PDA

View Full Version : Success Dying Wool?

Chris D.
12-08-2010, 05:22 PM
I went to a yarn store today and got some wool. They gave me a little piece of raw wool (not carded yet... even still has some dirt in it :lol: A piece of roving (carded, ready to spin wool), and then I bought a skein of undyed bleached wool yarn. I want to dye the skein with my daughter and then knit it into a doll blanket or something for her. The woman at the yarn store said canned berries work best, and I read in the archives that vinegar works for setting the dye, but I was wondering if anyone had any other advice on what works and what doesn't? I bought a can of cherries and a can of blueberries. I was hoping to dye one end of the skein with one and one with the other so they blend in the middle and make stripes when I knit the yarn up. Any advice?

Christi in VA
12-09-2010, 04:14 PM
We didn' t have wool to dye (A New Coat for Anna this week). We just dyed cotton balls :roflol:
I boiled some raspberries that I had in the freezer. I have no idea about the vinegar...but ours worked ok just for the concept. It didn't come out a deep red or anything. But we did do one earlier and then boiled longer and dyed again and could see the difference and all were happy with that. :)

Kendra AU
12-09-2010, 04:17 PM
We had the homeschool group over for wool dying. We let them card wool and then their small bit of carded wool was washed. Then we used food coloring to dye it with. Just a few drops on it, place it on papertowel or plastic wrap and pop it in the microwave for just a few seconds. Massage it through and walla. :D Simple as..

You can also use things like Kool-Aid to do it, but we don't have that here. ;) And of course, more natural ways too..

Chris D.
12-10-2010, 08:10 AM
The woman at the yarn store did tell me Kool Aid was a popular way for parents and kids to dye yarn, but I figured if we were going to take the time to dye something I may as well do it the more traditional way and make something from it. But I'm a knitter anyway... trust me, other topics I'd go a lot more simple! Trying it today. Found some directions online so we'll see what happens.....

Kendra AU
12-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Chris, after we dyed them with food coloring we let the children spin them and then weave them. ;)

Dawn Gilmore
12-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Chris, are you on ravelry? There's a whole group there for Koolaid Yarn dyers... and the stuff is gorgeous... It's called "what a Kool way to dye"

I did a little experimenting with the Kool Aid dyeing a few years ago, but can't find any pictures of the yarn I ended up with.

Chris D.
12-10-2010, 05:29 PM
My little one is only four so for weaving we did a yogurt cup with slots cut in and wove yarn on that. I don't think she's really ready for weaving on a loom yet.
I am on Ravelry. The dying process was kind of hit or miss today... we ran into a few little problems, had some good laughs but ended up with the expected results so we're good :) I thought the berries would be more authentic to the story and history than the Kool Aid, but if we ever do it again I'm thinking Kool Aid! In the future I think I'll continue to just buy the color of yarn I like at the store, though!

Dawn Gilmore
12-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Oh, I'm sure the berries were far more authentic, but I wanted to encourage you to try the Kool Aid method sometime... it sounds bizarre, but the results can be stunning! (I'll keep looking for pictures of the yarn I dyed with Kool Aid.) And, the kitchen smells really good while you are doing the dyeing! :lol: I'd love to experiment with plant dyes at some point, but life is just too busy right now.

I pretty much continue to buy yarn in the colors I want, as well!

Chris D.
12-10-2010, 10:07 PM
I looked at those yarns on Ravelry. What pretty colors! The berry dye was definately much more muted. I don't know how to post photos on here or I would.

Dawn Gilmore
12-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Found it!

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/dawnlist/Yarn/IMG_1927.jpg

I was just amazed that you could get such gorgeous colors from Kool Aid, of all things.

Susie in MS
12-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Found it!

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/dawnlist/Yarn/IMG_1927.jpg

I was just amazed that you could get such gorgeous colors from Kool Aid, of all things.

Really, REALLY Kool!! :)
I have some left over wool yarn from when I was learning to knit diaper longies. I want dye it when we re-row New Coat for Anna.

Chris D.
12-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Those ARE pretty colors! Is it washable or does the color run? I'm not really a fan of wool for knitting but might try that sometime with cotton, since I like the texture better and it's more practicle in my mind for kids' clothing.

JessD
12-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Really, REALLY Kool!! :)
I have some left over wool yarn from when I was learning to knit diaper longies. I want dye it when we re-row New Coat for Anna.

OOOOH.... do you knit and sell? I want some longies for baby girl, but can't knit! I usually just up-cycle wool sweaters.

MichelleO
12-21-2010, 02:16 AM
We dyed wool yarn many times with great success with Kool Aid.

I use 100% wool (Cascade 220 yarn or similar) and soak it overnight in a crockpot with 1/2 cup of vinegar.

Change the water, put the wet yarn back in and add more vinegar. Turn it on high for about 2 hours or until steaming.

In small cups mix 2 packets of any color Kool Aid you like to 2-3 oz. of water and pour slowly just above the surface of the water. Don't agitate it though, especially if you are using more than one color of Kool Aid.

Put the lid back on and wait about 45 min. to an hour. The yarn will have "exhausted" the Kool Aid dye and the water will be clear. Drain carefully, and rinse in cool water and let dry.

We did this for two FIAR books, The Rag Coat and A New Coat For Anna. Here is my blog post for some photos: http://meandmygirlproductions.blogspot.com/2009/11/rag-coat.html

Chris D.
12-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Michelle, I think you and I would get along very well, since I see two different crafts being done for one book on your site. Crafy mamas unite!

KimMC
12-29-2010, 12:26 AM
I did a video on dying wool with kool aid last year. It's so easy! Its on my blog if it helps.
How to dye wool (http://www.homestead-acres.com/blog/homesteading/homestead-series-how-to-dye-wool-yarn-with-kool-aid/)