PDA

View Full Version : Home from the doctor's office.

Esther-Alabama
01-20-2011, 06:11 PM
I don't have a chronic illness diagnosed, but I've been dealing with something and wanted to stop by and run a few things by y'all.

I had an appointment with a GYN today and it went really well. This GYN actually delivered my oldest ds and then stopped delivering babies shortly thereafter due an injury to her back. So, she remembered me and was as nice as I recalled. She really listened and took into account my questions and lifestyle, etc...

My concerns/symptoms are:
-difficultly sleeping - not as deeply and hard to get to sleep and stay that way
-exhaustion even with a decent night's sleep.
-mood swings
-anxiety/stressed with a lifestyle that I used to be able to handle with ease
-extra dry skin and hair
-brain fog
-difficulty losing weight even with strict adherence to a good diet
-gained 30 pounds in the past 18 months
-palpitations
-hot flushes
-cold flushes
-no period since August
-high BP

She suggested that I have a comprehensive blood workup, including checking my thyroid, hormone levels, complete blood count, cholesterol, lipids, B12, and blood sugar. I will do this Monday am, so it can be fasting.

She really doesn't think it is menopause because of my age and the sudden onset. But, I still think it could be.

My mother, sister, grandmother, and aunt on my mom's side have thyroid issues and my dad is diabetic. I am not freaking out at all, but I wondered if you all had any experience to share regarding:

Hypothyroidism
Pre-diabetes

Any books you would recommend? Natural supplements/lifestyle changes you would recommend?

Thanks in advance. I will let you all know what the results of the tests are.

Hollie in SC
01-20-2011, 06:24 PM
:group:

Lisalyn
01-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Definitely sounds like thyroid issues.

My list of symptoms was identical back in 2004, except for the high bp.

Meds straightened me out pretty quickly-much quicker than I expected. (That's how I got Eli.) :lol:

Some of the symptoms are still there, but much milder and usually very tolerable.

It's been so long. I can't think of any books and I know there are supplements you can take that will help. Negin would be a good person to contact about natural cures. Actually, I should do that myself. :)

Any specific questions, just ask and I'll try to answer. (brain fog) :lol:

Rachel Jane
01-20-2011, 07:36 PM

Esther-Alabama
01-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Meds straightened me out pretty quickly-much quicker than I expected. (That's how I got Eli.) :lol:

OH MY!!! That is good to know!

Do you remember the specific tests done to diagnosis your thyroid issues? Related to thyroid, she ordered only a TSH level. I don't remember much about this from nursing school, but I thought more was needed to diagnosis a thyroid issue.

Also, the doctor told me to get a good multi-vitamin, so I stopped by the health food store. I saw several vitamin mixtures that said something like,"Thyroid support" and one that even said,"Natural dried thyroid" and the ingredients were bovine thyroid gland!!! Is that for real? Can they sell dried thyroid gland and does it work?

Ronette in CA
01-20-2011, 08:17 PM
OH MY!!! That is good to know!

Do you remember the specific tests done to diagnosis your thyroid issues? Related to thyroid, she ordered only a TSH level. I don't remember much about this from nursing school, but I thought more was needed to diagnosis a thyroid issue.

You need free T3 and free T4 as well. TSH does not tell the whole story.:group:

Lisalyn
01-20-2011, 09:18 PM
OH MY!!! That is good to know! Yes, it is. :lol: I was going every 2 weeks for med adjustments. As my numbers improved, the dr mentioned that ovul*tion would return to normal once my numbers were in range. When I went back 2 weeks later, they were in range and the pg test was positive. :eek: :)

Do you remember the specific tests done to diagnosis your thyroid issues? Related to thyroid, she ordered only a TSH level. I don't remember much about this from nursing school, but I thought more was needed to diagnosis a thyroid issue. Most drs will only test TSH in the beginning and go from there. I think that's why so many people go undiagnosed. If your TSH comes back normal or low normal, I'd ask for the T3 and T4. An endocrinologist will definitely test T3 and T4.

Also, the doctor told me to get a good multi-vitamin, so I stopped by the health food store. I saw several vitamin mixtures that said something like,"Thyroid support" and one that even said,"Natural dried thyroid" and the ingredients were bovine thyroid gland!!! Is that for real? Can they sell dried thyroid gland and does it work? I'm thinking Negin told me that I needed to make sure there was no copper in the multi because it affects thyroid negatively. They are not easy to find. I've never looked at the 'thyroid support' multi's. I wonder if they have copper... Bovine thyroid?? Ew. I don't know about that. :p

Laurie Dawn
01-21-2011, 11:46 AM
You need free T3 and free T4 as well. TSH does not tell the whole story.:group:

Yup! Need all three tested!

I have had hypothyroidism since 99'! When I read your symptoms that was my immediate thought! Let us know what you find out!

Sheri
01-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Man that list (aside from the no period: just a whacky one) could be mine! I've been blaming all of the meds they had me on for depression so I just weaned off of them and am hoping that straightens things out.

Esther-Alabama
01-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Man that list (aside from the no period: just a whacky one) could be mine! I've been blaming all of the meds they had me on for depression so I just weaned off of them and am hoping that straightens things out.

Sheri,
My grandmother is the one who encouraged me to go to the doctor and pursue bloodwork for hypothyroid issues. She told me if "you ever feel overly anxious and depressed or if you are having trouble sleeping, have your thyroid checked." I have a very strong family history, with a GM, mother, sister, and several maternal aunts/uncles with this issue. I hope all is well with me, but honestly.... I also hope they find SOMETHING! That way I'll know I'm not just losing my mind!!

Oney
01-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Sheri,
My grandmother is the one who encouraged me to go to the doctor and pursue bloodwork for hypothyroid issues. She told me if "you ever feel overly anxious and depressed or if you are having trouble sleeping, have your thyroid checked."

Grandma sounds very wise. I was reading your list of symptoms and can identify. So why don't they just do the T3 and T4 test too? Why do we have to ask for it? :crazy:

Debbie W
01-24-2011, 01:26 PM
It could be your thyroid, but have you considered yeast over growth? Almost all the symptoms you describe can be caused by yeast overgrowth.