PDA

View Full Version : omega /fish oil?

AmyinWI
01-20-2011, 01:24 AM
a friend who is a therapist told me one of her clients has had success with giving fish oil to a child with add/ autism behavior problems.

I was wondering if anyone here has tried that, or knows of any information on this.

Lisalyn
01-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Amy,

My 9 yr old takes 3000 mg daily.

Eli takes 1000 mg, but really could use a higher dose. Since he has to have a gummie type supplement, it's a little expensive. When he starts swallowing pills his dose will go up. His psychologist told me that everyone should take fish oil.

I do see an improvement in focus when Eli takes his 'pills'. He gets a multi vitamin, the fish oil, and a vit c immunity blend.

Chalane (FL)
01-24-2011, 06:27 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but supposedly Kartner Health (think it can only be purchased online) has one specifically for autisic people.

AmyinWI
02-02-2011, 12:27 AM
I guess Gabe would only be able to take a liquid supplement (he can't chew anything, or swallow pills for that matter)

is there a certain brand that is better? I have no idea how readily available a liquid fish oil would be... I saw some on amazon.com, but it was pretty expensive.

Marie IN
02-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Amy,

If your child can't take pills ( my boys can't either) you may want to try Coromega Omega 3 squeeze packets. It'a kind of like a squeeze yogurt. It comes in a couple of flavors. You can take it as is or put it into a cold food like yogurt or a smoothie. You can find it at some health stores, but I bought it for cheaper at
http://www.vitacost.com/Coromega-Omega-3-Fish-Oil-Supplement

AmyinWI
02-05-2011, 11:58 PM
thanks Marie! and the cost isn't too outrageous.. would 90 packets be a 3 month supply, or do you give it more than once?
I was reading the description and noticed it says "no fish burps" acckk!! :eek:

Marie IN
02-06-2011, 03:09 PM
We're still trying it out, so just once a day. My friend's daughter is 2 1/2 and she gives half the packet. You could start with that.