PDA

View Full Version : Bad Equilibrium

Kendra AU
12-07-2010, 05:34 AM
Anyone else suffer? I always have a "soggy" ear, but it's gotten so bad of late just saying the word dizzy makes me feel dizzy. I haven't even been able to jump on our giant trampoline in MONTHS because I come off so dizzy I can get an instant migraine.

In fact, I'm all most convinced it's the cause of the migraines, but I'm not exactly sure how to explain that one to the Dr. ;)

Is it, by any chance, a spin off of TMJ? My jaw has been bad (left side only weirdly enough) and I can set it off anytime I eat a non cut up apple. :eyes: Seriously annoying. And when I say "set it off" I mean the TMJ pain symptoms in my jaw, not the equilibrium issues. :lol:

Rachel Jane
12-07-2010, 07:18 AM
Yes, daily.

I take Allegra D, 1/2 pill in the day, a whole pill at night and I use a nasal spray called Astelin. This makes it so that I can function. Also, the dog trainer that I work under taught me how to touch the seam of my pants on the opposite side of my body so as to remain upright and not step into my pup when we are heeling. It works!

I have had the migraine dr suggest that it is a migraine in the ear, the way some people lose their vision with a migraine and some people go paralyzed on one side.

The rhu suggested that it might be AIED...auto-immune ear disease, but this usually rides on another immunity issue.

Trudy
12-07-2010, 07:51 AM
Yes, I have this problem also. I'll keep my eye on this thread.

Robin H in VA
12-07-2010, 09:21 AM
I don't have this problem, but my dad does. His was caused by rifle fire in the military. He has been out for years now, but he still has issues. He also has hearing loss in both ears, but the right is more affected. Unlike you, he doesn't have problems with TMJ. But if he goes up high (like a tree stand) he gets VERY dizzy, even sometimes when he stands after watching TV he is dizzy.

Not sure if this helps you any, but his is eased up once his doctor cleanses his ears out. It helps for a few months, but he still advised not to fly, jump out of planes/helicopters or go up in tree stands.

Kendra AU
12-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Hmm..

I wake up with that whole "soggy" ear feeling. I've never had excessively dirty ears, and I can't remember if the ear I have the issue with is the same ear that I had a WICKED BAD case of swimmer's ear in once when I was a kid. It was a REALLY bad case of it.

When I say "soggy" ear I mean I can stick my finger in and wiggle it and it comes out wet. :unsure: The same side of my jaw is the one that gets the TMJ symptoms which is why I wondered if they were connected.

Rj, I find the migraine in the ear theory unusual but not impossible. I was diagnosed with sinus something or other migraines which means they hit all my sinus pressure points. That came from the neurologist, and interestingly enough my GP in the US said that he felt my migraines were all allergy related. Which makes me wonder if the ear thing is also allergy related.

Robin, hmm interesting. All though I've never fired a gun before and have never done loud anything either. Weirdly enough my ears have always been REALLY sensitive. Im' the person who says, "Why is your music so loud?" and people show me it's only up a notch or two and should basically be at a normal level but it sounds like it's screaming to me. :lol:

I did have mega vertigo issues before leaving America but that was when they had me on a different preventative migraine medication. I'd stand up and have to sit right back down again, it wasn't fun AT all.

So, I tried googling bad or poor equilibrium only to discover it's a movie. :lol: I had no idea, but I must say it really made me doubt my vocabulary for a few minutes! :lol:

Trudy, :group:

Rachel Jane
12-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Rj, I find the migraine in the ear theory unusual but not impossible. I was diagnosed with sinus something or other migraines which means they hit all my sinus pressure points. That came from the neurologist, and interestingly enough my GP in the US said that he felt my migraines were all allergy related. Which makes me wonder if the ear thing is also allergy related.

Robin, hmm interesting. All though I've never fired a gun before and have never done loud anything either. Weirdly enough my ears have always been REALLY sensitive. Im' the person who says, "Why is your music so loud?" and people show me it's only up a notch or two and should basically be at a normal level but it sounds like it's screaming to me. :lol:

I did have mega vertigo issues before leaving America but that was when they had me on a different preventative migraine medication. I'd stand up and have to sit right back down again, it wasn't fun AT all.

For me, the ear thing is most definitely allergy related. If I forget to take the meds, I am in major trouble with ear pressure and nausea.

After a flight from FL to NJ in 2007, I went into a puking episode that landed me in the hospital. My ears couldn't take the pressure. On the flights to and from Alaska, I use ear ease (things you screw into your ears) and that helped a great deal, although I had tears in my eyes during the first one.

I can relate to sounds being too loud...yet not being able to hear out of my left ear. :eyes:

Rachel Jane
12-07-2010, 03:20 PM
BTW, I have been to a neurologist and had a brain scan, been to an ENT to check for Meiner's Disease, been offered beta blockers, sent to a rhuemetologist, blah blah blah...

You call your ear soggy...I always said mine was 'puddlesome'.

Sue C
12-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Kendra have you gone to a chiropractor? I had this worse than ususal a few months back (my meds make me very off balance along with my feet and leg nerve pain.) and when I went to the chiropractor I mentioned it to him. Here I had something with my neck that affected my equilibrium. Who would have thought. I was a lot less dizzy after he adjusted my neck. Worth a check if you haven't done that already.

Kendra AU
12-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Sue, wow.. okay very interesting.

I saw a naturopath a few months ago for my migraines. I was unimpressed with her help to be 100% honest. She was more intent that I should cleanse my liver, but in order to do so I had to eat foods that were migraine triggers for me. I was in BAD, BAD shape within 2 weeks. I stopped and the migraines went away again.

BUT, she said I should see a chiropractor too, I just haven't taken the time to do so. I do have a crick in my neck quite often which makes me wonder about this theory. I might check with the gals in the Health Food shop and ask them if they could recommend one.

I will say that I do see a Bowen therapist, all though I haven't seen her in a few months. I should go back in, my hips aren't right and my knee issue is uncool. I was actually about to start a new thread on that whole issue. :eyes: :lol:

Michelle B.
12-07-2010, 09:22 PM
My ears do that due to allergies BUT what I was going to tell you when I saw your thread title was about when I was preg. I was SO DIZZY- went to the dr. and got meds for the dizziness. He told me that "You are going to think I'm crazy", but he said to very carefully follow the dizziness to reorient your brain (don't do it standing up, use caution and all that...). He gave me gobs of information from the Mayo Clinic about studies they were doing in treatment of dizziness. Anyway it seemed to work. He said that the normal reaction is to close your eyes until it passes.

Trudy
12-13-2010, 08:46 PM
I had this problem over the weekend. The thing that really has stumped the doctors that I have been to is that I get really hungry and I want to eat the whole time. My husband will make me fries because I can lay in bed and eat them. I am better now, at least I'm not dizzy, but I have a massive headache.

DD in IL
12-20-2010, 08:39 AM
allergy related inner ear thing here too....sometimes when I feel the room starting to spin a little for what ever reason an aspirin seems to head vertigo off at the pass for me...I don't know if it works by reducing the inflammation there, thins the blood and reduces the pressure or what.

Kendra AU
12-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Oh Trudy, please don't take this the wrong way but I couldn't help giggling! ESPECIALLY when you said fries. See, my mil has this hillarious story about how she and 2 friends went to get fish and chips. (chips being hot fries) While there 1 friend's eyes rolled back in her head and she nearly passed out, but rather then collapsing she started two fisting the chips into her mouth. The story goes, "It was as if she said, 'if i'm going to die, I'm going to eat all these chips first.'" As it turned out her friend have a sudden drop in her bp and was perfectly fine and tried to refuse to go to hospital, but the story itself just kills me.

As for all the allergy related ideas I'm all most convinced that's my issue. I've had severe allergies since I was a child. The 3 years I did attend school before being homeschooled my teachers had to administer my allergy medication at lunch time or I'd go home with my eyes nearly swollen shut and severe headaches and so on. I've lived half my life stuffed up even on medication and my dr strongly suspect my migraines were caused by the allergies. Once I was diagnosed with migraines they were called sinus'something or other'

All that to say I'm getting mega allergy testing in the new year. So it'll be interesting to see if it all clears up. I just find it funny that it's also on the same side I tend to sleep on, which is also the same side my TMJ AHCES on, which is also the same side I have hip issues on, which is also the same side I have the bum knee on. Apparently my left side isn't as pleased with me as my right side. :lol: