PDA

View Full Version : CD go-along with Babar "Surprise Symphony"

Loren
04-11-2007, 02:10 PM
We are trying to finish up testing this week, but Babar came by ILL and will not be renewed, so we're also trying to do that.

I checked the library catalogue for the "Surprise Symphony" and found a copy in the children's section. It is on a CD called Beethoven's Wig: Singalong Symphonies. This CD is so much fun!:jester: :yes: They have put words to bits of classical music, and the lyrics are related to either the title of the piece or the work that the piece came from. After running through the songs with the lyrics, they play them again without words; you can hear what the music sounds like and have the fun lyrics to help remember it.

The Surprise Symphony starts like this:

Listen very carefully
To this noted symphony
Maybe you will recognize
Haydn's great surprise
Though it's slow make no mistake
This piece will keep you awake
With a trick that typifies
Haydn's great surprise
Did that outburst startle you?

My boys thoroughly enjoy this CD, and they are listening to great music, learning a little about the composers (and the British monarchs), and being kind of quiet.

Julianna
04-11-2007, 03:54 PM
My 5yo adores this CD! She learned to hum and recognize the tunes after only a few times of listening to the CD. :clap:

I have had to tell her several times though that the music doesn't *really* have words. ;)

There are several volumes available, but we've only heard the first.

Shannon
04-11-2007, 08:38 PM
This sounds great, and my library has it - yeah!
Thanks for sharing. :)

Kelly K
04-11-2007, 09:35 PM
There are 3 volumes from this guy. I like the first 2 best, but all 3 are fun fun fun.

Lis in MA
04-11-2007, 10:09 PM
;)

My neighbor Cyrena :hi: and her family introduced me to this CD, last year, I think. It's very fun!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Lis

Shannon F.
04-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Awe man, my son would LOVE that and my library doesn't have it! I guess I'll have to check the bookstore...:sad:

Lisa in Virginia
04-12-2007, 11:43 AM
We rowed Babar last week. I purchased Beethoven's Wig and my kids LOVE it. I thought at first I might be "dumbing down" the classics but I'll catch my kids humming the music to a lot of these tunes now. It is really great and a lot of fun.

Julie Y
04-28-2008, 11:39 PM
Thanks for recommending Beethoven's Wig. I must have read this thread, put the CD on hold at the library, and promptly forgot all about it. When I picked it up at the library today, I couldn't remember why I requested it or where I heard about it.

So, I popped it into the CD player while sitting in a parking lot waiting for dd to finish bb practice, having no idea what to expect. Then I just laughed and laughed my whole way through the CD and enjoyed reading the lyrics and the quiz questions on the little booklet. Most enjoyable waiting time I've spent in ages!

The only thing is -- I thought for sure the main singer was Bob the Tomato (or the guy who plays him). I was much surprised to look it up at home and discover it wasn't him at all.

Anyway, I've put the next two CD's on hold at the library and can't wait to hear them. Clever, clever lyrics!!:thumb:

Kelly K
04-30-2008, 07:20 AM
I'm so glad you liked them!!!!

They are so unbelieveably clever! I hope he comes out with more soon.