PDA

View Full Version : Anemia

debbie in ak
12-23-2010, 12:21 PM
I am not sure if I should post this question here or in the family room....please move it if need be.

Does anyone here deal with anemia? I have dealt with it on and off since I was a teen. I had debilitating/chronic anemia while pregnant. I just had blood work done and it showed that I am anemic again. It isn't too bad right now. Although I now realize that some weird symptoms that I have been experiencing might be related to it (breathing symptoms-anemia can make you feel like you aren't getting enough air and brain fog).

Anyways, I want to see if I can get back on track with diet instead of taking iron pills...has anyone ever done that? I can't stand taking the pills...they have other side effects.

I think my biggest challenge is that I am not fond of red meat.

Anyone ever dealt with this? Can it be totally controlled by diet?

Heather W
12-23-2010, 03:16 PM
I think it really depends on how bad your anemia is. If it's marginal, then I think it can be done with diet. If it's severe, I think you are going to need help.

The thing with anemia is your numbers can drop rapidly, but building it back up is hard work.

My anemia stemmed from chronic severe blood loss associated with my heavy (.) and ultimately it is the main reason I chose to have my hyst. It was too difficult and I didn't like the supplements either.

I have heard that cooking with cast iron is a bonus. Raisins have iron and there are lots of other foods too.

Is there a root cause for yours that can be treated also?

CJ
12-23-2010, 03:43 PM
I struggled with anemia in the mid and late 90's. I found that taking liquid iron and also taking Yellowdock (increases body's absorption of iron) helped. These were prescribed by my midwife and worked great to get me back on track. Vitamin C also helps you absorb iron.

The foods I ate most besides meat were:
broccoli
high iron cereals
dried dates
watermelon
raisins
pumpkin seeds

BethInOK
12-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Watching this thread with interest since that's something I've struggled with for years. I will say that I've found Slow FE to be a good iron supplement. It has a slow release, and I haven't had any problem with side effects with it.

Kendra AU
12-23-2010, 03:51 PM
I suffered with this so badly as a child I had to get the finger prick weekly for a long, long time and take an iron supplement.

When I was pregnant the first time they had to up my iron dose to double and eventually triple because of the problem. By the second pregnancy they had to start me on triple from the very beginning and eventually give me a slow release version that would work all day long.

I went through a phase where eating any form of meat just made me sick, but my iron levels dropped again and I had to go force myself to eat it.. much to my brother's relief. :lol: But then, all my anaemia, to my knowledge, has always been caused by low iron.

Unfortunately, I'm not keen on cooked spinach, but I do enjoy it raw. Broccoli, Black Strap Molasses, and red meat can all help with low iron.

debbie in ak
12-23-2010, 04:42 PM
I think it really depends on how bad your anemia is. If it's marginal, then I think it can be done with diet. If it's severe, I think you are going to need help.

The thing with anemia is your numbers can drop rapidly, but building it back up is hard work.

My anemia stemmed from chronic severe blood loss associated with my heavy (.) and ultimately it is the main reason I chose to have my hyst. It was too difficult and I didn't like the supplements either.

I have heard that cooking with cast iron is a bonus. Raisins have iron and there are lots of other foods too.

Is there a root cause for yours that can be treated also?

I don't know what the root cause is except that I really am not fond of red meat...it may be just the diet that I eat. I didn't realize that cooking with cast iron is a bonus.

debbie in ak
12-23-2010, 04:44 PM
I suffered with this so badly as a child I had to get the finger prick weekly for a long, long time and take an iron supplement.

When I was pregnant the first time they had to up my iron dose to double and eventually triple because of the problem. By the second pregnancy they had to start me on triple from the very beginning and eventually give me a slow release version that would work all day long.

I went through a phase where eating any form of meat just made me sick, but my iron levels dropped again and I had to go force myself to eat it.. much to my brother's relief. :lol: But then, all my anaemia, to my knowledge, has always been caused by low iron.

Unfortunately, I'm not keen on cooked spinach, but I do enjoy it raw. Broccoli, Black Strap Molasses, and red meat can all help with low iron.

Kendra- You sound like me...I was taking several doses a day of iron pills while I was pregnant. I felt so miserable...had no energy...could hardly get through the day.

Right now the deficiency is only slight, but I know I need to be careful to not let it get worse.

debbie in ak
12-23-2010, 04:45 PM
I struggled with anemia in the mid and late 90's. I found that taking liquid iron and also taking Yellowdock (increases body's absorption of iron) helped. These were prescribed by my midwife and worked great to get me back on track. Vitamin C also helps you absorb iron.

The foods I ate most besides meat were:
broccoli
high iron cereals
dried dates
watermelon
raisins
pumpkin seeds

I need to make a ton of broccoli salad...the one with the raisins in it!

Elizabeth in KY
12-23-2010, 09:53 PM
I was severely anemic during both of my pregnancies. The iron pill route didn't help much. I had better success with Floradix, liquid chloraphyll, and a blackstrap molasses/yellowdock syrup.

Kendra AU
12-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Oh Debbie! :lol: I thought the same thing about the broccoli salad because i can tell I'm low too due to feeling sleepy all the time. Even a simple walk makes me wanna curl up and nap again lately. I'm not normally like that. I've had huge black circles under my eyes from it. I swear I look like I have two black eyes!! Dh's been on vacation so I've been able to catch a few extra z's which has helped some, but.. Anyway I was like, "Dude I've gotta make that broccoli salad!" (except I can't do bacon in it cause that gives me instant migraines. Bummer)

I can also do watermelon. I live for watermelon. I mean really live for it. When I grow up I'm gonna own a watermelon farm so I can eat it ALL the time. :D I guess that means I have to move to Queensland, but oh well.

As for the red meat.. I'm with you, but my guys love the stuff and I found a great organic source for it so I have been purchasing more of it lately based on that fact (and the iron issue) as well. Are you up for chicken livers? I hear tell they are suppose to help too, but frankly I can barely stomach meat knowing where it came from much less it's insides.

Oh, and Silverbeet is suppose to be exceptional for it. We have lots of it around here but between me you and this message board I hate the stuff. It's too much like Spinach once it's cooked. Bless my mil, she grows it and wanted to give me gobs of it because she knew of my iron issues and I managed to just barely escape before she remembered I'd forgotten it. ;)

debbie in ak
12-23-2010, 10:26 PM
I was severely anemic during both of my pregnancies. The iron pill route didn't help much. I had better success with Floradix, liquid chloraphyll, and a blackstrap molasses/yellowdock syrup.

Someone on FB mentioned to me about Floradix and liquid chlorophyll. I am going to check into those....anything to avoid those pills. I have taken molasses before too.

debbie in ak
12-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Oh Debbie! :lol: I thought the same thing about the broccoli salad because i can tell I'm low too due to feeling sleepy all the time. Even a simple walk makes me wanna curl up and nap again lately. I'm not normally like that. I've had huge black circles under my eyes from it. I swear I look like I have two black eyes!! Dh's been on vacation so I've been able to catch a few extra z's which has helped some, but.. Anyway I was like, "Dude I've gotta make that broccoli salad!" (except I can't do bacon in it cause that gives me instant migraines. Bummer)

I can also do watermelon. I live for watermelon. I mean really live for it. When I grow up I'm gonna own a watermelon farm so I can eat it ALL the time. :D I guess that means I have to move to Queensland, but oh well.

As for the red meat.. I'm with you, but my guys love the stuff and I found a great organic source for it so I have been purchasing more of it lately based on that fact (and the iron issue) as well. Are you up for chicken livers? I hear tell they are suppose to help too, but frankly I can barely stomach meat knowing where it came from much less it's insides.

Oh, and Silverbeet is suppose to be exceptional for it. We have lots of it around here but between me you and this message board I hate the stuff. It's too much like Spinach once it's cooked. Bless my mil, she grows it and wanted to give me gobs of it because she knew of my iron issues and I managed to just barely escape before she remembered I'd forgotten it. ;)

Yes, the broccoli salad is the way to go!:D I put sunflower seeds in mine and lo and behold, they have iron, too!:clap: I normally don't put bacon in mine so I am sure it will be ok without it.

I can't stomach hardly any meats (this from the girl that comes from a cattle ranching family! LOL). The chicken livers don't sound appealing. I reallly think I am going to have to go the more vegetarian route for iron. I do eat red meat maybe once a month. I eat some chicken and fish.

Ok, I had to look up what silverbeet is (chard)...not real fond of it either. But I can stomach spinach especially in the raw form. So Kendra, even though you are low in iron we know what will make you run....silverbeet!:roflol:

Kendra AU
12-26-2010, 05:12 AM
:roflol: and Mushrooms. I've been known to run screaming from both. In fact, :blush: during Christmas dinner I flung my mushrooms onto dh's plate while he wasn't looking and he looks around and sees them and says, "What?! How on earth? Did you do this!?" :lol:

HeatherS
12-29-2010, 08:26 PM
I've dealt with anemia since I was a teenager. I took iron supplements for a while, but I really hated some of those intestinal side effects. A few years ago I started taking slow release iron, Slow FE or something like that. It doesn't "back me up" like regular iron!

Alice R
12-29-2010, 10:56 PM
I don't belong on this thread since I don't have anemia but :lol:

My acupuncturist thought that my (Chinese Medicine) blood looked low after the miscarriage.

She strongly recommended Floradix and I took for two months and felt much, much better. She did not like any of the pills etc. (In addtion to being an acupuncturist, she is a nurse practioner and getting her PhD in herbal medicine so I'm assuming she is not a fool. ) :lol:

Tips:
It expires 30 days after opening so don't buy a huge bottle.
MIX IT WITH WATER (or liquid). I didn't do that the first time and my stomach hurt for days. :eyes:

AmyinWI
12-29-2010, 11:37 PM
Alice- where can one find Floradix? Is it available somewhere like GNC?

I have struggled with anemia while pregnant and in the past few years for unknown reasons. I have been extremely fatigued for 3 years,and only found out I was anemic because I wanted to donate plasma and they said my blood count was too low. I went home, took iron supplements (which made me sick) for 4 weeks, went back to donate plasma and my numbers were even lower!!! :eek:

I've been trying to eat lots of spinach,and up my red meat intake,which I'm not terribly fond of ,either.
I try to remember to take my iron supps. wiht orange juice, that helps the iron to be absorbed. - oh and if you do take iron supps. ,dont' take it within a few hours of calcium/milk products they counteract each other.

Alice R
12-30-2010, 09:08 AM
Finding Flurodix was a trick. I looked high and low and no one carried it except Whole Foods. I called everywhere and no one knew what it was. Whole Foods was the only place here. I did not check Trader Joes. I tried Vitamin stores, health food stores, regular drug stores. :no: The name of it made people go "what???" :eek:

Amazon sells it.

If you have a Whole Foods, (I have a feeling many of the stores are set up similiar,) it was on the bottom, behind some other display and completely out of view. I was leaving and decided to ask, just in case, and there it was...I would've never found it on my own. I guess it is not their "showcase product". I went to a different Whole Foods and it was also on the bottom behind some display. So, if you go to Whole Foods, hunt around. :lol:

Alice R
12-30-2010, 09:10 AM
Adding:
Amy, I have gotten sick on every iron supplement also. I do NOT take medications well and have been known to get sick on tylenol. So, I was very wary of the acupuncturist's recommendation.

I felt fine, once I mixed it with A LOT of water (maybe 12 ounces or more). I also (for added protecton and because I'm paranoid about medicine) ate bread before. After a few weeks, I skipped the bread and I was fine. It did not make me even the slightest bit sick at all.

Maybe this Flurodix will be a help for you! I hope so!

Trudy
12-30-2010, 07:32 PM
In the past I have been borderline anemic so maybe that is my problem now. I seem to have all of the symptoms. :unsure:

debbie in ak
12-30-2010, 08:26 PM
I don't belong on this thread since I don't have anemia but :lol:

My acupuncturist thought that my (Chinese Medicine) blood looked low after the miscarriage.

She strongly recommended Floradix and I took for two months and felt much, much better. She did not like any of the pills etc. (In addtion to being an acupuncturist, she is a nurse practioner and getting her PhD in herbal medicine so I'm assuming she is not a fool. ) :lol:

Tips:
It expires 30 days after opening so don't buy a huge bottle.
MIX IT WITH WATER (or liquid). I didn't do that the first time and my stomach hurt for days. :eyes:

Thanks for all the tips!!!

Kendra AU
01-06-2011, 06:18 AM
Debbie, while looking something up I stumbled upon some information from a Naturopath that said that Low Iron symptoms are IDENTICAL to Low B12 symptoms! The way to tell the difference was to pull your eyelid back away from the eyeball, generally if you have low iron it won't be pink in the eye lid, but pale. Supposedly the gums can be that way too. Both of which are pink on me. :lol:

debbie in ak
01-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Debbie, while looking something up I stumbled upon some information from a Naturopath that said that Low Iron symptoms are IDENTICAL to Low B12 symptoms! The way to tell the difference was to pull your eyelid back away from the eyeball, generally if you have low iron it won't be pink in the eye lid, but pale. Supposedly the gums can be that way too. Both of which are pink on me. :lol:

Interesting! I never knew that!