PDA

View Full Version : Notebooking ??

Mi-chelle
04-23-2007, 11:00 PM
I'm sorry if this question has already been asked. I've really tried to keep up with the threads about this, but I'm still wondering...

Where do you come up with all your ideas??

I like the pre made things but I can see that getting pricey & I want ours to be our own. Are there just certain activities that tend to be better for notebooking? Where do I go to look for those types of activities. I've found lots of sites on folds but where do you come up with info & activities to put into the folds?
Thank for your help,

Sheri
04-23-2007, 11:47 PM
We are always on quite a budget so the notebooks, lapbooks, etc. are seldom actually in our budget. I just use my imgination and look for things that will work well on the internet (if I am not feeling particularly creative).

For example when we rowed Madeline I printed out photos of architecture in France (Arc (sp) de Trimomphe, Eiffel Tower, Louvre, etc), created a small sheet of "doubles" addition (Because the 12 little girls stand in two straight lines), talked about the food pyramid and we Gav drew his own. We also talked about primary colors (although we didn't put that in our notebook, but could have easily been in there!). We also always try to include a map of the country covered and a flag of that country. We always like to cover some form of creative writing, and many times the pages include a creative writing assignment.

I like to go online and look for minibooks. I think they are fun for the little ones, if I can find them free I'll include them.

You can see on my blog the things we are covering, maybe it will give you an idea of how someone does it without the aid of buying a premade lapbook. I have to tell you though, I often write my own curriculum and for my daughters first semester of Kindergarten I wrote EVERYTHING because her curriculum order got lost, I guess I am just wired that way, so my brain automatically looks for lessons.

(Editing to say: Like Lori, the manual is my definite jumping off point!)

Lori D
04-24-2007, 12:56 AM
mmmm

Jen in SC
04-24-2007, 08:29 AM
I copy other people. ;)

I noticed Sheri had her son trace the title of one of the stories. So we have done that, plus some Bible verses relevant to the story.

Flags and maps are great.

If you take photos of anything you do that week relating to the book, that would be good! (like when we made igloos for VLFT)

Samples of the art techniques would be good.

Science - a few facts about the animal or plant you are learning would be good in some of those mini books. Pictures of the life cycle. Etc.

Language arts - lists, a sentence or two with a particular technique like alliteration or onomatopoeia could be put in the notebook. Vocabulary words could go on some kind of flipbook.

Keep looking at other people's ideas. :) I haven't used anything pre-made yet. I am not opposed to it, but I had certain books scheduled and they haven't been books with fold-n-learns or lapbooks so far.

MichelleL in Tn
04-24-2007, 01:37 PM
Well we have actually done lapbooking-but it is similar-I just put our stuff in one lapbook instead of a notebook.
We may use a notebook next year and just make a title page for each unit then put all our work for that book we are rowing behind that page. I have not decided for sure-if we will do that-or continue what we are doing or change to something like Sheri is doing....

I have never done a fold and learn....I just print off a few things that relate to what we are doing. I do some enchanted learning pages, and just include some of our work through the week. I use alot of resources I have around the house..

These are my favorite things to use:

I love my Missionary Coloring Book for country studies-when we row a book like madeline-I use the France page.
It has a outline map of France, the flag, A child in Native Costume and John 3:16 in the French Language. (They have a page for most countries.)

I love Rod and Staff's USA coloring Book for States (Books that we row that are located in a state.) It has an outline map, shows symbols like agriculture and other industries in the state, usually has the motto, state flower, bird, animal etc.

These are very inexpensive and I just reproduce them as needed. (I put them in a 3 ring binder-for easy access.)

I really like the book review forms that pizza hut's book it program has-we usually do one for each book we row...
Also ds has to record his own reading logs...
http://www.bookitprogram.com/teachers/reproducibles.asp

I love the animal science report forms-where you cut and paste the animal into the picture and then write a few things about them.. There are all kinds of forms like this: Some for Planets, Bible Characters, Inventors, Explorers, other important people, etc.

Here are some of the sites-not sure where each form is-but you will find them if you sift through....I hard copied the ones I wanted and put them into my planning notebook-so I can just copy them as needed.

http://www.notebooking.org/

http://donnayoung.org/index.htm

http://www.oklahomahomeschool.com/

HTH

Christie
04-24-2007, 02:31 PM
This is kind of a minor question related to notebooking/lapbooking ...:lol:

What kind of glue do you use? :unsure:

We used glue sticks but things didn't stay "stuck," and now I'm trying a liquid glue that says its for scrapbooks, but its so "liquid-y" that the item we're gluing down gets all wrinkled like using the standard white glue. I know DD could use less glue, but even when I've used this liquid scrapbook glue for my own projects I didn't like it because it makes the page have that telltale glue imprint.

Suz MamaFrog
04-24-2007, 02:48 PM
We use a glue stick from the scrapbooking store. It's for photos, so it's not real "wet" but is very "sticky."

HTH!
Suz

Christie
04-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Thanks ... I'll look for that kind of gluestick!

violettafrancesca
04-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Hi,
I have my son do a notebook as it keeps his work and gives him a sense of accomplishment looking over past work. Usually only 4 items added a week. For instance this week , in addy to FIAR, we are watching caterpillars transform to butterflys so he drew a pic and I wrote what he narrated about it, science section. His Bible verse goes in there once he's memorized it. I write it out in big black letters on cardstock and he draws a picture to go with it. This week also a drawing of shapes for his math section. It's a way for him to practice writing very simply. I don't invest a lot of time or any money. It's all what he writes or draws. Even if we do a field trip he often chooses to do a picture about it or there have even been educational TV shows documented there. :) For us maybe 2 entries from FIAR and usually 2 from another source. Real casual about it and it's filling up.

Mi-chelle
04-24-2007, 06:32 PM
I think I just got cought up in the whole "you're not a good homeschooler if you don't spend a fortune" mindset for a few days.
Lori that's what we have done this year. But, I'm just not happy with the final product. Ours feels jumbled & not something he would want to go back & look at later.
Sheri I looked at the pictures on your bolg & found out that I do very similar activities already. Now that I've seen them layed out I don't feel as overwhemed.
Michelle, thanks for the links.
This is really begining to look like something we could do.
Thanks again for the help,

Heather W
04-25-2007, 03:46 PM
You can see on my blog the things we are covering, maybe it will give you an idea of how someone does it without the aid of buying a premade lapbook. I have to tell you though, I often write my own curriculum and for my daughters first semester of Kindergarten I wrote EVERYTHING because her curriculum order got lost, I guess I am just wired that way, so my brain automatically looks for lessons.

(Editing to say: Like Lori, the manual is my definite jumping off point!)

So, Sheri...tell me about what curriculum you write! I do a bit of this myself, but I find it interesting to hear about. You seem to have a pretty clear vision of what you want and you stick with it.

Care to share?!:)

Sheri
04-25-2007, 04:04 PM
If I could tell you I would! I just think it's easier when we go off on a tangent to write my own curriculum. I just research and make notes and go from there. It's much cheaper and I can tailor the lessons to our learning styles more easily.

Heather W
04-25-2007, 04:10 PM
If I could tell you I would! I just think it's easier when we go off on a tangent to write my own curriculum. I just research and make notes and go from there. It's much cheaper and I can tailor the lessons to our learning styles more easily.

So, then it's more of a unit study type deal? What areas do you write for? Or is it just for when your kids want to know more about a certain thing that you get creative?

Just wondering with the other thread on how much we all spend on curriculum. We are about to invest in next year's stuff and it makes me think of how things like lapbook materials that are premade are so tempting.

Or maybe it's that I think that stuff I can buy (like a unit study on a particular topic) will be better than what I can come up with on my own. Funny too when you consider that my masters degree is in curriculum and instruction! Writing curriculum is what I do! And I've done it for other homeschoolers here and there.

Yet, there is something so fun about purchasing something premade!

Sheri
04-25-2007, 04:38 PM
Yes, Unit studies and/or book studies. Four years ago my husband handed me a National Geographic on the anniversary of the peak of Mt. Everest being reached and basically said "Teach the kids about this". I had a few weeks before the actual anniversary (May 29) and in that time wrote a song, and created an entire study of Tenzing Norgay (the Sherpa) and Sir Edmund Hillary and the Mountain itself. To this day the kids can quote almost any random fact about Mt. Everest.

It IS something I like to do, but it's also been a financial necessity for me to continue to create our own curriculum as we go along.

karendg
04-25-2007, 04:51 PM
This is kind of a minor question related to notebooking/lapbooking ...:lol:

What kind of glue do you use? :unsure:

I believe that Tammy Duby (of Tobin's Lab that has written books on lapbooking) recommends using spray adhesive. I've never used that. I use a high quality glue stick like I use for stamping and just burnish it really well with a bone folder.

HTH

Sheri
04-25-2007, 06:11 PM
I believe that Tammy Duby (of Tobin's Lab that has written books on lapbooking) recommends using spray adhesive. I've never used that. I use a high quality glue stick like I use for stamping and just burnish it really well with a bone folder.

HTH

We use Spray Adhesive and glue sticks. Depending on what we are gluing and WHO is doing the gluing!