PDA

View Full Version : Jotham's Journey

BeckyOK
11-16-2010, 12:20 PM
https://www.libraryanded.com
So happy that this series is easy to get now. All three are available here for $8+
Other places have some of them too very reasonable.

Melanie
11-16-2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks for that link!

So many people here post about this series. Could someone tell me what it is about it that you love so much? I ask because I am trying to decide if I should buy it or not. Previously, I had planned to just use existing books and library books for Christmas this year. But if this series is really that special, and if I can really get it at such a wonderful price ;), I may look into it.

Thanks!

Robin in Colorado
11-16-2010, 05:24 PM
In a nutshell, you do one each year, and every three years you rotate through again.

We read them every night just before bedtime, by candlelight, beginning on Sunday after Thanksgiving and ending Christmas morning. They are meant to be read 1 chapter at a time. At the end of each, there is a short devotional for discussion.

These stories are cliff-hangers every night. They can be scarey - DON"T read ahead, but do let your eyes read faster than your mouth so you can edit as you go for the benefit of your more sensitive listeners.

Each story contains a main character: Jotham, Bartholomew or Tabitha. Each main character ends up on a very difficult journey, fraught with danger and even death. Jotham is on the journey because he was rebellious and disobedient. People died because of his bad choices. Bartholomew is on the journey because that is just the hand he was dealt. Tabitha is on her journey because she chose it out of love for a friend. You will see all 3 characters in each book, as their paths cross again and again.

You will also meet other characters, many who will be familiar from the Bible.

During the story, you realize a lot of things: Jesus was not born into a sanitized world. Even His family was a tad dysfunctional, just like all the rest of us. Our actions and decisions affect others - for good or bad. God never abandons us. And... What we're all looking for is found first at the manger and finally at the cross.

I can't recommend these books enough. In the last 3 years I've ordered around $600 worth of them each year for friends (they pay me and I place the order). They give them as gifts, start a new family tradition, or continue that tradition in the future as they buy copies for their children's future families.

These are huge and we all look forward to them annually.

Melanie
11-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Thank you, Robin! Do you think they are appropriate for a not-so-sensitive 6 year old boy?

LisaM
11-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Thank you, Robin! Do you think they are appropriate for a not-so-sensitive 6 year old boy?

I used Jotham last year with my then-five-year-old ds (and my 9 year old dd). . . I did edit some parts as I read to them, but we all loved it!

Robin in Colorado
11-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Well, this is our 5th year through them... We started out w/ a 7yo, a 5yo and a 1 yo. So, as long as your eyes reading ahead of your mouth, you'll be fine.

Christy
11-18-2010, 12:00 PM
This will also be our 5th year with this series and we all LOVE LOVE LOVE them!! We own Jotham and Bartholomew but could never get our hands on Tabitha. Thank you SO much for sharing this!

Nancy Ann
11-21-2010, 05:50 PM
I didn't understand how to use that link Becky:unsure:

But I did find all 3 at Christianbook. http://www.christianbook.com/jothams-journey/arnold-ytreeide/9780825441745/pd/441745?event=AAI

Would a Catholic or Orthodox christian have trouble with these books? They look really good.