PDA

View Full Version : Wasn't there a make ahead gravy?

Carol S
11-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Much as it sounds tasty to have the actual turkey drippings involved in the gravy, we never seem to get it right. I think it's mostly a matter of the time involved for good separation so we don't get it too fatty.

So if anyone could help me out, I think I would like to try that this year.

Donna H
11-23-2010, 02:36 PM
I don't have the recipe, but it seems like Becky Jane (?) had posted a make-ahead turkey gravy recipe using turkey wings to make your stock. Maybe someone else saved it?

Rebe
11-23-2010, 02:58 PM
I have "Perfect Gravy" that you make ahead, but not with turkey wings. I tried the turkey wings thing one year (not Becky's recipe; another one) and it didn't work for me. My recipe is just a basic flour/chicken broth (I can't remember what else) ahead of time, then reheated and drippings added right before serving. I think the drippings really make the flavor of gravy.

You're right, the fat separation isn't want I like it to be, but I can usually skim off quite a bit with a spoon. I keep meaning to buy one of those gravy-making measuring cup things where the spout is attached to the bottom -- have you seen those? It allows you to pour from the bottom so you're not pouring the fat.

If you want the recipe, let me know. But you'd still have to skim the fat yourself...

Carol S
11-23-2010, 03:19 PM
Send it on, please.

Rebe
11-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Perfect Gravy
(Parents magazine, late '90s)

5 Tbs. butter
1/3 cup flour
2 14-oz. cans chicken broth

In large saucepan, melt butter over med-low heat. Add flour and cook 3 minutes, stirring. Whisk in broth.

Increase heat to med-high and bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low, and let simmer 15 minutes, stirring often. Cool gravy completely. Transfer to container, cover, and refrigerate up to 3 days.

When ready to serve, reheat gravy, add pan juices from turkey, and heat to just boiling. Thin with more broth if gravy is too thick after reheating.

I really love homemade gravy, but I really hate making it at the last minute after the turkey is done. So I love this recipe! :thumb: I end up just adding pan drippings until the gravy is the consistency I like.

Carol S
11-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Okay, so after you put the broth in the roux and cook it a while, you're ending up with something pretty thick, right?

Rebe
11-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Yes, it's thick. And after it's been refrigerated, it's really, really thick. It sort of plops into your pan very unappetizingly. But when you reheat it and especially after you add the drippings, it thins out to the right consistency. I haven't ever had to add broth at the end, but I add a LOT of drippings. ;)

Carol S
11-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Rebe, this is unquestionably the best gravy we've put on the Thanksgiving table since we moved away and didn't have my mom making it. Woohoo!! Thank you so much.

Rebe
11-25-2010, 08:32 PM
Woo hoo! :clap: I'm glad you liked it!

I thought of you while I was skimming and skimming the fat this afternoon. :)

Carol S
11-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Today I give thanks that this recipe is still on here!! I'm not sure whether I mailed this to myself last year, but I will this time. :kiss:

Rebe
11-22-2011, 11:02 AM
:lol: I saw the title and was going to respond ... then I saw that I already did. :) Happy gravy to you! (I'll be making it, too!)

Dawn Gilmore
11-22-2011, 01:38 PM
:lol: I saw the title and was going to respond ... then I saw that I already did. :) Happy gravy to you! (I'll be making it, too!)

:roflol:

Dawn Gilmore
11-22-2011, 11:30 PM
Okay... so I've done the pre-work, and now it's in the fridge chilling...

I've got guests coming for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, (I have to work Thursday) and I'm experimenting with all sorts of new recipes :lol: )

Melissa Crabtree
11-23-2011, 10:40 AM
I've got guests coming for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, (I have to work Thursday) and I'm experimenting with all sorts of new recipes :lol: )

You are very brave. :)