PDA

View Full Version : BY planning help needed

Gail in NY
11-09-2010, 07:59 AM
I have tried BY in the past and it didn't gop too well. After drifting around some I am back, but I need more help in planning so I feel like I am making progress. NOw for my questions -

My dd has read all the books just because she is a reader. Even my 6 yo has heard a lot of them. He begs for them as read alouds even in he summer! So my idea is to just go through the books again and pull out the lessons we want. So. Do I do a lot of these orally? - as in just discuss these topics with her? I can assign a Prairie Notebook or Sea notebook, and although she is highly creative and academic ( I came home from the grocery store one day and as a 4th grader she showed me a page she did where she diagrammed different types of bacteria and told what diseases they caused! :eek:!!)when it came to the sea or praire nb, she had that deer-in-the-headlights look on her face. I am very much a read and discuss person, but I want her to have a notebook and I guess I do not see enough solid direction in the manual for me to do that. Seems I just have a total mental block with BY. Can you help me? I want to do this!

Nedra
11-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Stalking this thread...

Tamie_in_MI
11-09-2010, 01:56 PM
I think that looking at some of the ARCHIVES ( http://www.fiveinarow.com/~gbprnhrz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31 ) might help. REMEMBER though, don't get so wrapped up in them that it gets overwhelming.

Oh - I think doing a Fold-N-Learn might help that type of thinking too.

Prov31Sandra
11-09-2010, 08:47 PM
I did 2.5 volumes of FIAR and am on my 2nd day of using BY.

So far this is how we do it:

I go to Homeschool Share and print off notebook pages ...but I only print the ones that match the topics I plan to use. IOW I follow the manual not the HSShare website ideas.

So then the kids and I just sit and discuss. Then we use the World Book Online to look things up. Then they do the suggested activity (this week they labeled food pyramid, made a day's menu, and tomorrow my older one will do research on Edward Jenner and Louis Pasteur.) new will do the quick soap demonstration with the frying pan from tonight and maybe let my younger dd use World Book Kids to look up soap ingredients.

I don't do lapbookinh because then I find myself doing busywork of making the lapbooks when really my kids learn more by sticking to me discussing from the book. So I prefer to keep a notebook.

But not everything we do will be in the notebook so I am going to faithfully use the checklist in the back of the book to show all the topics covered.

I love Homeschool Share for the notebook pages.