PDA

View Full Version : The Spoon Theory

Jessica Vega
01-19-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm sure many of you have read this article (http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory-written-by-christine-miserandino/) but wanted to post for those who haven't heard of it before. It's a great article to share with family and friends who just don't understand.

Sheri
01-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Never read that before Jessica, I really like it.

I can see how it would relate to so many facets of life. Maybe that's just the depression talking,I can't remember having a day without constant knowledge that at any moment I might run into a trigger.

I tell Mike it's exhausting. Absolutely exhausting to have to push back all day long. When I lay down to go to sleep more often than not I cry myself to sleep because having made it through the day and fighting all day took all my strength,power,fortitude and wherewithal.

Anyway, I'm getting off track, thanks for sharing.

Shelly in MN
01-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Thank you so much, Jessica, I don't believe I've ever read this, either.

I just modified it for my own issues and the three of us have visited the silverware drawer for an object lesson. :group:

I think even I was surprised at how quickly my spoons were used up by lunchtime. I know DH and DS were.

Lisalyn
01-19-2011, 02:07 PM
I have no real reason to lurk around on this board, but I'm so glad I did today. I've never seen this site or heard of the spoon theory. I can't wait to share this with my friend who has JRA. She is 46 and has had both hips and knees replaced-both knees TWICE.

Thanks so much for posting this.

rachelmn
01-19-2011, 02:26 PM
That is awesome. Thanks Jess!

Jo in PRC
01-20-2011, 12:08 AM
This was a great illustration...thank you so much for sharing. :group:

Kayla M
01-20-2011, 12:26 AM
I'm so glad you posted this. That is exactly the way it feels to have lupus and I never would have come up with the words to describe it that way.

I have told my son before as he waited on me to get showered and dressed so we could go to Wal-Mart to get groceries that I needed to wash my hair but we also need groceries and I can't do both. So I either pull my dirty hair back in a clip and to Wal-Mart we go or I wash my hair and we stay home.

Thanks for sharing

Lisa in AL
01-20-2011, 07:31 AM
Thanks for posting, Jessica. I printed this and gave it to my husband. He said that is exactly how he feels.

Sue C
01-20-2011, 08:28 AM
:cry: :group: THANK YOU! This is perfect! I saved it to my computer and copied it. Bless you Jessica for sharing this. :group:

Christy in NE
01-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Yes,I've read it and I LOVE it.:clap:

I *think* the author of that also owns the website called butyoudon'tlooksick-

anyway, it holds so true for so many living daily with any chronic illness.

:group::group:

Oney
01-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Maybe that's just the depression talking,I can't remember having a day without constant knowledge that at any moment I might run into a trigger.

I tell Mike it's exhausting. Absolutely exhausting to have to push back all day long. When I lay down to go to sleep more often than not I cry myself to sleep because having made it through the day and fighting all day took all my strength,power,fortitude and wherewithal.

I get it Sheri. :group:

Jessica, this is a good piece to have handy. :)

Debbie W
01-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Yes,I've read it and I LOVE it.:clap:

I *think* the author of that also owns the website called butyoudon'tlooksick-

anyway, it holds so true for so many living daily with any chronic illness.

:group::group:

Perfect name for a website dealing with chronic illness. I am also tired of an illness that people act terrified about catching. As IF it is even contagious at all. I also get tired of pacing myself and making sure to not over do things because if I get over tired I run the risk of a flare up.

Cari
01-24-2011, 03:27 PM
When I first read the story, my initial reaction was to think what an excellent analogy for someone with a physical illness. I didn't initially connect with it personally.

But the more I thought about it, the more real it because. There are very real, tangible limits to what my mind (and body) can process in a day, and while probably more so that a person with a physical illness, I can borrow ahead for a while (sometimes even several days or week) at some point there aren't any spoons left to borrow.

I never really thought of it in that particular light but part of what my therapist has been trying to teach me is NOT to borrow spoons, and not to "waste" my spoons on things that don't really matter. When I'm in a manic phase I'm using spoons like there's no tomorrow, but of course there is and when I run out, I crash and bottom out.

I saw the other thread about husbands and I need to get mine to do some reading to, although I think he will have a harder time making the connection to an emotional illness.

Cari

Lynn,NC
01-24-2011, 05:30 PM
Wow.

Luisa
01-25-2011, 07:27 AM
Wow.

Exactly my thought!

Tricia in TX
01-25-2011, 07:18 PM
As someone who suffers from RA, and Sjögren's Syndrome, I can totally relate. That was really an amazing analogy. I'm going to save that to my computer.

I was just thinking last night as I lay in my bed, exhausted but unable to fall asleep because of the intense pain in my knees, that I really haven't had a day completely pain free since my early 20's. Don't get me wrong, I've had many good days, but never totally pain free. It made me wonder if I'll ever be pain free again this side of Heaven. :unsure:

KayH
01-25-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks for sharing that. Makes me think of a certain person I know with diabetes. Then, too, I know how it is from personal experience, since I suffer from chronic pain myself. And in our situation, hubby also suffers from chronic pain, so he already "gets it." :kiss:

Hayley M
02-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Thank you... I just posted that to my facebook page.

KristenS
02-17-2011, 09:42 AM
That is an AWESOME article and analogy ... if my printer were working better I'd probably print a copy for my therapist today. I bet some of his other patients would also find it helpful.

tracy
02-24-2011, 01:39 AM
wow.
My late step mom suffered with Lupus. Her case has been written in Boston Med Journals.
I wish this was written for me to read while she was still alive. I never quite understood how she felt and what she went through. Don't get me wrong, I was compassionate and never pushed her, but I didn't really understand. I wish she was alive so I could talk to her and give her a hug. :( She was an amazing woman. Like the author of the article, she joked a lot. She always found something to laugh about.