PDA

View Full Version : I could use some encouragement

Merrilee Morse
01-05-2011, 01:31 PM
After all I said in the other thread about schooling kids not requiring 5-7 hours a day, I am feeling a lot of guilt right now. After two weeks off for vacation (during which time I felt fantastic, naturally!) I am having issues. I am in pain with my arthritis in my left hip, making it hard or impossible to work out as I would like, plus I just am having a hard time getting up in the morning or feeling I have gotten enough sleep. I threw school pretty much to the winds this morning; I didn't even wake the boys up til a quarter til ten, and just had them do some reading. I am feeling like a failure since it is only the third day of school since vacation ended and we have yet to have a full school day.

Lindsey Carter
01-05-2011, 02:57 PM
I think we all have days like that! I certainly do! We school pretty much year round, so that I don't feel guilty if we have to take a few days off. Also, I've been know to use educational DVD's and books on CD when I'm having a rough day and just try to manage to get through some math and reading. Plus with the ages of your boys maybe you could plan on your good days some independent work (like review or special projects) that they could do on their own on your bad days? I'll be praying that you feel better!

Kendra AU
01-05-2011, 05:06 PM
:group: You know, on days when I feel blah we do lots of reading, we watch some Magic School Bus (or anything else I can pass off as educational) and we call it school. It happens.

Personally, if the local kids can go to the movie theatre for school, if kids in CA can go to a same gender wedding, and if schools here and in the US can be shut down for the flu, then I can have a "blah" day or a "the teacher is sick" day without guilt.

With that said, I understand the guilt, but I wouldn't let it get you down too much. :group:

As for your hip pain, have you ever heard of Skins? They are a workout pant or better yet a compression pant. I come from a family with hip issues on BOTH sides. My grandma and her twin sister (dad's side) had hip replacements. My mother has mega hip issues (arthritis and other joint issues) My brother use to have his hip pop out of joint at the ripe old age of 2. For me, hip issues didn't start until I was in my 20's. My hip got to the point where just rolling over in the middle of the night would cause me to scream out, and once I stopped the screaming I was apparently pinching and pulling at dh in my sleep and the poor man had bruises up and down his arm from it.

I stopped running, which only helped some, but then learned about Skins. Wow. Really, between then and Bowen Therapy I haven't had hip issues in over a year. My inlwas go camping each year in the middle of no where and we are surrounded by nothing. We have a bunk house with the most ill mannered beds you've ever seen. We're taking slat bunks with the thinnest camping mattresses ever. Yeah, the first year there my hip was in so much agony after 2 nights I wanted to cry. The second year I'd all ready started Bowen and I had no pain. I was amazed. Third year I was still doing bowen and I had skins.

I wear my skins when I'm exercising because it keeps my hip in place and prevents the pain, thus when I'm done exercising and take them off. NO problems! It makes me super happy.. BUT, if I feel sore or really sore at night, I can also wear them to bed and wake up super refreshed in the morning. For instance, at camp I wear them to bed to assure no issues in the am. I'm also suffering with that silly knee issue, so if my knee is super sore or swollen I can wear them to bed and wake up and it'll back to "normal".

They aren't cheap, at least not here. I bought one pair of the leggins and I think they were 129. I'd love to own 2 leggins and 2 capris, but I guess I'll ahve to catch a mega sale for that to happen. ;)

Christy in NE
01-05-2011, 09:07 PM
:group: I'm sorry. :group:

I really understand. I give our dc options of things to do in the AM when I need to sleep. Many, many days we don't start school until around 11. The dc like to stay up with dh since many days that is their only time to be with him, so it's a win-win for me as they tend to sleep later.

I usually write out a schedule for them the night before-especially ds-i fill his first and second workboxes with independent work, and there are always chores to do from their daily list.

I'm with Kendra! We have all sorts of declaration days!:lol: School in our PJs days. Mental health days. (Okay that's not really funny at this time in my life-but it's true! and applies to the dc also!;)) Sick days. Teacher planning days. Snow Days. (we make doughnuts with dd in the lead and this takes most of the AM.) Extended holiday vacation.;);)....hint, hint....:group:

This week we are definitely on a half-school schedule. We are all sick, and I was sick prior to Christmas, so am behind on planning-thus the part time schedule.

Mornings are the worst time for me also due to my fibro and sleep issues. Unless we HAVE to be somewhere, I try, try to go with the flow. Now both dc will break rules and get on the tv-but usually one of them rats the other out and the consequence are nasty enough that it is happening less and less. Do they think I am stupid? I lean on the tv to see if it's warm-if so they are very much busted!:lol:;)

Seriously though, we've made it pretty clear to them that it is very sinful to take advantage of my weakness. I also extend them extra grace when they aren't feeling well.

Anyway. Be gentle on yourself. Maybe have a meeting with your guys and formulate a plan that you all agree on, but definitely drop the guilt.:group:

I pray you are feeling better.

Cindy in CA
01-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Sending hugs form S. CA! :group::group:
So many days are wasted when kids go to school. All will be fine. I pray you are feeling better Merrilee and that tomorrow is a better day for you!

:)

Sue C
01-05-2011, 09:44 PM
:group: I think all of us here understand. Please don't think you're a failure. You are doing a great job I'm sure. We all have our days when we are in so much pain that we're lucky to get out of bed. Your kids will turn out great because of your heart and soul that you put into them. If your like me.....it's a lot of heart and soul without any energy! :lol: :group: Tomorrow is a new day.

Christy in NE
01-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Thinking of you, Merrilee.:group::group:

Lynn,NC
01-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Merrilee, don't be too hard on yourself. I threw school to the wind today too. Last week went great, but then Friday I had a flu shot and have not feel that great since.

If it makes you feel any better, there was a threat of snow here today, and the public schools let out at 11:45. John said each class was only 30 minutes. If they can do it, I can too. :lol:

I hope you're feeling better soon. One day at a time...

Lynn

PS -- He only has four classes.

Michele
01-10-2011, 05:55 PM
:group: Agreeing with the others that there are many wasted days in school. Please be gentle to yourself. Some days are easier than others, some weeks are more productive than others...It's really okay. We school year round which alleviates my "Mama guilt" and gives us plenty of days when life...happens.
:group: and hope that this finds you feeling better. Day by day...

Merrilee Morse
01-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Schooling year round really isn't an option for us. I live in a condo complex surrounding by ps kids, and my boys would rebel for sure! I tried a couple of years, and found it impossible with our bell continually ringing. As for independent study, DJ is already doing that, but for Ryan and his Autism, having him work independently is harder. Thanks for your kind words. Today was better. I still forgot two subjects:lol:, but still, better.

Lisa in AL
01-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Merrilee,
:group:
My kids are having a slow day again today. The public schools are out here and have been all week due to ice/snow. So everyday my kids have had invitations to play dates at grandmas with p.s. cousins. I decided not to fight it and just picked a couple of things that they have to do before bedtime.
It will be okay. :group:

Chalane (FL)
01-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Schooling year round really isn't an option for us. I live in a condo complex surrounding by ps kids, and my boys would rebel for sure! I tried a couple of years, and found it impossible with our bell continually ringing. As for independent study, DJ is already doing that, but for Ryan and his Autism, having him work independently is harder. Thanks for your kind words. Today was better. I still forgot two subjects:lol:, but still, better.

I'm really not sure of the function level of Ryan, but I count lots of life skills for Leighton and Joey as school (he was in that class in ps and if they can count it so can I;) ), especially on my bad days. :group: You're doing great and they are learning!