PDA

View Full Version : My family's conversation about conversational learning

Erika in TX
11-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Last night I struck up a conversation about learning, specifically, learning by discussion. My oldest dd, my dh, and my 12 dd were in on it. I asked oldest dd what she remembered about learning when we did FIAR. Granted that was years ago, but she said what she remembered most was learning about the topics while looking at the books. For example, learning about gondolas, canal systems, and Venice, by looking at the book Papa Piccolo. She can still picture those pages in her mind. I did have several books about Venice and a video (I think) that we used but she could not recall these. She also said that she retained the most information on the books that we re-visited several times. Hmmmm....

Then I asked my dh. How do you and the people you work with learn new things? As a nurse, there are several times that a hands on approach is needed, but often they have someone inservice them (talking) and then they can ask questions to clarify (discussion). Hmmmm....

So I told them that the reason I was asking was that I was trying to get to the bottom of the age old question in my mind. Can children learn conversationally? So far, I was learning that the answer was YES! I also told them that I get into the mindset that I have to "prove" that we discussed _________ by having somethng to show for it. But that thinking is flawed, because that's not what is done in the real world. No one has handed out a worksheet to my dh after an inservice. :lol: Then my 12 yo dd chimed in and said that "doing" something (worksheet, lapbook, etc.) when learning should be when there is interest expressed by the student. She told me that "doing" something when she wasn't "into" whatever it was actually turned off her curiosity. Hmmmm....

In review of this I learned (from our conversations ;)) that doing FIAR just as it's written with delight directed additional activities is the answer. That indeed children (as well as adults) learn by discussion. I am now giving myself permission not to "prove" all of our discussions and only "do something" when I see that spark of interest.

Luisa
11-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Very nice!

Jocelyne
11-10-2010, 09:58 AM
In review of this I learned (from our conversations ;)) that doing FIAR just as it's written with delight directed additional activities is the answer. That indeed children (as well as adults) learn by discussion. I am now giving myself permission not to "prove" all of our discussions and only "do something" when I see that spark of interest.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I have recently moved to a delight directed approach to learning. Parker is a very hands-on learner so I wasn't sure how the switch would go. However it is working beautifully. His self-created projects are better than any I could ever plan. And if he asks me to search for ideas on doing something with xxx I do and then he takes the ideas and tweaks them to fit his need/want.

There are about 10 FIAR books we have yet to cover in Vol 1-3. I was originally going to just let them go. But the more I think about it the more I think I am just going to do things 100% conversationally. I know he would never say no to me reading a book ;) And, if he wants more out of something we discuss he will ask.

Rachel Jane
11-10-2010, 10:10 AM
:cool:

Natalie (SD)
11-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Agree! Love it that you have older FIAR kids who can give you this feedback! Thanks for sharing!

Gail in NY
11-10-2010, 02:22 PM
conversationally works the best here too. I felt when I was pushing lapbooks it was unnatural, forced, and killed the enthusiasm if evreything turned into a 'lesson'. What I would do was keep a scrapbook of our fiar journey - more of a glorified portfolio. I may journal, book, topics and go aongs. I would take pics of activities, projects and such to include. If I can get something for a note book, I will, but I do not want to force unnatural learning. My ds adores thiese notebook/scrapbook /photo-journal of our learning. Re-reading the books is a favorite past time.

Rebe
11-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Erika, thanks for your encouraging post! :clap:

JessD
11-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Thanks for sharing, Erika! That's really awesome to hear! As a newbie to all of this I sometimes start worrying and second-guessing if I'm doing enough, but Ds really does learn a lot (probably a majority) from just talking it through and discussing!

Erika in TX
11-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Thanks for sharing, Erika! That's really awesome to hear! As a newbie to all of this I sometimes start worrying and second-guessing if I'm doing enough, but Ds really does learn a lot (probably a majority) from just talking it through and discussing!

:yes:

And when he graduates he will tell stories of the great memories you and he have made through FIAR. Ask me how I know...;)

JessD
11-15-2010, 12:42 PM
And when he graduates he will tell stories of the great memories you and he have made through FIAR. Ask me how I know...;)

:clap: yay!