PDA

View Full Version : Starting the Morning

Lynn,NC
12-17-2010, 10:25 AM
One of the hardest things about illness is that it can make thinking muddy, which leads to forgetting to take supplements and do the right things, which leads to feeling worse. :lol:

Lately I have enjoyed my cup (or two) of organic coffee in the mornings, and then I eat oatmeal for breakfast. I've read that coffee is one of the most heavily sprayed crops out there, so if you must have coffee, only drink organic. Trader Joe's has a good price.

Daily oatmeal offers:

B vitamins
low fat
helps reduce bad cholesterol
protein
complex carbohydrates
iron
may help lower high blood pressure and reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes

I eat mine with rice or coconut milk, brown sugar and cinnamon.

When I'm done and put my bowl in the sink, I go ahead and fill up my quart of water so that I remember to stay hydrated. I also sit my supplements out so I'll take them all day.

Are you starting your day right? Let's help each other.

Lynn

Merrilee Morse
12-18-2010, 12:40 PM
I have two pills I must take on an empty stomach, so I start right out with pills and plenty of water, then I go have my quiet time til it is time to eat breakfast. Starts my day out right! Then I exercise and shower and jump into my day. I never considered organic coffee; I will have to look into that. My standard breakfast is an Indian samosa and a half a banana.

Lynn,NC
12-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Merrilee, I need to follow your example and exercise every morning too. I keep thinking every day that I'll get to it, and I don't. I used to walk every day and I felt so much better!

Lynn

Kendra AU
12-20-2010, 06:00 AM
I roll out of bed and into my special hideously tight leggins that keep my hip in place so I can go for my daily walk. Without it I'm muddle headed and my knee and hip ache like crazy.

BUT, I had to say Lynn your coffee comment made me roll with laughter. You see.. I'm NOT a coffee drinker, but I keep some in the house because my inlaws are all drinkers of it.

They actually prefer tea to be honest, but each of them likes the occasional coffee. My first bottle of coffee here was purchased when we moved into our first home and.. um.. well, 3 years later my bil visited and kindly asked if while I was in town if I could drop him at the supermarket to pick up "something". Turned out to be coffee cause mine was stale. :lol:

Funnier yet, I ran out of tea and after a quick thumb wrestling match my mil lost to her eldest son and had to have coffee. So I made her a mug full and she took one look at it and poured half of it down the drain claiming it was too strong! So, while laughing, i told her I was never ever sharing my coffee with her again. Only I was out.

So when I stocked up I picked up organic fair trade coffee (which I keep in the freezer except when someone wants some) and while standing in the checkout line I leaned over to dh and said, "I'm picking up coffee because your family is stopping in for lunch on Sunday. Everyone is welcome to some except your Mum!" The lady ahead of us in line turned the eyes of hate upon me and I swear if looks could kill I would have been stone cold dead right there.

When my inlaws came over the following day I told my mil the story and she laughed sooooooo hard she had tears streaming down her face. And, for the record I have shared the coffee with her since then. ;)

ETA: Ps, I LOVE oatmeal. I eat it ALL winter long, all though I'm suppose to have more protien with breakfast which is hard because I'm not a super duper huge fan of eggs and I can't eat TOO many or I get eczema. BUT, I love oatmeal with a pinch of stevia and a splash of maple syrup. :yum: Especially with nectarines in the spring/summer!

DD in IL
12-20-2010, 08:35 AM
Keep your "reserve" coffee in the freezer.

Lynn,NC
12-20-2010, 09:43 AM
So when I stocked up I picked up organic fair trade coffee (which I keep in the freezer except when someone wants some) and while standing in the checkout line I leaned over to dh and said, "I'm picking up coffee because your family is stopping in for lunch on Sunday. Everyone is welcome to some except your Mum!" The lady ahead of us in line turned the eyes of hate upon me and I swear if looks could kill I would have been stone cold dead right there.

Ohhhh, but she didn't know the whole story! :lol:

ETA: Ps, I LOVE oatmeal. I eat it ALL winter long, all though I'm suppose to have more protien with breakfast which is hard because I'm not a super duper huge fan of eggs and I can't eat TOO many or I get eczema. BUT, I love oatmeal with a pinch of stevia and a splash of maple syrup. :yum: Especially with nectarines in the spring/summer!

That sounds soooo good! I'm having my morning oatmeal right now.