PDA

View Full Version : Apologia Astronomy

stephg
11-25-2009, 09:11 AM
I plan on adding Apologia Astronomy to our schedule in January. Knowing my ds he will probably ask to watch some solar system dvd's. I am not finding any with a Christian creation point of view. Do you watch solar system documentaries in your house?

Thanks.

Christi in VA
11-25-2009, 02:22 PM
This is a good opportunity to explain the young earth concept. Also, the author addresses this in the text :)

Susan A
11-25-2009, 03:18 PM
What about the Moody DVDs?????

Paige P
11-26-2009, 09:32 AM
There's one that's cheap and doesn't talk about creation at all -- it's just facts about the Solar System. I found it for $3 at Dollar General over a year ago. It's a low-budget production, but it has songs that go along with the planets, and my dc LOVE it :crazy: We can't believe it, but they think it's great and have learned a lot about the planets from it. It's called The Solar System (I think????) and is in a turquoisy blue case if you can find it.

Sue in MN
11-27-2009, 03:03 AM
Journeys to the Edge of Creation by Moody Institute of Science is just amazing. I used to own it in VHS and I recently bought it again in DVD.

stephg
11-27-2009, 05:26 AM
Thanks everyone. I will check out the dvd's you mentioned.

Paige P
11-27-2009, 09:01 AM
I'm editing to change the title of the DVD from Dollar General -- it's called Field Trip to the Planets.

Edwena
11-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Light of Faith (http://http://www.lightoffaith.com/xcart/search.php?mode=search&page=1)has the Moody DVD Journeys to the Edge of Creation for $7.50 and if you signup for their monthly e-mails on the homepage on the right down a little, you can get free shipping on your first order. This is the cheapest I've seen the DVD and just ordered it for ds tonight.

CherylF
12-03-2009, 03:09 PM
I have one I picked up at a used curriculum sale - Moody Kid's The Newton's Workshop As The World Spins - The Solar System. Phew...that's a long title!

We just started using Apologia Astronomy today!!! DS asked me last week if we could do more science, which is his favorite subject, so I decided to add this on to his curriculum in addition to FIAR.

Holly S
12-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Not a DVD, but I bought a Magic Schoolbus science kit to go along with it. So far the kids have enjoyed it and I haven't come across any evolution. It has some great experiments to add to the ones in the book. There's a poster and solar system kit that I plan on adding to as we finish up each planet. There's also a red flashlight (for using outdoors) and a constellation chart that will come in handy. Plus a few other neat things.