PDA

View Full Version : not wanting to over do

Sue C
12-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Now that it is Christmas season, my first with being so 'not great' physically, I wanted to ask all of you about my plan. I have always taken it a bit easy at holiday time because of my one with Asperger Syndrome. Now, on top of that I find myself exhausted and in pain most nights. I decided to try and get through the holidays and still leave my kids good memories that something would have to give. :lol: I am only doing Bible and math just through the holidays. :eek: Am I horrible or is this ok? I want to be able to bake some cookies with them and do some crafts. I don't want to be so worn out every day that we can't do fun stuff. Do any of you do this?

Kendra AU
12-08-2010, 05:57 AM
You know, normally all we do during the holidays is crafts (one a day) and nothing else.. We might read a book to each other, but that's it. This year, we decided to do a Christmas study.

It was meant to last 4 weeks, but we were feeling really burnt out and ready for our end of year break.. So, we finished it in two weeks and are looking forward to a luxurious break of doing just math and reading. (We do an Advent devotional each day, so that covers our Bible..)

Don't beat yourself up. Do what you need to and leave the rest. :D Until a couple of years ago we simply enjoyed whatever festivities were available.. as in.. rented a few movies, went to the parade(s), and set up decorations. We do a bit more now.. sometimes. ;)

Robin H in VA
12-08-2010, 10:43 AM
This year was suppose to be different for us, we were actually suppose to school through the holiday (up until a few days before Christmas) but like you I am too tired to do the regular school schedule and try to bake and shop.

Ds doesn't do crafts (unless it is something like my diaper cakes) so the craft thing is always out. I am trying to get him to learn some new crafts along with me, but he says their too girly. :unsure:

I do try to get him to do a little phonics and math, but also he is AS so messing up a schedule is never good.

I think that it is probably better all around though to back off of regular schedule and try to make things more memorable.

Sue C
12-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Thanks ladies! Are we the only ones? I noticed 66 people have looked at this thread and only you 2 spoke up. :lol: Are we the only lax ones do you think? Anyway, thanks for piping up and being brave. :lol: :group: to both of you. :)

Tricia O
12-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Well, we had intentions to school until December 17, but after all that has been going on, just decided to take off from Thanksgiving to New Years like we usually do. They have done a couple of math lessons since then and some Advent studies, although we are already behind. :eyes:
Just wanted to reassure you that you weren't the only slacker out there! :kiss:

Alicia
12-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Sue ~
I ALWAYS took off the entire month of December when my dc were younger, and especially when they were the ages of your dc. Taking off the month of December for me meant not doing our regular subjects, and making the month different and special. What we did do was Christmas copywork, memorized Christmas poems, memorized Christmas scripture, Christmas crafts, made cookies, and did various Christmas Advent studies, etc. It is perfectly fine for you to take off December and make memories with your dc. :)

Lindsey Carter
12-09-2010, 02:40 PM
One thing I've been doing this month to add in some school hours while I am busy is to listen to books on CD, classical music, and watch educational videos. Lately we've had a lot of days where that is about all we get to. I plan to make up for it over the summer or add in a little extra school work after December.

Sue C
12-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Just wanted to reassure you that you weren't the only slacker out there! :kiss:

:clap: Thanks Tricia. I laughed when I read your line. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

AmyinWI
12-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Hi Sue!!! Just wanted to say that we do very little during the month of December (and sometimes November!) except Bible reading, Christmas /advent activities, baking and crafts. My older ones keep up on math and science because they don't want to do it all summer(but they are independant)
You are doing a great job! :kiss:

Dawn IN
12-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Many may have viewed, but come on...responding takes thought and energy. **Yawn** :yawn: :wornout: Do you see what Forum you are in?? :lol:

Slacker is a negative word. Let's go with being a good Mom. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. (A lesson I keep telling myself) Do what you can do, rest when you need to, love your darlings and make memories. Everything else is details. They'll still be there :) (just like the dust and laundry and...) Life is a journey...enjoy it!!

Merrilee Morse
12-14-2010, 01:59 PM
I don't exactly take December off, but our schooling definitely gets relaxed; little or no math, Latin, you know, the heavy stuff. I would never be able to keep the house clean or prepare food for parties or get my cards off in the mail or anything the holiday season entails and do a full schedule of school to boot.