PDA

View Full Version : Question about HCG

Marcia
01-29-2011, 02:22 PM
So, I looked at the website. It seems to me if you follow the diet, you'd lose weight anyways~without the pills or injections. I'm a little skeptical. :unsure: I don't really need to lose weight, but my middle dd has struggled with weight all her life. I might be interested in doing this for her. She is asking me to help her with her weight loss goals, and she is the one who got me back into exercising regularly. :)

She needs to lose about 40lbs. I don't know...can you tell me more.

Merrilee Morse
01-29-2011, 03:45 PM
Marcia, I understand your skepticism. I felt that way too. But a few of the people on here have been doing the diet and exercise merry-go-round for YEARS and haven't lost the weight, the the HCG is actually causing them to drop the weight like crazy.

TrishaG
01-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Marcia, I'm out at the moment, but i'd be happy to discuss it with you when I.m home. Pm me with your email and we'll chat if you're up.to it.

Marcia
01-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Marcia, I understand your skepticism. I felt that way too. But a few of the people on here have been doing the diet and exercise merry-go-round for YEARS and haven't lost the weight, the the HCG is actually causing them to drop the weight like crazy.

Wow, that is great! I'm going to show the website to my husband and see what he thinks. Abby exercises and eats well. She has always struggled with her weight. She was a chubby baby, chubby toddler, etc... She is the sweetest girl too!

Julie Y
01-29-2011, 04:45 PM
I don't know much about HCG -- not interested in messing with hormones -- but there were articles in the paper this past week warning against over-the-counter or internet HCG products:
http://www.azfamily.com/news/health/FDA-Over-the-counter-HCG-products-fraudulent-114733744.html

Rachel Jane
01-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Your DD eats the same as the rest of you and is relatively active, right?

Pming you. :kiss:

TrishaG
01-29-2011, 05:50 PM
For me, it's been wonderful.

My metabolism is seriously messed up thanks to a lengthy battle with an eating disorder from 9yo - my early 20s. This was recommended to me by an MD in hopes of healing my metabolism. I did my first round of 23 days in October, losing slower than most people, but losing none the less. When I went into the maintainence phase over the holidays, I actually lost another couple of pounds...OVER THE HOLIDAYS, eating yummy foods and all.

My relationship with food has completely changed, even in this short time. I'm learning to eat to live. Not to deprive myself (well, except when on the low calorie phase ;) ), but to be aware. I don't want the foods I once lived for. I have energy, my skin is clearer, I can (usually) think more clearly, it's been a wonderful thing for my DH and I as we've done this together.

That's the brief version of my thoughts on it. With a teenager, I'd definitely want to seek medical help if you choose this plan. At least for a physical and a thumbs up. But, I wouldn't hesitate to allow my own child to do this program should the need arise. And, in case you're wondering...I started off a skeptic too. ;)

Negin
01-30-2011, 04:32 AM
Marcia, hhcg (homeopathic hcg) has been THE best thing for me in a very, very long time. Some do the homeopathic route. Others go for the Rx. They both have their pros and cons.
I was extremely skeptical at first. But there's no way that I could have felt very little to no hunger on 500 calories a day without hcg. I've lost 23 pounds in just over a month. I love this diet. I visit these forums (http://hcgdietinfo.com/hcgdietforums/forum.php) regularly and have learned so much. I feel great. Better than I have in ages.
I did tons and tons of research and reading beforehand. I don't think it's wise to just jump into this blindly.
I'm very much not at all a diet person. But again, this is do-able. This has jump-started my weight loss. I needed that. I was tired of the slow or non-existent losses on other plans. I needed something radical. :D
I have some very specific and detailed tips if she does decide to do this.
So many of the ladies here, including Trisha :kiss:, were such a fabulous help to me.

Marcia
01-30-2011, 05:10 PM
But there's no way that I could have felt very little to no hunger on 500 calories a day without hcg.

500 calories a day?! :eek: Is that the diet!? Won't that mess up your metabolism? What happens when you start eating the normal calorie requirement? Sorry, so many questions. :spin:

Thank you everyone for all the information. I'm still researching. I definitely will not start my dd on this without seeing a doctor first. I'm glad it's working so well for so many of you! :)

TrishaG
01-30-2011, 05:23 PM
500 calories a day?! :eek: Is that the diet!? Won't that mess up your metabolism? What happens when you start eating the normal calorie requirement? Sorry, so many questions. :spin:

Sounds overwhelming and just not right, doesn't it? I felt that way too.

The simple version of the theory behind hcg is something like this:

When you're pg, your body uses hcg to develop the baby. When hcg is taken without a pg, your body uses the hcg to burn off excess stores of fat. Your body is burning something like 2500 calories of excess fat a day just from your reserves. The low calorie intake is why it's done in phases. Although hunger is curbed b/c of the hcg, it would be very difficult and not the wisest choice to live off of 500 calories a day for extended periods of time.

With the phase following the 500 calories, you are to eat at least 1500 calories a day. This phase is very important as THIS is what is supposed to reset your hypothalmus.

I don't know why it works. I don't know how it works. I do know that it has worked and continues to do so for me. Obviously, I'm passionate about it because of that. I do realize, however, that like so many life choices...natural or medicated birth, bre@st or bottle feeding, sahm or wohm, homeschool/private/public school, etc, etc...everyone's situation is different and you've got to do what's right for you and your family.

Praying for you as you research and look for a way to help your beautiful girl!

Ami
01-30-2011, 08:02 PM
Negin, why did you choose Meridian Labs over any other source?

Negin
02-01-2011, 03:16 AM
Negin, why did you choose Meridian Labs over any other source?
Ami, I PM'd you, but also am posting here for the possible benefit of others. There are many places to order drops from. Some are very good. My drops were great.
But Ive now ordered pellets. There are fewer choices with pellets, since hhcg pellets are quite new.
I chose Meridian because it has a very good deal going - pretty much half price. They did refund me and have said that if the pellets eventually arrive, I can keep them (or my friend can). In all fairness, they responded to my email very quickly.
In the end, yesterday, that is, I ordered my pellets from ultimagehcg.com - simply because it seems that their shipping options are more and they're faster. Hopefully! :eek: ;)

Rachel Jane
02-01-2011, 07:39 AM
how do you deal with birthdays?
meals in restaurants?
meals at friend's homes?

TrishaG
02-01-2011, 05:08 PM
RJ - We don't. We schedule our rounds around those events as much as is possible.

DH & I are doing this together. We began this current round a few days before his birthday, however (at his insistance). We had baked tilapia, roasted asparagus and grapefruit. :)

We are having friends come to visit toward the end of the month and will be stopping a few days early so we have more freedom to eat while they're here.

Many people allow themselves to have a cheat day on protocol. I can't bring myself to do it. I work too stinkin' hard to stick to this, I just can't allow myself to fudge. But that's just me and how I'm programed. I'm a pretty black & white kinda person when it comes to following rules.

ETA: I think it's very helpful to keep in mind that the low calorie phase is only 20-40 days. It's followed by 3 weeks of low carb eating, but no calorie or fat restrictions, then easing into a 'normal' (healthful, life long) way of eating.

Luisa
02-02-2011, 06:56 AM
My first round, I did the same as Trisha and her hubby. I couldn't bring myself to have a cheat day either.
This round, I'm a LITTLE more relaxed. I have been putting cream in my coffee in the mornings, I didn't cut out all of my "beauty" products and am having an extra "snack" (allowed food, of course, but I really do need more food. It may be the exercise, but I can't NOT exercise. Even when I take it down a couple of notches, I still get hungry. So I'm modifying. So far I've removed 7lbs. in the last 3 days. So I will do this as long as I don't stall. And if I do, I'll cut back the snack. BUT I'M KEEPING THE CREAM IN MY COFFEE DARN IT!!!!):D

Christi in VA
02-02-2011, 11:30 PM
I just finished my 2nd round and have lost a total of 35 lbs. I second the comments about teaching you a new way of thinking about food. I do not know exactly how the hypothalamus is reset, but it is. I had just come off my 1st round when Christmas arrived. I was able to eat the brunch and many of the goodies around at the house where we were visiting for 3 days and never gained a smidge of it back. Now, I didn't pig out and I wouldn't do that every day, but it was a relief to know that I can do those things in moderation. Don't know how it works, but it does. I am so very pleased that I can at least shop in regular sizes now. :) I still have a way to go, but I'm halfway there and beginning to get back into regular exercise.

Robin in Colorado
02-03-2011, 08:03 AM
Wow! Y'all are very encouraging!

I was very skeptical, but I lost 14 pounds in 3 1/2 weeks. During that time I was under a lot of stress, and was traveling back and forth to my parent's house (2 days each way). I didn't have a 'cheat' day but did my best choosing stuff from places we stopped. However, as I posted on the other HCG thread, I stopped the diet when my dad died, and then the sometime over the next two months I began to eat for comfort. When I noticed what I was doing, I stopped.

I haven't been on the scales, but my pants are still just as baggy as they were when I lost the weight. I didn't lose a whole lot around my mid-section, but in other places. So, though I wasn't able to go down a pant size, I was able to get jeans with a slimmer cut.

When I was doing the diet, it was under the supervision of a naturopath. Also, at the time I was doing it, a girl from Big Girl's soccer team was on it. We have been acquainted with her since they were about 6 and she was very fluffy even then. She lost 25 pounds. We talked a lot about it. It helped her confidence; she felt strong knowing that she could take charge of her body and that she could stick to the diet; and she also had much more energy and enjoyment.

MelissaSS
02-03-2011, 09:03 AM
I don't at all want to sound critical, since this is working so well for so many ladies here, but I do want to give one word of caution :unsure: My mom did this diet over the summer. She had great success with it, and lost a lot of weight. She also lost her gallbladder. Both her general practice doctor and the gastrointenelogist who did her surgery told her it was direct result of doing such an extreme diet and losing the weight so quickly. It took six months for her to realize it was her gallbladder, and so she had six months of severe pain, and she did lose more weight, because she was just so sick :unsure:

I would be really hesitant to use something like this for a teenager. If you do, I would be sure you do lots and lots of research and talk to her doctor about it first.

I hope I didn't offend any one! All I know about this diet is my mom's experience, which I realize is very anecdotal.

Negin
02-03-2011, 04:30 PM
how do you deal with birthdays?
meals in restaurants?
meals at friend's homes?
None of the above/very few of the above. I have greatly limited my social life and interactions. My birthday is coming up in March and I don't think I'll be able to have birthday cake. Someone on P3 had just one slice of bday cake and she gained 3 pounds - no sugar, no starch in P3. I might freeze it to have for P4. My mom makes THE best-tasting bday cake ...
I don't eat at restaurants here during P2. Oh wait, I did have some grilled chicken last Saturday. No oils, etc. You have to be very specific with them. I know someone who often went to Applebees.
Meals at friends' homes - I limit social stuff. But it can be done. Depends on how close you are to them and how comfortable you feel talking about your diet. I don't feel very comfortable talking about these things IRL. Only here and in other places. When we have our meetings, for example, and everyone brings food, I've passed up and since everyone's busy, no one has really noticed. When they do, I just tell them that I've had dinner already, which is true. It's only for 26 or 43 days, so one can try to forgo as many social things as is reasonably possible, or bring one's own food, or have others over to YOUR home, etc. I haven't had any major problems with it. I don't mind getting together for coffee or tea. No calories in those and we're allowed unlimited quantities.

Many people allow themselves to have a cheat day on protocol. I can't bring myself to do it. I work too stinkin' hard to stick to this, I just can't allow myself to fudge. But that's just me and how I'm programed. I'm a pretty black & white kinda person when it comes to following rules.
I agree, Trisha. I'm also very black and white, especially with this sort of thing. Hence why I just know that P2 will be much easier for me than P3. I need this sort of structure and rigidity. At this point in my life, stuff like the NOs diet, etc. - they just haven't been giving me results.

This round, I'm a LITTLE more relaxed.
Luisa, where have I been? I didn't even know that you had already started another round!

So far I've removed 7lbs. in the last 3 days.
:clap:

TBUT I'M KEEPING THE CREAM IN MY COFFEE DARN IT!!!!)
:lol:

I just finished my 2nd round and have lost a total of 35 lbs.
:clap: :group:

Wow! Y'all are very encouraging!

I was very skeptical, but I lost 14 pounds in 3 1/2 weeks. During that time I was under a lot of stress, and was traveling back and forth to my parent's house (2 days each way). I didn't have a 'cheat' day but did my best choosing stuff from places we stopped. However, as I posted on the other HCG thread, I stopped the diet when my dad died, and then the sometime over the next two months I began to eat for comfort. When I noticed what I was doing, I stopped.

I haven't been on the scales, but my pants are still just as baggy as they were when I lost the weight. I didn't lose a whole lot around my mid-section, but in other places. So, though I wasn't able to go down a pant size, I was able to get jeans with a slimmer cut.

When I was doing the diet, it was under the supervision of a naturopath. Also, at the time I was doing it, a girl from Big Girl's soccer team was on it. We have been acquainted with her since they were about 6 and she was very fluffy even then. She lost 25 pounds. We talked a lot about it. It helped her confidence; she felt strong knowing that she could take charge of her body and that she could stick to the diet; and she also had much more energy and enjoyment.

However, as I posted on the other HCG thread, I stopped the diet when my dad died, and then the sometime over the next two months I began to eat for comfort. When I noticed what I was doing, I stopped.
Robin, you encouraged and taught me so much with this. I am so grateful to you. :kiss:
BTW, you are simply BEAUTIFUL! You look like Meredith Vieria, hope that's a compliment. It's meant to be ... :lol:
On a more serious note, you have been in my prayers with all that's been going on in your life. This has been a very hard time, I know.

I don't at all want to sound critical, since this is working so well for so many ladies here, but I do want to give one word of caution :unsure: My mom did this diet over the summer. She had great success with it, and lost a lot of weight. She also lost her gallbladder. Both her general practice doctor and the gastrointenelogist who did her surgery told her it was direct result of doing such an extreme diet and losing the weight so quickly. It took six months for her to realize it was her gallbladder, and so she had six months of severe pain, and she did lose more weight, because she was just so sick :unsure:
I would be really hesitant to use something like this for a teenager. If you do, I would be sure you do lots and lots of research and talk to her doctor about it first.
I hope I didn't offend any one! All I know about this diet is my mom's experience, which I realize is very anecdotal.

I don't at all want to sound critical, since this is working so well for so many ladies here, but I do want to give one word of caution. My mom did this diet over the summer. She had great success with it, and lost a lot of weight. She also lost her gallbladder. Both her general practice doctor and the gastrointenelogist who did her surgery told her it was direct result of doing such an extreme diet and losing the weight so quickly. It took six months for her to realize it was her gallbladder, and so she had six months of severe pain, and she did lose more weight, because she was just so sick
Melissa, wow, so sorry. :sad: I have heard that those who are prone to gallbladder issues, don't have good results at all. I think Laurie mentioned it here some months ago. Plus, I think it read it in the original manuscript, which though quite boring and dry, is necessary to read. Again, so sorry for the severe pain she went through. Was she on homeopathic or Rx?

I think it depends on the age of the teen. The closer to 18, I think, the better. I wouldn't ask a doctor, since most are inherently very biased against hcg and really don't know much about it at all. I would go to a naturopath like Robin and her teen friend did and/or ask on various hcg forums, like the one (http://hcgdietinfo.com/hcgdietforums/forum.php) I visit.
I'm pretty sure that many there are teens and young adults. Now, if a teen already has health issues, that's a different story. I would exercise far more caution. Yes, research is key. Some do have issues with this diet, but it's far more likely to occur with Rx hcg than with hhcg (homeopathic).

No offense taken at all. It's important to hear both sides to every story. All the pros and cons. It's helpful and beneficial to all. :group: