PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Box

Ging
04-25-2007, 09:10 AM
My children enjoy unit studies, but they also have individual interests they want to explore. So, I invented [with the help of Rainbow Resource] the Adventure Box. I put together a group of resources for each child that can be used [for the most part] independently.
I'm decorating wooden crates to go with each child's theme.
Oldest Son - High Seas Adventure Box
Contents
Historic Sailing and Lighthouse coloring books from Dover
Galileo & Stargazers cd
Ships book by McCauley
Carry On Mr. Bowditch
The Mary Celeste
The Cay
Sailors & Whales - activity guide for 4th and up
Also including butcher paper for making maps, telescope, paints etc. and rope for practicing knots

Middle Son- Knights of Arkansas :roflol:
Three Musketeers CD
Castle Explorers cd rom
Knights & Damsels activity guide 4th and up
Castle coloring book Dover
Easy to Make castle I think by Dover
Making of a Knight book
Also including paper, material for costumes, foil, and best of all a big box for making a castle.Basic art supplies -always.

Youngest son
Giddy-Up box
Dollarville cdrom math
Cowboys and Cowgirls book
Cowboys book
Wild West days activity guide for lower ele.
Indian Village punch out from Dover
Indian coloring book dover
Regular art supplies and a new cowboy hat.
My thought is that during the summer, the older two can complete a page of math and then choose something to read from the box and a project to work. I hope this will further encourage The Joy of Learning. Also, I'll have enough FIAR books to last the fall semester.:clap:

Truth be known, I would love to make a box for myself!:D
Ging

Angela Paige
04-25-2007, 09:21 AM
what fun! This sounds like it might make a fun gift to put together for Christmas, too. My children would love Adventure Boxes!

thanks for sharing your idea :yes:

Paige

debbie in ak
04-25-2007, 10:02 AM
Oh, what a cool idea! I might have to put together something like this!:clap:

ami*
04-25-2007, 10:24 AM
Thanks for sharing, Ging...and thanks for starting a new thread (I would've forgot about looking in the other one).

This sounds great!

karendg
04-25-2007, 11:07 AM
This is a great idea! I am sure your boys will love it!

MichelleL in Tn
04-25-2007, 11:44 AM
Hey this sounds great..In fact the other day at Dollar Tree I picked up 2 cardboard boxes. One is a princess castle-the other a treasure box...
these will be perfect to make some adventure boxes.
I'll throw something together for summer fun.

thanks for the idea....

Paige P
04-25-2007, 01:19 PM
This does sound fantastic! It might help my chaotic days of moving in easier if the girls had something "school" to do that was their very own. Interesting. I'll have to see what I can scrounge up :) Thanks for a great idea :thumb:

ab.grace
04-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Thanks for sharing, it is a great idea.

AB

Karrie AK
04-25-2007, 02:16 PM
How old is your oldest son? I really like the box that you put together for all of them, but the first one is intriging to me. What is the sailers and whales activity?? Well now that I am rereading it, can you explain what each of them are in your first box. How exciting. I am excited. I love unit studies.

Karrie:clap:

Ging
04-25-2007, 03:57 PM
The activity book is Sailors, Whales, Fantastic Sea Voyages. It is recommended for grades 4-9. This book begins with info on the China Tea trade in the late 18th century and goes to the last whaler leaving new Bedford in 1924. The book includes terms, chores and info on daily life of different sea faring people. Many project ideas- scrimshaw, model lighthouse, painting china etc. Has photos and illustrations. Rainbow Resource # 019410 to see it
The book is just fine for a 10 year old to work through with minimal help.
Gallieo and the Stargazers is a Jim Weiss story telling cd. Rainbow Resource 0007503. I thought this would go along with the steering by the stars train of thought.
Carry on Mr. Bowditch is the true story of Nathaniel Bowditch. He worked out all sorts of navigational charts. [see, I wasn't homeschooled and just heard of him a few years ago :lol: ]
The Mary Celeste is a sea mystery. RR 000176
The Cay is a book about being shipwrecked and overcoming racial prejudices
Ship is a book by David McCauley half the book is about the excavation of a 16th century ship, the other half is about the building of a ship in 1504.
My oldest will also being creating and teaching a little unit of his own using ideas from FIAR vol. 4 Arabella and new things he learns and wants to share with us.I have some other books around the house that will also be in his box -The Book of Stars -Rey -you know the FIAR starbook:lol: , Seabird and Pagoo.I'm hoping to find other books and items second hand as I've already paid my Rainbow Resource dues for this summer :roflol:
Does anyone have any suggestions for this box or the others???
Ging

Ging
04-25-2007, 03:59 PM
Oh, forgot my oldest son is 10. Middle son is 7 and baby boy is 6. I haven't planned a box for girlie yet -probably the Frances books with some fun coloring sheets.
Ging

Vicki in MS
04-25-2007, 04:26 PM
Wow! What a great idea! I've copied off your post so that I can put together something similar for this summer. We might even incorporate it into our schooling permanently!

I saw those treasure boxes at Dollar Tree, figured I could use them for something and of course, left without buying one. Now I'll have to make a trip out there to see if there are any left...:blush:

Julie in AZ
04-25-2007, 06:44 PM
Love it! :clap: Thanks for sharing. :)

Katie
04-25-2007, 09:49 PM
:thumb: Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Heather W
04-25-2007, 10:14 PM
What a terrific, creative idea Ging!! I so enjoyed your excitement over what you have prepared for your kids this summer.

I will have to think about our own adventures this summer. If I can think of anything else for those boxes, I will let you know. Have you seen the klutz castle cards for building? That's one I can think of for your knight box.

Thanks for taking the time to share your ideas!:clap:

Ging
04-26-2007, 05:41 AM
Those do look neat, and I had forgotten about them. I saw them back when we were rowing Dutchess and couldn't purchase them at that time. Thanks for reminding me. Dutchess Bakes A Cake is what started this whole knight interest!
Ging

Debbie W
04-29-2007, 04:00 PM
I love this idea.I think I'm going to borrow it!:clap:

DD in IL
04-29-2007, 10:56 PM
Contenders of the Faith website has some kits where they can build ships or build a ship in a bottle.

JulieTX
04-30-2007, 01:05 PM
Great idea! Thanks for sharing. I school pretty much year around (with about a 5-6 week break during the summer. However we are at a transition point in some of our studies and I wanted to do something special for summer so this would be really fun. :clap: