like stop and post? Or silent e words? If he can spell most of those without much of a problem, you are going to be able to fly through the first two AAS books with him. The problem with skipping those books completely is that the subsequent books assume you've already done the previous ones and have the materials like phonogram, rule and word cards from the previous books. If you can afford to buy say, at least the first four levels right off the bat or with in a month or two of each other, you'd be fine.

We used it for a while and I like it but I don't love it. I like the idea behind but in actual practice, it just didn't work out so well for us. We are currently working our way back to Spell To Write and Read. If I had tons of money to spend on school things, I would probably try to go with Phonics Road to Reading and Writing. It looks like an awesome program but I just don't have that kind of money to spend on it unfortunately. :( All these programs, All About Spelling, Spell to Write and Read and Phonics Road use the Spalding approach and in my opinion you can't go wrong with a Spalding based program that works for you. ;)

Negin
11-21-2009, 04:33 AM
Lori, we're almost done with the first book. We love it. The first book has been very easy for him, but it's important to go through these initial steps, I think.
They have their own forums www.chatterbee.com or something like that and it's very helpful.
I myself have not had to tweak it at all. I follow it to a t.
Your ds sounds a lot like ours. Ours will be 10 this coming week and had serious reading delays also. He's also improved a lot this year.
I think it would be a very good fit for your ds. The multi-sensory approach - the tiles, the writing/dictation aspect, and so forth are very effective, I think.

Heather W
11-21-2009, 07:12 AM
I've been using it to review it for The Old Schoolhouse. It's a nice program and it will address those persnickety issues.

You will likely fly through the first couple books, but maybe not if he is super delayed.

It uses a lot of modes of learning so it doesn't leave anyone out- auditory, visual, and kinesthetic. My kids have enjoyed it a lot.

I like it so much that I'll probably buy the remainder of the levels so I can keep using it.

Lori D
11-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Thank you for the input!! I think I am going to try it. I have looked at several products, but this seems like it might be the best fit for ds.

Heather- Thanks to your inspiration, I was up until one in the morning making number cards! :eek: Can't wait to try them out with the boys. I've been looking at those math games for while too- I think I'm sold.

Negin
11-22-2009, 12:47 AM
Thank you for the input!! I think I am going to try it. I have looked at several products, but this seems like it might be the best fit for ds.

Lori, I think you'll be happy with your decision. :) Again, I think it will be an excellent fit for your ds. So far, it's wonderful for ours.
When you receive it, the cutting of cards and getting initially used to the program takes a little bit of time. After the first week, I felt fully comfortable with it.

mariah m
11-23-2009, 07:38 PM
I have been using it with my 13 year old son and can't say enough good things about it. He is actually remembering spelling rules and it is helping his reading in that he is learning the phonograms and rules (he is dyslexic).

Vicki in MS
11-24-2009, 07:40 AM
This looks like a great program, but very expensive for just teaching one.

How much different is it from the Spalding's program The Writing Road to Reading? I already have phonogram cards and an audio of the phonograms. I have been making spelling words from these, but we really could use some of the syllabication work in this program.

Negin
11-25-2009, 02:29 AM
This looks like a great program, but very expensive for just teaching one.
How much different is it from the Spalding's program The Writing Road to Reading? I already have phonogram cards and an audio of the phonograms. I have been making spelling words from these, but we really could use some of the syllabication work in this program.

Vicki, I have not used The Writing Road to Reading, so I can't really comment or compare. Others here will hopefully chime in. This (http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/default.aspx) is a helpful site.
All About Spelling is a fabulous program and well worth the $, IMHO. Mind you, you may not want to spend all that if your child has few problems with spelling and is not challenged in that area.
If you don't mind the cost, it's a good program for any child, again, my humble thoughts.
If your child has problems w/spelling, it's excellent, regardless of the cost. Well worth it.
Hope that makes sense. Not fully awake yet. :)