PDA

View Full Version : SOTW audio

Vicki in MS
11-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Does anyone use this just for listening in the car or however? I'm wondering if the sets are worth investing in just as the audio. I have the first two books in the series, but we've never read through them. I'm trying hard to get away from the chronological base of doing school each day, and we're getting back to just doing FIAR, with our added in math, grammar, and extras. It seems to have perked up interest in school this year.

I don't want to over-do things, but I'm wondering if these would be nice for just listening to a chapter every so often.

Hollie in SC
11-21-2009, 08:40 AM
They have been for us. We're in the van a lot and the boys have loved them. I think we got them at Amazon.

Jeni
11-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Yup, we did this when my kids were in early elementary. Sometimes I'd pause it and we would talk about it a little and sometimes I'd just let it run. :thumb:

Laurie Dawn
11-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Worth every penny!

Alice R
11-21-2009, 11:52 AM
They are good.

It's a nice way to get some history in without MOM having to do it. :lol:

Even if they only absorb 50% of the CDs, I'm happy.

Shannon F.
11-21-2009, 02:43 PM
My son asks to listen to the CDs, he likes them that much. I have vol. 1 and 2 right now and will be getting 3 & 4 in the future.

Heather W
11-21-2009, 03:29 PM
You know...I find them totally dull. I borrowed a set and no one is impressed.

I can read WAY better than those CDs.

However, my children cannot get enough of the Jim Weisse story CDs and the FoF Narnia set. Those are fun. Just a lady or man (even if it is Jim Weisse) reading that particular text is not all that. Especially for the price.

I guess we are the minority though.

Vicki in MS
11-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm still debating on buying these. I have no way to do a test run as my library doesn't carry them, so I really don't know how we'd like them. It's such an expensive investment for the whole set.

I am investing in the Jim Dale audio books, though. I have a heard a sample online, and they sound nice.

I also have the Focus on the Family Narnia set. Library and Ed Services had a great deal on them right before Christmas last year, and I snapped them up!

carriejoy
11-21-2009, 10:15 PM
I have them. Not impressed. Stories are "ok" but oh.my.lands. we do not like Jim Weiss's reading style! You might try seeing if your library has any of his other cds and decide if you can stand him. We can put up w/ sotw, but I got some folk tales of his and my son (who is an audio book FREAK) was like "Oh MOOOOOOMMM!! I thought we didn't LIIIIIIIIKE this guy!" I didn't tell him it was the same reader. He totally knew on his onw.

But yes, we only listen to them in the car and only infrequently. We usually have an audio book from the library going anyway. SOTW only comes out in emergencies.

eta: if you're an audio book family, the Little Britches series by Ralph Moody is FABULOUS. All 5 of us enjoy it.

Never heard of Jim Dale - going to have to look that up.

Heather W
11-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Jim Weisse does not read the first volume because that is the one we borrowed.

We like his storytelling. I haven't heard him read anything.

Rosanna
11-21-2009, 11:07 PM
The first edition is read by Susan herself, we have this version, and my son LOVES it (we've heard the Jim Wiess as well, and my kids LOVE his cd's we have 8 or 9 of them). He listens to Volumes 1 and 2 on his own in his room all the time. He is begging for Volume 3 but he just turned 7, so I am not sure if he's quite ready yet, but my mom is thinking of getting it for him for Christmas (I am ready the book to be sure).

I would get them again in a heart beat! I purchased them used, but would get them new for sure, now that I know how much he loves them.

Jess in FL
11-24-2009, 08:21 AM
My dc are 10, 8, and 7 and they all love them. They ask to listen to them in the car. I use them to reinforce what we've read or sometimes in place of ....depends on how busy we've been. They are great for trips and on the way to and from sports practice.

Jeni
11-24-2009, 09:21 AM
The first edition is read by Susan herself, we have this version, and my son LOVES it (we've heard the Jim Wiess as well, and my kids LOVE his cd's we have 8 or 9 of them). He listens to Volumes 1 and 2 on his own in his room all the time. He is begging for Volume 3 but he just turned 7, so I am not sure if he's quite ready yet, but my mom is thinking of getting it for him for Christmas (I am ready the book to be sure).

I would get them again in a heart beat! I purchased them used, but would get them new for sure, now that I know how much he loves them.

Are you sure Susan is reading them? Do you have some kind of special edition or something? I have the first edition as well and they are read by Barbara Allan Johnson. Just wondering because I would love to try and get my hands on ones read by Susan herself.