PDA

View Full Version : Thyroid Problems

Kendra AU
12-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Are the symptoms of thyroid (especially the inability to handle cold) similar to anything else? I've been having issues for a while, but they are only doing a typical thyroid test each time I complain and it apparently comes back within enough of a range they aren't concerned about.

In the mean time I'm cold all the time. I spent most of last summer in jeans, and I can make the same complaint this year too except that my dh who is usually warm has been in jeans too so I'm not as stressed about that. :lol:

I'm also curious to know if one takes a natural help for it, are they forever stuck taking it? I was under the impression that if one took a synthetic help for it they were then forever stuck taking it. My Dad had major thyriod issues when my 7 year old was about 3 months old or so and it took them a while to regulate him.

I'm wondering if mine is more a borderline issue and thus something natural could/would help. More then anything I find the cold and hair loss issues insane. That and the extremely dry skin. BUT, dry skin isn't too new to me as I'm allergic to most lotions and soaps..

Anyway, anyone have any info??

Rachel Jane
12-23-2010, 07:12 AM
:unsure: same here
the 5htp didn't help with making you run a bit warmer? That was my first identifiable benefit of taking it. My fingers were no longer blue all of the time.

Kendra AU
12-23-2010, 02:58 PM
I still feel chilly, especially at night. Yesterday, for instance, I walked around in a thick pair of wool socks most of the day. Then by say 330 or so I stepped in someone's oatmeal, one of the only things the dog hates and won't lick up when spilled, and peeled them off but noticed I was warm.

After seeing Debbie's post about anaemia, it's making me wonder if the problem is really my iron levels again. I could make an appointment to get that tested. Hmm..

debbie in ak
12-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Kendra- I just read today somewhere (I will try to find the link if I can) that being cold all the time can be a sign of anemia!

I have really had a hard time regulating my body temperature lately. I am cold all the time! I know, I live in Alaska...you are probably thinking I should be cold all the time.:lol: But it is different....I can wear tons of layers this year and still I am cold. Didn't have this problem last year.

debbie in ak
12-23-2010, 09:41 PM
There is a statement in here (http://www.mamashealth.com/nutrition/anemia.asp) about feeling cold.

Kendra AU
12-26-2010, 04:10 AM
Thank you Debbie! I read your anaemia thread and it made me wonder, I'll have to read the article you linked to when I have a spare minute...

That's me too! I had to wear 3 layers of clothing most of the winter which is just normal for me. I'm use to these temps in the US and never had a problem before. All of a sudden I'm wearing 2-3 layers of socks and one of them is thick wool! I was wearing a skivvy, tshirt, and jumper for tops and was tempted oh so many times to put on a second layer of pants! :lol: My, scream himself because it's dropped below 50 (F) dh has been fine so I know it has to be me. Plus, when I touched the kids or him to hug them they've literally screamed from the coldness of my hands!

Christy in NE
12-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Are the symptoms of thyroid (especially the inability to handle cold) similar to anything else? I've been having issues for a while, but they are only doing a typical thyroid test each time I complain and it apparently comes back within enough of a range they aren't concerned about.

In the mean time I'm cold all the time. I spent most of last summer in jeans, and I can make the same complaint this year too except that my dh who is usually warm has been in jeans too so I'm not as stressed about that. :lol:

I'm also curious to know if one takes a natural help for it, are they forever stuck taking it? I was under the impression that if one took a synthetic help for it they were then forever stuck taking it. My Dad had major thyriod issues when my 7 year old was about 3 months old or so and it took them a while to regulate him.

I'm wondering if mine is more a borderline issue and thus something natural could/would help. More then anything I find the cold and hair loss issues insane. That and the extremely dry skin. BUT, dry skin isn't too new to me as I'm allergic to most lotions and soaps..

Anyway, anyone have any info??

Kendra, Negin has posted some very helpful info on Thyroid issues.

Off hand I know these are the main symptoms of Hypo-thyroid...

depression
being cold
dry skin
hair loss
weight gain/inability to lose weight
brain fog
anxiety
rashes
low libido

There is a lot of controversy(imagine that;)) about whether or not people have to stay on thyroid meds for life. Many "natural drs" will say that you can do x,y,x, to heal a low functioning Thyroid. The controversy exists regardless of whether you take a natural(armour, nature-throid, westhroid) or synthetic form of med.

Most drs do NOT even run a proper blood test. This is what you should ask for-

FREE T3
FREE T4
TSH
Thyroid antibodies

And, you want to aim for the mid-to upper range of each lab test.

Most endocrinologists(and regular drs) don't prescribe natural meds-only synthetic. This can be a problem if your body doesn't take the synthetic( strictly T4) and convert it to T3(which free floats to your cells/receptor cites).

Both dh and I take natural (Nature-throid) and Cytomel(synthetic T3) and this has finally seemed to get ours under control.

hth.:group:

WendyW
12-28-2010, 08:27 AM
I suggest you read the book "What your Dr. May Not Tell You About Premenopause". It talks about the balance between the levels of Estrogen and Progesterone. A Prog. deficiency can mimic or aggravate thyroid symptoms. IF a dr. thinks to check your hormone levels, the measurable amount could be "normal" but if the Estrogen is high, the "normal" Prog. will not be sufficient to balance it out.

Kendra AU
01-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Wendy I actually use a cream, Anna's Wild yam Cream, which is suppose to help with that kinda thing. I've been using it for just over three months now.

Unfortunately I have just about every symptom on Christy's list, but I am aware that many thyroid symptoms also mimic symptoms for other issues and each time my thyroid has been tested with a normal blood test the Dr's haven't been concerned to deal more with it.

I'm actually curious to know if thyroid issue can cause pregnancy issues.. Anyone know?

Christy in NE
01-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Wendy I actually use a cream, Anna's Wild yam Cream, which is suppose to help with that kinda thing. I've been using it for just over three months now.

Unfortunately I have just about every symptom on Christy's list, but I am aware that many thyroid symptoms also mimic symptoms for other issues and each time my thyroid has been tested with a normal blood test the Dr's haven't been concerned to deal more with it.

I'm actually curious to know if thyroid issue can cause pregnancy issues.. Anyone know?

Kendra,
Yes, I have read many times that Thyroid issues can cause infertility and miscarriages.
I'm so lame with posting links, but if you google STOP THE THYROID MADNESS, there is a ton of info and some awfully smart folks on a related forum to answer questions. Warning:they are pretty opinionated!;)

Bummer re your symptoms.:sad::group: