PDA

View Full Version : Brain Fog

Lynn,NC
12-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Not recommending that anyone go out and start on this without doctor supervisoin, but my doctor put me on choline citrate for brain fog. I'm out right now and I so did not realize how much it helped until I ran out. Well, I did realize, but let's just say that absence makes the heart grow fonder. :lol:

Exercise also seems to help my brain fog. A nice brisk walk outside.

Any other things that help the brain fog that accompanies so many chronic illnesses?

Loralin
12-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Is that a prescription medicine? My sister is on something, but I can't remember what it is! :lol:

Lynn,NC
12-16-2010, 02:42 PM
It's not prescription, but my doctor has her own vitamin pharmacy (I guess that's the right wording), so she makes and sells her own choline citrate. Well, I guess the pharmacy makes it. :lol: She's busy seeing patients, but she is brilliant with her supplements and such. I think you can buy it in other places like Whole Foods, etc. I read a little bit about it after she prescribed it for me. I feel so much better taking it. Her supplements always seem superior to me compared to those I buy at other places.

Here's her link, if you want to see what I buy. (I don't have any personal interest in her business and make nothing from sharing the link--just wanted to show you what I take).

http://www.bevkovitamins.com/products/details/35/5/cardivascular-health/choline-citrate-tablets?keyword=choline+citrate

Rachel Jane
12-16-2010, 02:45 PM
My dr put me on prescription strength fish oils to help with brain fog. :yes: exercise does help.

LeanneNZ
12-26-2010, 01:47 PM
Thanks for heads up - brain fog is a cruel side effect for dd at an age when study is the norm.
Thanks
Love Leanne

DebB
01-18-2011, 12:30 PM
I struggle with this due to my thyroid disease...

Gwen in Texas
01-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Jumping in here with some cognitive therapy thoughts:

The brisk walk probably helps not only for the exercise factor, but because it involves cross body movement. It actually helps both sides of your brain work better together.

Another great thing to do is rhythmic writing, especially if you have a chalkboard handy. Here's a link to video demos (http://www.vcs.net/quicklinks/discovery-center/videos/index.aspx). The "eights" are a great place to start. The key is to center yourself so that your chalk crosses your body's midline as you write. Again, helps both sides of brain work together...a good thing!

BTW, I'm not affiliated with the school that hosts the videos; they are just really good online demos.

Valerina
01-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Gwen, that is so interesting. It sounds kind of like the Diane Craft stuff I've been reading about. I couldn't find anyplace where they explained what they were doing and why it helps - did I miss that?

Thanks!

Shelly in MN
01-18-2011, 01:54 PM
"Brain Fog" is a perfect description for some of the ADHD symptoms I wrestle against.

One of the first books I read about adult ADHD is called Out of the Fog, and it was like reading my life story in many places.

Valerina, I didn't look at all of the videos Gwen posted, but the one I watched is very similar to the exercises Dianne Craft recommended to us when we had an evaluation with her some years ago. (Unfortunately, they didn't help our son. :unsure:)

Gwen in Texas
01-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Valerina, I didn't look at all of the videos Gwen posted, but the one I watched is very similar to the exercises Dianne Craft recommended to us when we had an evaluation with her some years ago. (Unfortunately, they didn't help our son. :unsure:)

I'm not familiar with Dianne Craft's methods and I'm sorry they didn't help your son, Shelly. :group: I will gladly erase my post if it makes you uncomfortable.

Shelly in MN
01-19-2011, 10:06 PM
I'm not familiar with Dianne Craft's methods and I'm sorry they didn't help your son, Shelly. :group: I will gladly erase my post if it makes you uncomfortable.

Please don't erase it, I certainly wasn't wanting that!:eek:

Gwen, I know there are folks who have had real progress and success with her therapies. I would have loved for that to be our story, but despite following the daily routine per her specifications religiously on a daily basis for many months, there was no discernable improvement. It was just so very, very disappointing spending money that we didn't have and precious time on an evaluation after hearing glowing reports and success stories, you know?

I guess that we were a case in point that a specific something will not work for everybody?

But, having said that, I know that just because something didn't work for us doesn't make it wrong for everybody. :) If it helps, fantastic! :)