PDA

View Full Version : Wow! Does sugar (and lack thereof) really make that big of a difference?

Julie Y
01-02-2011, 11:22 PM
I am trying to lose 40 lbs and have finally gotten serious about my eating choices. I'm trying to drastically reduce my sugar consumption. I had quite a wake-up call (http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=38695 12)when I started using the nutrition tracker (http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/nutrition.asp) on Sparkpeople and discovered just how much my frequent cups of hot tea with cream and sugar were adding to my daily total of calories.

Anyway, for the past two days, I have had no candy and only two cups of tea with sugar in the morning. I cannot believe how much more alert I have been in the afternoon and evenings! Yesterday I drove a solid 14 hours through snow, ice and lots and lots of rain and still felt fine when I pulled into a hotel at 11 pm. Usually I "check out" mentally by 8 and have to be in bed asleep by 10. Right now, it is nearly 9:30 and I feel fine.

Could cutting out sugar make that big of a difference that quickly? It's just so odd to think that I've been using the sugar/caffeine to "keep myself going" all day every day -- and I now suspect it's been dragging me down! :eek:

Alice R
01-02-2011, 11:43 PM
I think it makes me groggy and cloudy.

I feel great for about an hour and then for hours after a large sugar rush, I feel sleepy and groggy and lazy in my head, ya know?

I'm glad you are having success so fast! You're gonna be so much more motivated to loose weight when you FEEL better. :group:

rachelmn
01-03-2011, 12:10 AM
Yep...I think it could. I always understood it like this. Caffine and sugar are stimulants because your body wants to get ride of them. When you over load, your body can't keep up, gives up and it has the opposite affect. Kwim? (and someone tell me if I'm wrong! I just know someone told us that when we had our coffee shop because young people would come in and get 8 shoots of espresso and then be mad that they got tired instead of lively.)

CJ
01-03-2011, 08:06 PM
For me, it's a HUGE difference. I learned this fall that carbs (sugar, starches) were causing my horrible indigestion and acid reflux as well as my extreme sleepiness in the afternoons.

I now only eat about 80g of carbs a day and I can't believe how much better I feel. I lost 22lbs in 3 months just from doing that.

Mary FL
01-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Julie, have you tried PG Tips decaf tea? I made the switch this summer from regular PG Tips. I love them both! They're imported from England. I use lemon in my tea, iced or hot. No sugar.

The only time I put sugar and milk in my tea is if we're at a tearoom.

Anyways, I tried to do the herbal teas and it just wasn't working for me. Even some of the decaf teas made in America aren't full body like the PG Tips is. Another idea is Tetley. I just saw they have a decaf version too. I might try that...

You're doing great!

Merrilee Morse
01-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Finding out I was diabetic was a life changer for me in more ways than one. When I cut out the sugar, almost overnight the constant hot flashes associated with menopause came to a screeching halt. My acid reflux, which had been out of control and had me going through Costco sized bottles of Tums, also went away. I have more energy than I used to as well.

carolinaNJ
01-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Honestly, I think sugar is like poison in your system. Don't get me wrong, I use som, I mean, I'm human and American. But I am very aware of its effects, especially on children and ESPECIALLY on my little adhd guy. Bravo to you.

Julie Y
01-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Thanks, Mary, for the tip (ha ha) about PG. I've seen it in the store and will pick some up and try it.

It is Day 4 of no sugar and I still cannot get over the difference I feel. I am now beginning to suspect that my enormous procrastination problem was actually an enormous sugar problem, because I'm getting a lot more done than usual.

I'm a little bummed to have figured this out at age 50 :eyes:, but am glad that I can hopefully teach my kids to not fall into the same sugar habit.

I don't know if this is a "honeymoon phase" but at the moment I have NO desire for sugar or candy -- it seems like poison to me.

I am also going to cut out caffeine -- but I'm going to do it very gradually, to try to avoid the caffeine withdrawal headache.

Julie Y
01-04-2011, 11:56 AM
I don't know if this is a "honeymoon phase" but at the moment I have NO desire for sugar or candy -- it seems like poison to me.

Carol, I was typing this while you were posting, apparently :D. I totally agree with you!

Marcia
01-04-2011, 12:06 PM
A few years ago, I really started noticing how "yucky" I felt after eating sweets. My Mom told me this would happen one day. ;) I don't eat sweets very often, but when I do, I pay for it! :yes: I feel like I have a hang-over the next day.

Now, if I could just get off the diet coke! :perplex:

Mary FL
01-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Julie, on the one hand I'm grateful you started this thread. It's been an eye opener. On the other hand... :lol:

Let's just say I'm a procrastinator too. Near the 50 camp too. Peri-menopausal. Merrilee, you give me hope.

Thanks, ladies.

Marcee
01-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Yep! Sugar gets you all out of wack. I've really cut down on my sugar (I have a sweet tooth and LOVE soda) and my days are SO different. I've been up since 6:15 this morning and haven't been tired all day. Before, I could sleep 10 hours and still need a nap. Too much sugar can also cause problems with depression.

Heidi J
01-04-2011, 07:36 PM

Be careful not to eat any sugar. I went 6 weeks without sugar. I had no desire to eat it and then we had the Christmas party at church. Those little peppermint kisses were calling my name and after that I've had a difficult time cutting it out again. I do not eat the amount of sugar that I used to but right now I'm craving something sweet. :unsure:

Sally in Oz
01-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Be careful not to eat any sugar. I went 6 weeks without sugar. I had no desire to eat it and then we had the Christmas party at church. Those little peppermint kisses were calling my name and after that I've had a difficult time cutting it out again. I do not eat the amount of sugar that I used to but right now I'm craving something sweet. :unsure:

There are heaps of blogs around that talk about people giving up sugar; give alternate recipes etc. I can't think of one off the top of my head, but I am sure Kendra will know.

Also, from what I have read this is quite common. Before cutting sugar out of your diet your not really aware of how addictive it is or the effect it has on your body. However, after a period of fasting from it (or eating it in significantly reduced quantities) you can totally feel its effect when you splurge and the 'must eat it' pull increases.

Good on you for starting this new habit. It is on my one-day to-do list ;)

Kendra AU
01-04-2011, 10:06 PM
:clap: for you Julie! :D

When a person eats sugar they get an "awake" and "alert" feeling otherwise known as a sugar rush. It's coming off the sugar rush that's the real downside of things. Once you stop getting that momentary rush you crash worse then you would have if you hadn't indulged in the first place. My guess is, without meaning to, you gave yourselves some nifty little sugar rushes all day long and thus when you didn't have anymore you were having one major crash. ;)

Sally is right, lots of people seem to be giving up sugar for one reason or another. We gave it up a couple of years ago because I noticed our 7 year old, then 4 year old, was having rages that were onset by sugar. I'm talking full force scare the pants off you rages. Turns out, my sleepiness, grumpiness, and a handful of other problems were also caused by sugar. Neither of us can have any of it or we have issues.

My eldest will get whiny and really tired if he has it, but doesn't have many other side effect. I think for him it's just the "crash" after eating it. Either way, we've found alternative ways to sweeten our stuff that don't give off any of those terrible side effects. So for us, it was a matter of need. There's suspicion that my son and I could both have diabetic issues anywhere down the line. It wouldn't come as a huge surprise as diabetes runs in the family, but besides the obvious reasons for giving it up there's also the hope that avoiding might keep such an issue at bay. :D

When I have tea, which is REALLY rare because honestly I just don't care for the stuff, but there's this cranberry strawberry blend that's nice on a really cold day! Anyway.. when I have it I sweeten it with Stevia, but only a 100% pure brand of it that's made here in Australia (nirvana) and has no aftertaste what-so-ever. In fact, unless I confess to using it no one seems to notice.

All that aside, good for you on giving up!

Heidi, all our Christmas treats were without sugar this year! :D My boys were delighted to be able to indulge in them. ;)