PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else watch Downton Abbey on PBS?

Robin H in VA
01-31-2011, 11:21 PM
I didn't get to see it on TV (because we don't have cable and the chip thingy in the TV is useless with an antenna and train or winds or just bad weather in general) sorry, I just hate that I can't sit down and watch ANYTHING, not even the news without missing at least 5 to 10 minutes for every 30 minutes, give or take.

Anyway, so Downton Abbey, did anyone watch?? I am now awaiting for our library to get the DVD first season in. I already have it on hold. :clap:

Amanda in RI
02-01-2011, 10:40 AM
LOVED it! Cannot WAIT for the 2nd season!!!!! I even got dh to watch it with me, and he's hooked, too! Loved, loved, loved it!

Shauna
02-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Yes. It's excellent! Who knew Masterpiece season finales could be such cliffhangers? First Sherlock (which was brilliant!) and now Downton Abbey!

KathleenM
02-01-2011, 11:37 AM
We have watched the first three and will catch the last one some time this week. I got off to a bit of a slow start - my dh was about ready to chuck it although I was interested in continuing. Then it picked up and we are both enjoying it very much. :thumb:

Rebe
02-01-2011, 11:44 AM
We were trying to tape it but lost an episode or two. We'll probably try to see it on DVD when the library gets it. I'm sure we'll love it, based on what I've heard!

CJ
02-01-2011, 12:13 PM
My 15yod already bought Sherlock on dvd. She's hooked.
:lol:

We haven't gotten time for Downtown Abbey yet (we're currently watching Lark Rise to Candleford), but you can watch it here:
http://video.pbs.org/program/979359625/

I'm hoping to start it this weekend.

CJ
02-01-2011, 07:14 PM
My 15yod already bought Sherlock on dvd. She's hooked.
:lol:

We haven't gotten time for Downtown Abbey yet (we're currently watching Lark Rise to Candleford), but you can watch it here:
http://video.pbs.org/program/979359625/

I'm hoping to start it this weekend.

ETA: :roflol:
My dd is now making fun of me for typing DOWNTOWN - not downTON abbey - she says, "Cause there's so many abbeys, they call that one the downtown one."
:roflol:

Sorry! I didn't notice there was no W at the end.

KathleenM
02-01-2011, 09:14 PM
One night my dh accidently slipped and called it Downtown Alley! :lol:

Robin H in VA
02-01-2011, 10:11 PM
I missed all of Sherlock and I know it had to be great as well. I just hate having to watch all of these on my computer. The picture is so fuzzy and grainy and just not good.

I will have to check with the library if they are getting Sherlock or I will have to watch on here.

If I can just figure out HOW to use ds iPad to watch on TV, I think that would work, but not sure if it will work from like the PBS homepage??? Its worth a try and the money to get the piece that goes to the iPad, when I can get my hands on it (don't want to have to pay shipping from Apple).

Shauna
02-01-2011, 10:19 PM
They're also on Netflix.

Robin H in VA
02-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Don't have Netflix, still debating on it and the reason is back to the iPad situation. I have to find this cord that we need to for the iPad and then go ahead and get netflix.

Elizabeth in KY
02-11-2012, 11:16 AM
I just started watching last night! :clap: I'm so excited to start a series that I know I'll enjoy! I watched the first two episodes of Season 1 then made myself shut the computer down. It would have been so easy to stay up all night watching.

LynnDinKY
02-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Our local Library is totally awesome!! they have season 1 and 2 of Downton Abbey. I've watched them all and I'm ready for season 3 if they make it. They also have Larkrise to Candleford and I'm waiting for them to get season 5.

Robin(CA)
02-11-2012, 01:55 PM
It is fantastic -- dh likes it as much as I do. We watched season 1 on Netflix and have been watching season 2 from the PBS website.

maria maria
02-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Yes. It's excellent! Who knew Masterpiece season finales could be such cliffhangers? First Sherlock (which was brilliant!) and now Downton Abbey!

Yes! What she said. :yes:

And FWIW, the versions on Netflix are the full versions of both Downton and Sherlock, which are so worth watching. I saw Sherlock on Netflix first and then was going to rewatch it when it began reshowing on PBS recently and well, I was shocked at how cutting a few seconds out here and there made a gianormous difference in the flow and overall fantasticness of the episodes. I think the bits cut here and there from Downton would be somewhat less noticeable due to the slower pace, however none the less helpful to see when it comes to the flow of the episodes, thus the entire series. The Masterpiece versions of Downton always felt a bit rushed in places to me, where lingering was longed for, and that seemed to mess about with the entire stream of the season.

I love the way Downton brings that time period to life in a way that transports one with such palatable, even visceral effect so it is as if you absorb the realities of life then and there....90 minutes of virtual time travel. ;) And Highclere Castle plays no small part in all of this effervescent transportation. That place as a set is beyond amazing. Oh the scenery, the costumes, the everything. :D

And (spoiler alert) look what we have to look forward to in season 3! http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/classic/index.html#maclaine

Downton is deliciously, elegantly, Britishly wonderful. :spin: Not to mention hysterical.(Dame Maggie Smith, need I say more? :) )

CJ
02-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Downton season 1 is also on Amazon On Demand for free if you have Prime shipping. You can also watch season 1 for free on Hulu right now.

We have been watching season 2 on the PBS website for Free at our leisure (that was pronounced with an "eh" sound and not an "ee" sound). :lol:

MicheleNJ
02-11-2012, 09:04 PM
I just started watching season 1 and I love it!

Shauna
02-11-2012, 09:06 PM
They also have Larkrise to Candleford and I'm waiting for them to get season 5.

:clap: I started watching that series right after we decided to cancel our Netflix DVD service and do streaming only. I keep hoping it will move to streaming too!

Alicia
02-12-2012, 02:55 PM
CJ ~ Thank you for telling us about Amazon on Demand!! I didn't know I could watch tv shows and movies free on it. :)

Angela Paige
02-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Did the h*mos*exual kiss in the very first episode take you by surprise? Does the relationship continue? Are there more kisses such as that one?

After seeing so many recommendations (here and fb), I watched the first episode. I totally wasn't expecting it and I just couldn't continue watching it afterwards. I rarely watch TV and usually when I do I am appalled by what I see. :unsure: However, I think that this time I was especially bothered because no one had ever hinted there would be a g*y storyline involved and based on what I knew of the show I never ever guessed that it would be.

I hope this doesn't come across as judgmental ... I'm just curious if I am the only one bothered by that aspect of the show.

Paige

shonda in ca
02-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Paige, I did not like seeing that at all. :no: I have watched the whole first season and caught up on the second this week-end (hey, I'm in bed not feeling well! :lol: ) and there isn't any more of that, other than when he makes an advance on another man that is not accepted.
The second season doesn't play that angle up at all. They stick with him just being a pretty rotten person in general.

LynnDinKY
02-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Paige, I did not like seeing that at all. :no: I have watched the whole first season and caught up on the second this week-end (hey, I'm in bed not feeling well! :lol: ) and there isn't any more of that, other than when he makes an advance on another man that is not accepted.
The second season doesn't play that angle up at all. They stick with him just being a pretty rotten person in general.

An extremely obnoxious character is what he's turned out to be. Can't stand him. BUT he's important to the story. I was hoping in one episode (season2) that something would fall on him and they could get rid of him. But it didn't happen. There's always hope for season 3. ;) Now before we go any further..... I don't dislike his character because he's ...... I dislike his character because he's a conniving, self-centered, obnoxious, extremely MEAN person.

Cara in WA
02-13-2012, 12:29 AM
Did the h*mos*exual kiss in the very first episode take you by surprise? Does the relationship continue? Are there more kisses such as that one?

After seeing so many recommendations (here and fb), I watched the first episode. I totally wasn't expecting it and I just couldn't continue watching it afterwards. I rarely watch TV and usually when I do I am appalled by what I see. :unsure: However, I think that this time I was especially bothered because no one had ever hinted there would be a g*y storyline involved and based on what I knew of the show I never ever guessed that it would be.

I hope this doesn't come across as judgmental ... I'm just curious if I am the only one bothered by that aspect of the show.

Paige

I fired Downton Abbey up this afternoon on Netflix and was shocked with this scene. I was not expecting that and immediately turned it off.

I feel that however compelling the story line is, it's not for me.

Angela Paige
02-13-2012, 04:21 AM

Glad to know I'm not alone, Cara! I think that this won't be the show for me either, even if I was prepared to like it.

Paige

Robin(CA)
02-13-2012, 07:50 AM
It's a one-off. It doesn't come up again (except for a blackmail reference later). I was completely surprised by it, but aside from that one scene, I'd let my kids watch it.

Shauna
02-13-2012, 10:38 AM
I fired Downton Abbey up this afternoon on Netflix and was shocked with this scene. I was not expecting that and immediately turned it off.

Fair enough, and that's completely your decision to make. That scene is a minor part of the overall story, but we all have the liberty to decide for ourselves whether shows, movies, books, and other forms of media recommended on the forum meet our individual tastes and standards.

JavaJackie
02-13-2012, 03:46 PM
It's a one-off. It doesn't come up again (except for a blackmail reference later). I was completely surprised by it, but aside from that one scene, I'd let my kids watch it.

I actually forgot about it.. Thomas' character has so many other dimensions that they really haven't visited that part of his character again. I would not let that one scene keep you from watching an otherwise wonderful show.