PDA

View Full Version : lost with lapbooks

erinkate
11-01-2010, 01:38 PM
I need help. :blush:

I love the idea of lapbooks ... and I love all of the samples I've seen ... and I love the one I bought for How To Make An Apple Pie ... but honestly, I have no idea how to actually implement them.

I keep reading and rereading posts by other FIAR moms, but the info seems to be swirling in my head and not settling into understanding.

Teach me, please.

How do I use the lapbooks? What do we make them in ... binders? manilla folders ... etc? Do you add a lot of extra lesson ideas into the lapbook? Do you stick with the ideas from the purchased template? Do you even buy the templates or do you create your own?

I *really* want to include this with each book we row, but I am stumped, and I know it must be much more simple than I am making it.

Thank you!

Marie IN
11-01-2010, 01:50 PM
They can be done a bunch of different ways. We use colored file folders, though if it's a longer study we use a bare book ( blank cardstock that is spiral bound). We either use a purchased lapbook or FNL or a freebie from Homeschool Share. I don't use every piece that's inlcuded--just the ones I think are important or that ds enjoyed from the story. The only thing I make on my own is a simple fold which lists all the go along books, movies, cds we used. Depending on the book/unit, my ds will color some of the lapbook pieces. If not, I print the pieces on colored paper to give it more color. My ds tells me the answer and I write it down for him. We use the lapbook as a review of what he learned. We will either do a couple pieces a day or go through the whole thing in one day depending on interest.
Hope this helped!

Kendra AU
11-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Here's how we do ours. This works for any FIAR book that we do. :D

Monday -- we usually do the Social Study lessons. After we look on our big wall maps for the place our book "takes place" in. We do the lapbooking activity that goes with it. If we discuss other Social Study lessons we might do those lapbook activities. I have to guage my 7 year old as we go because he can burn out quickly. If he's willing and we have things that tie in with those lessons we do them. Otherwise we might work on one little booklet each day, and two here or there.

Tuesday -- we tend to do vocabulary for just about every book. Our family is big on words and my boys love learning new words to use. So I'll give them their lapbook "stuff" for the vocabulary words and as we read out the words and their meanings we put the card or item in their lapbook. Sometimes it's index cards, other times it's pictures they can glue onto a booklet. Either way it works. If there's another LA lessons we usually do this too as my guys often have a lot of fun with LA. For instance, today we'll be doing Vocabulary words & Onomatopoeia for Bee Tree.

Wednesday we often do an art lesson. There may or may not be lapbook/notebook stuff for this. If there is we do it, otherwise we just do the hands on lesson in the manual and then we paste their picture into the lapbook. Or, sometimes we use it on the cover (front or back). For the record, all art lessons (and any lessons for that matter) come from the manual and as we learn/read them the children do the lapbook piece to it. ;)

Thursday we often do the math lesson. Sometimes we'll just do word problems based on the book we've just used. These might be ones we do orally with manipulatives. I like to have my kids work together at times to solve math problems so they can each feed off of the other one's strengths.

Friday we spend the entire day up to our eyeballs in science most of the time! This is the subject my kids could live in, especially if there are experiments. In some books, like Truman, Bee Tree, Make Way For Ducklings, etc. We will fully immerse ourselves in learning about that animal. For that we end up making an entire lapbook about the animal. When that happens we read a book about said animal and then we look at the booklets and write down our answers inside of them. The same thing could be accomplished by writing a mini report I suppose, but the boys really love those crazy little booklets. ;)

Natalie (SD)
11-01-2010, 08:36 PM
I like this topic, nice to see how others do it. We have just been lapbooking since August, and doing FIAR since September. We started out doing an All About Me lapbook and then an Australia lapbook (because my husband was there for a month in Aug/Sept) to get the hang of lapbooking. Then we added Five in a Row, and have done 3 books w/lapbooks. We have also rowed two books that we did not do a lapbook with. I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old, so we can only work on lapbook work or project FIAR work (like art or science) when the baby is sleeping or with dad, so our available time is constrainted.

My process is developing.

I typically prep the unit by deciding which FIAR activities we will do. Then I look on homeschool share and see what lapbook activities go with that. If there are any others that are the right level for my daughter that seem like they would appeal to her, I print those as well. I put them all in a folder.

During the week, we do the FIAR activities out of the manual and any additional activies or field trips I might have identified. When we have finished most of what we want to do, we do a lapbook session where we go through and work as a team to cut things out, paste them together, fill them out. I let my daughter do as much as she can/wants to, but I work along side her to make it go more quickly and/or save her from getting overwhelmed. She likes to color things, so I let her . . . my only rule is that we do a nice job on what we do . . . no scribbles.

I like this lapbook day, because it is a chance for my daughter to review concepts we have learned in a different way already . . . I can really see what she understood and where there are gaps or misunderstandings. Usually we can knock out the lapbook in one sitting, but sometimes it takes two.

I, myself, assemble the minibooks, art work, and even a few photos into the lapbook. I look at what we have and decide how to structure the book - if I need to add an art pocket, a second folder in one way or another, some fold down/up flaps . . . it is always just to accomodate what we have. I try to just use what we have . . . if I can use artwork for the front or back that's great. I have just written the title of the book on the front or left the back blank on some too - if we don't have the work to use, I don't make us do more. As my daughter gets a little older I am fine with her assembling it or helping to assemble it.

I do not make elaborate or ornate lapbooks . . . I try to remember for us that this isn't a craft it's just a way for us to catalog our learning so we can practice organizing information and have a way to share and review the information and my daughter's work.

I use file folders. Our first 5 or so were done on plain file folders, but I felt like even if I printed the minibooks on colored cardstock, they still looked bland. I did our last one on a colored folder, and feel like it is so much more vibrant!!

I use contact paper where I can on the book to strengthen it and/or protect pictures. I use card stock for mini books. I use a Creative Memories tape runner for adhesive.

If we have a blank spot - we have a blank spot. If my daughter uses dark marker and colors over a whole section we worked hard on :(, I just leave it like that and hope we memorized the info. I try not to stress or aim for any type of perfection.

Anyone who walks into my house, is sat down and has a lapbook read to them. :)

carolinaNJ
11-01-2010, 11:45 PM
What is a lapbook?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zb81qIxhpk&feature=related

Double lapbook
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brojT99jzdA

Jeni
11-02-2010, 11:09 AM
For your kids' ages, lapbooks are really going to be more of your project than theirs. My boys hated lapbooks so I stopped trying to force them :lol: ;) They do notebooking instead. My 9yo dd is just now able to do most of the cutting and gluing herself but I still have to help sometimes with placement and very detailed cuts and folds so she can get it all in one lapbook. :lol:

For my younger dd (the 4yo and I will probably continue to do it this way with her until she is 8 or 9) I find all the minibooks and print, cut them out out and glue them to the base (whatever I'm using for that unit, file folders re-folded into a lapbook, card stock in a binder, a 3 prong folder...) The lapbook is pretty much completely put together when we start rowing. Then as we are learning and rowing, we fill in each booklet. Sometimes I write, sometimes she writes, sometimes I make labels she can place, sometimes the minibook is completely finished when I put it in the lapbook and we just look through it for part of our lesson (off the top of my head, I did the hot air ballon book and making crayons book for Harold and the bagpipe book for Wee Gillis this way).

We don't lapbook every book row and we don't always lapbook a book while we row it. For example, we rowed Wee Gillis conversationally 2 or 3 weeks ago but it became one of her favorite books and she still requests it to be read to her several times a week. So even though we have moved on from Wee Gillis, I'm slowly putting together a lapbook for Wee Gillis for her. Well, for her, we have a binder and I make pages for her binder with lapbook elements and notebook pages we've done. She likes to look through it and I try to include elements that allow her to "play with it" like little games and activities she can do over and over.

Older dd's lapbooks are more a record of what she has learned. She's currently finishing up her Apple Pie lapbook (she joined in our Apple Pie row last week), she has a Story of the World lapbook and she wants to do an astronomy lapbook for our science unit. She does most of the cutting and pasting and she likes making actual lapbooks (the file folders refolded and extensions added and such) Since she's old enough to do most of the work herself I let her choose how to do it and just help and make suggestions when she's stuck.

There really is no right way to do it. Just jump in and get your feet wet! :D You will find the style that works best for you. While the FIAR fold n learns are great, they are really open ended. If you want a more pre-made one for your first lapbook, I would suggest either the Homeschool Share lapbook resources for FIAR books (http://www.homeschoolshare.com/five_in_a_row_resources.php) or Live & Learn Press Learn 'N Folders (http://www.liveandlearnpress.com/). Live & Learn Press has a lovely, elaborate Thanksgiving Learn 'N Folder that I believe you can get free if you join their Yahoo Group. I would not suggest doing the whole Learn 'N Folder for kids your kids' age. It is very big and elaborate and just plain overwhelming for a young child (say under third grade). Just choose a few of the booklets that look like fun for your kids this year (the ones toward the end of the file are great for little kids) and include them in your Cranberry Thanksgiving lapbook. That's what I'm doing this year for Cranberry Thanksgiving. :)

HTH

erinkate
11-03-2010, 07:47 PM
I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old, so we can only work on lapbook work or project FIAR work (like art or science) when the baby is sleeping or with dad, so our available time is constrainted.

My process is developing.

I typically prep the unit by deciding which FIAR activities we will do. Then I look on homeschool share and see what lapbook activities go with that. If there are any others that are the right level for my daughter that seem like they would appeal to her, I print those as well. I put them all in a folder.

I like this lapbook day, because it is a chance for my daughter to review concepts we have learned in a different way already . . . I can really see what she understood and where there are gaps or misunderstandings. Usually we can knock out the lapbook in one sitting, but sometimes it takes two.

I do not make elaborate or ornate lapbooks . . . I try to remember for us that this isn't a craft it's just a way for us to catalog our learning so we can practice organizing information and have a way to share and review the information and my daughter's work.

I use file folders. Our first 5 or so were done on plain file folders, but I felt like even if I printed the minibooks on colored cardstock, they still looked bland. I did our last one on a colored folder, and feel like it is so much more vibrant!!

I use contact paper where I can on the book to strengthen it and/or protect pictures. I use card stock for mini books. I use a Creative Memories tape runner for adhesive.

If we have a blank spot - we have a blank spot. If my daughter uses dark marker and colors over a whole section we worked hard on :(, I just leave it like that and hope we memorized the info. I try not to stress or aim for any type of perfection.

Anyone who walks into my house, is sat down and has a lapbook read to them. :)

So appreciate all of your thoughts here. I have been mulling this over and planned on pretty much your approach this week ... a lapbook day to assimilate some of the very creative learning in FIAR seems effective for my daughter. I also have a 4-year-old daughter and an almost 2-year-old son so one or two days of focusing on the lapbook during quiet time for the others might be a good approach.

Thank you for reminding me that it doesn't have to be incredibly crafty, but if it is, then she'll enjoy it that much more.

erinkate
11-03-2010, 07:47 PM
What is a lapbook?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zb81qIxhpk&feature=related

Double lapbook
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brojT99jzdA

So smart ... videos. Thank you! :clap:

erinkate
11-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Kendra--I love the idea of using the art from the week's lesson in the lap book ... or better yet ... as the cover. Thank you for sharing how you use the lapbooks. I love all of these ideas and I'll have to try different ways and see what works best for my daughter (and for me). Thank you for replying!

erinkate
11-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Jenni--
I am so intrigued by what Live N' Learn Press offers. So much to wade through on their site and it all looks really good. Thanks so much! I just learned about homeschoolshare.com, too, and found that to be a tremendous resource for our Apple Pie lapbook this week.

I still have a long way to go, but your ideas and experience are so helpful. I am really grateful!