View Full Version : Reading Made Easy question...

Sue S
11-21-2009, 07:41 AM
My ds will be finished with Reading Made Easy sometime in January. For those who have completed this reading program what do you have your dc do next? Practice reading (set aside a time everyday for reading) or do you do other skills to reinforce what your dc have learned?

This is my plan for ds...to have him read at least 20 minutes a day and add a few games here and there...

Am I missing anything, or would the above be enough?

11-24-2009, 08:25 AM
Sue, after learning to read, I've have mostly readers. The one who was not a natural reader, I gave a set time each day for reading. The others naturally gravitated to books and would read some during the day, but always went to bed with books and read until lights out, so I didn't feel it necessary to give them a a set reading time.

I do encourage reading to a younger sibling. This allows me to HEAR them reading and make sure they're doing well and helps keep younger siblings busy while I work with another sibling or even get a chore done. ;)

11-24-2009, 11:01 AM
When they are reading, which sometimes occurred before we finished RME, I use Pathway Readers. We use just the readers not the workbooks. I have them read out loud to me through the 3rd grade reader. Again, that happened at various times, all of them though were before 3rd grade when they finished the readers.

When they've accomplished that, I no longer require reading out loud on a daily basis. It is a good skill, however, so I still have all of them read out loud at various times. When we have devotions, the readers read our verses. My two oldest I'm reading Shakespeare with and we all take a part. (that's painful since they just read and don't "act". :roflol:). Wherever it just naturally fits in, I have them read out loud. :)

Sue S
11-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Shay - Thanks for the tip of reading to a younger sibling. I'll have to try this one.

Linda - Thanks for directing me to Pathway Readers. I'll be looking into these.