PDA

View Full Version : Frappe

Lynn,NC
04-17-2010, 05:46 PM
I hate to admit it, but is anyone else addicted to McDonald's mocha frappes? I'm hoping that this is just a passing fling and that I can get on with my life soon. :lol:

PS - it all started with a coupon. Beware.

Michelle Pfeifer
04-17-2010, 06:45 PM
For me it's the caramel, but the mocha is good, too! :yum:

Michelle

Lynn,NC
04-17-2010, 06:54 PM
I'm afraid to even try the caramel. :lol:

Hollie in SC
04-17-2010, 07:02 PM
I love mocha frappes.

I've managed to avoid the ones at McDonald's since I was on Weight Watchers when they came out. I usually get a light mocha frappe at Starbucks which is not nearly as good....but fits my points better. We have a local place, though, that makes amazing :eek: frappes. It is very close to Tom's office and when I have a bad day, he hits the drive thru on the way home. There is no nutritional info so I remain blissfully ignorant. :roflol::roflol:The same folks have owned a pizza place in town since I was in high school. Ditto to the blissfully ignorant.

Enjoy, Lynn. :kiss:

Lynn,NC
04-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Hollie, the funny thing is I had given up coffee about three years ago -- cold turkey (that was quite a week), but recently have started to enjoy coffee in some form occasionally. I am not sure I have any more control, however, now that I've tried these. :lol: The older I get, though, the more I realize that life is about moderation when it comes to most things (including moderation) and why not enjoy a frappe when stress levels are high. :lol:

Hollie in SC
04-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Hollie, the funny thing is I had given up coffee about three years ago -- cold turkey (that was quite a week), but recently have started to enjoy coffee in some form occasionally. I am not sure I have any more control, however, now that I've tried these. :lol: The older I get, though, the more I realize that life is about moderation when it comes to most things (including moderate) and why not enjoy a frappe when stress levels are high. :lol:

:lol: Yes, a little treat is a good thing.:D

April Marie
04-17-2010, 07:38 PM
the older i get, though, the more i realize that life is about moderation when it comes to most things (including moderation) and why not enjoy a frappe when stress levels are high. :lol:

absolutely!! :D

MicheleNJ
04-17-2010, 07:41 PM
My dh works for one of the companies that make the frappe mix. The other week our local McDonald's was giving out free samples. We didn't get one though.

stacy z
04-17-2010, 08:02 PM
for me it is panerra's frozen caramel lattes. :yum:

Lynn,NC
04-17-2010, 08:08 PM
My dh works for one of the companies that make the frappe mix. The other week our local McDonald's was giving out free samples. We didn't get one though.

Oh my goodness! :lol:

Lynn,NC
04-17-2010, 08:09 PM
for me it is panerra's frozen caramel lattes. :yum:

Stacy, I bet I would love those! :yum: I love panerra's smoothies.

Lynn,NC
04-17-2010, 08:10 PM
absolutely!! :D

Isn't it nice to have that figured out? :lol:

Tami in IA
04-17-2010, 08:43 PM
:hi: Me, Me, Me!! I am so addicted to the moca too!
Did you know that you can get them made with skim milk instead of whole milk or cream?

AmyinWI
04-17-2010, 08:49 PM
I enjoy them also! :yum:
but I really haven't checked into the caloric/nutritional values (I'm sure it's not good) not to mention they're pricey-

so I have been making my own version- frozen coffee cubes (I keep them in the freezer at all times) , some lowfat plain or vanilla yogurt, cocoa powder, and sweetener of choice (usually stevia or a bit of sugar) Throw everything in blender until smooth and fluffy.

not quite as good as McD's- but helps me get over the cravings.

Ginger in Ohio
04-17-2010, 08:52 PM
but I really haven't checked into the caloric/nutritional values (I'm sure it's not good) not to mention they're pricey-

so I have been making my own version- frozen coffee cubes (I keep them in the freezer at all times) , some lowfat plain or vanilla yogurt, cocoa powder, and sweetener of choice (usually stevia or a bit of sugar) Throw everything in blender until smooth and fluffy.

Good to know, I think I'll give the homemade version a try!

Lynn,NC
04-17-2010, 09:01 PM
:hi: Me, Me, Me!! I am so addicted to the moca too!
Did you know that you can get them made with skim milk instead of whole milk or cream?

NO! I had no idea. We've taken this to a whole new level.

Lynn,NC
04-17-2010, 09:02 PM

Heyyyyyyy, that's an idea! I make homemade smoothies nearly daily, so why not frappes? I'll definitely have to try this. Thanks for posting this! :)

Negin
04-18-2010, 03:17 AM
No Mickey D's here, but if there was, I know I would be addicted. :lol:
Whenever we visit the U.S., I love all the Dunkin Donuts drinks :yum: :D.

Ami
04-19-2010, 08:57 AM
:yes: :yum: They've replaced my weekly indulgence of Starbucks Signature Hot Chocolate (recently discontinued :( ) I was glad to find a new treat I love since we are now 40 miles from the nearest Starbucks.

Lynn,NC
04-19-2010, 09:28 AM

And we don't have a Dunkin Donuts near us, so I'll (for once) be thankful for Mickey D's! :lol: I had another mocha frappe yesterday afternoon, and I hid in the van to drink it. Well, I didn't really hide, but just sat there enjoying my frappe once we got home. :yum: :lol:

Lynn,NC
04-19-2010, 09:28 AM
:yes: :yum: They've replaced my weekly indulgence of Starbucks Signature Hot Chocolate (recently discontinued :( ) I was glad to find a new treat I love since we are now 40 miles from the nearest Starbucks.

Ami, my sister loves Starbucks. I can't wait to see if she's tried the McD's mocha frappe and what she thinks about it. :D

Nedra
04-19-2010, 09:33 AM
I have never had one at McDonalds. Love Starbucks. They are that good, eh?

My current love is Mango-a-go-go and Mango Mantra at Jamba Juice. We've been having a relationship for a couple of years now.

Lynn,NC
04-19-2010, 10:05 AM
Nedra, maybe it's because I've never had one anywhere else. :lol: This may open up a whole new world for me. An expensive, fattening world.

Candace C
04-19-2010, 10:23 AM
I have had one from McD's so far...and I think they are more chocolatey than the Starbucks. I was VERY impressed, because thus far I havent enjoyed the coffee drinks from McD's, compared to Starbucks anyway. I think the McD's frappe is a very good competitor for the starbucks. :D

We also don't have starbucks very close by, for which I'm thankful. But, now with these, I have yet another temptation to avoid. :lol:

Robin(CA)
04-19-2010, 11:21 AM
I don't go to McD, but I'm a fan of the Starbucks ones. I started making mine at home with cold coffee, a splash of milk, a little sugar and lots of ice and blended it using my hand blender. YUM!
I got a coffee frap at Starbucks for the first time in forever yesterday and it was actually too sweet for me, lol.

Lynn,NC
04-19-2010, 03:14 PM
I have had one from McD's so far...and I think they are more chocolatey than the Starbucks. I was VERY impressed, because thus far I havent enjoyed the coffee drinks from McD's, compared to Starbucks anyway. I think the McD's frappe is a very good competitor for the starbucks. :D

We also don't have starbucks very close by, for which I'm thankful. But, now with these, I have yet another temptation to avoid. :lol:

Candace, that's why I'm so curious about what my sister will say. She's not a fan of McD's coffee drinks either, and generally prefers Starbucks. I do think she'll like the frappe, though. :)

Lynn,NC
04-19-2010, 03:15 PM
I don't go to McD, but I'm a fan of the Starbucks ones. I started making mine at home with cold coffee, a splash of milk, a little sugar and lots of ice and blended it using my hand blender. YUM!
I got a coffee frap at Starbucks for the first time in forever yesterday and it was actually too sweet for me, lol.

Robin, I have GOT to do this! This frappe fling is breaking the bank. :lol:

Lynn

Robin(CA)
04-19-2010, 03:46 PM
That's why I started doing it . . . at $3-4 each, it was killing my spending money! :lol:

Lynn,NC
04-19-2010, 05:43 PM
And Robin, I made the mistake of letting my children and hubby taste the first one, which means anywhere from 9 to 15 dollars a trip unless I keep it a big secret. :lol: This MUST stop. And soon.

Chalane (FL)
04-19-2010, 05:52 PM
And Robin, I made the mistake of letting my children and hubby taste the first one, which means anywhere from 9 to 15 dollars a trip unless I keep it a big secret. :lol: This MUST stop. And soon.

Mabye this will help a friend recently looked up the calories (she is addicted too) and said it was 550 cals. for a med. She says it'll help her stay away.

Chalane (FL)
04-19-2010, 05:54 PM

Thanks Robin. I used to make a starbucks knock-off, but always put caramel in it (I can't anymore:sad:). I came to this thread hoping someone would mention how they make theirs:clap:

Hollie in SC
04-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Thought of ya'll today when this came--if you are looking for a lower cal version for home (No, I haven't tried it. Looks good....but it is a hot drink.)
http://www.hungry-girl.com/wednesdaypreview.php?newsletterid=2050

CindyJ
04-21-2010, 09:30 PM
:I was glad to find a new treat I love since we are now 40 miles from the nearest Starbucks.

Amy - I didn't know it was possible to live 40 miles from a Starbucks within the 48 states!! LOL - I think there are 3 within 10 miles of us .... probably would help my budget if I lived farther away. :)

Lynn,NC
04-21-2010, 09:35 PM
Mabye this will help a friend recently looked up the calories (she is addicted too) and said it was 550 cals. for a med. She says it'll help her stay away.

Oh, Chalane, that does help! Big time. :lol:

We have actually been making our own for the last couple of days, thanks to the wonderful suggestions here!

I make strong coffee and then freeze it into ice cubes. I go ahead and sweeten the coffee to taste before freezing. I put about 2 cups worth of cubes into the blender, 1/4 to 1/2 cup of milk, Hershey's chocolate syrup to taste and blend. I top with whipped cream and chocolate syrup.

Probably just as many calories, but at least cheaper. :lol:

Lynn

Lynn,NC
04-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Thought of ya'll today when this came--if you are looking for a lower cal version for home (No, I haven't tried it. Looks good....but it is a hot drink.)
http://www.hungry-girl.com/wednesdaypreview.php?newsletterid=2050

Thanks for that link! I like hot drinks too! :)

JavaJackie
04-22-2010, 08:39 AM
We were in a hurry a few weeks back and decided to swing into McD's for breakfast. When I pulled up the lady at the window asked me if I had ever tried a frappe. She said they had made two by mistake for the car ahead of me and she would rather give me the extra one than throw it away.
Oh My!:yum:
I didnt even know what I was missing! Then I got my hubby hooked and so are averaging about 1 a week now!

Lynn,NC
04-22-2010, 02:46 PM
We were in a hurry a few weeks back and decided to swing into McD's for breakfast. When I pulled up the lady at the window asked me if I had ever tried a frappe. She said they had made two by mistake for the car ahead of me and she would rather give me the extra one than throw it away.
Oh My!:yum:
I didnt even know what I was missing! Then I got my hubby hooked and so are averaging about 1 a week now!

Jackie, I so know what you mean! Like I mentioned, it all started with a coupon. So innocent. Beware. :lol:

Heather W
04-22-2010, 03:06 PM
Lynn I thought of you today in the McDs drive while getting lunch. :) I'm a Coke girl, but I smiled that you are in love with the frappe!

Shelly L
05-29-2011, 08:28 AM
I stumbled onto this thread and thought I ought to revive it -- ha! You know, summer's coming!

Anyway, just wondered how the homemade frappe versions are going and if anyone has changed/perfected your recipes?

Last Sunday, after a *very* stressful time of moving back into our home after some construction, I kept melting into tears (maybe small crying outbursts, shall we say?) and since our daughter went to our church with some friends (so we could move -- had to be out of our temporary housing that morning), my husband suggested we head to town for burgers and a 'stove-shopping' excursion. After we bought a new stove (had to, 'cuz ours was leaking gas! :eek:) we went to the local grocery, which happens to have a Starbucks right at the entrance, and he bought me a Frappucino!!

So now, what do I crave every time I walk into that grocery door, which is a few times a week???!!!

The nice thing is, this Starbucks fixes sample-sized versions of specialty drinks and sets about 20 of them on the counter, free for the taking! My daughter and I just about have it timed perfectly to go in there late afternoon and 'hit the samples'! :lol: (a limit of one for each of us, of course!) It's getting kind of bad -- but I decided I really need to figure out how to make these buggers at home!!

Tricia O
05-30-2011, 12:02 AM
I have tried the McD's version before, but did not like it. It was way too sweet, and I usually like sweet. I do love Starbucks Mocha Frappucinos, but the nearest starbucks is 40 minutes away, so this is a rare treat.

Robin H in VA
05-30-2011, 06:44 AM
I have had the ones at McDonald's and I have to say I was not impressed! Please don't stone me. :lol:

Ds and I are stuck on the ones from Starbucks and can't seem to get away from them. Of course we only get them when we go to Barnes and Noble, so that is not a lot. There is a Starbucks that we drive by nearly 3x a week, but for some reason we never stop, I guess because there aren't any books luring us in. :lol:

Nedra
05-30-2011, 08:56 AM
I hate to admit it, but is anyone else addicted to McDonald's mocha frappes? I'm hoping that this is just a passing fling and that I can get on with my life soon. :lol:

PS - it all started with a coupon. Beware.

Oh yessssssssssssss.....:D

A few months ago I found a new love though...Starbucks Passion Iced Tea. They are delicious and cheap as far as Starbucks goes (around $2.00), and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay fewer calories.

ETA: I am giggling because I must have already posted on this thread before our McDonald's had frapps. Now we have them, and yes, it all started as a buy one get one free coupon...LOL!

Jennifer in VA
05-30-2011, 04:03 PM
Wow, from what I've read, I'm the only one on the "block" that, after trying the first round w/coupons (both mocha and carmal) I throw the coupons away. They tasted artifical to me.

Home made ones can be REALLY good. Enjoy the process of finding the right combination of chocolate, strength of coffee, milk/yogurt/whatever, sweetener.

Jeni
05-30-2011, 05:59 PM

I miss my Vanilla Chai from Dunkin Donuts soooo much. I would get one or two a week when we were in Okinawa. The nearest Dunkin Donuts is 30 minutes east of me, past what seemed like millions of them on my way to California and back in March but still haven't had one since we left Okinawa 4 years ago :(

So tell me ladies, does Starbucks make a Vanilla Chai? Anyone know how it compares to the Dunkin Donuts one? We have a Starbucks here but I hate coffee so I've only been to Starbucks once because a friend coerced me and tried to convince me that Starbucks can make coffee that doesn't taste like coffee :lol:...she was wrong. :p :lol:

HeatherS
05-30-2011, 09:08 PM
Mocha Frappes are yummy, but I prefer frappuccinos from Starbucks, especially the new mocha coconut ones. Mmmm....

Shelly L
05-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Mocha Frappes are yummy, but I prefer frappuccinos from Starbucks, especially the new mocha coconut ones. Mmmm....

Yes, our little 'perks' of freebies at the Starbucks at our grocery store is quite nice! (see earlier post) and I think I may have had a 'sample' of the mocha coconut one! It was quite good!

AmyinWI
05-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Wow, from what I've read, I'm the only one on the "block" that, after trying the first round w/coupons (both mocha and carmal) I throw the coupons away. They tasted artifical to me.

Home made ones can be REALLY good. Enjoy the process of finding the right combination of chocolate, strength of coffee, milk/yogurt/whatever, sweetener.

I have to agree with you ! I can't even stand their shakes anymore. I guess since I've been eating healthier, I am really sensitive to foods with artificial additives. :unsure: