PDA

View Full Version : mic-key buttons and swimming

AmyinWI
02-02-2011, 12:25 AM
one of these long winter days, I'd like to take the kids swimming at the Y.... but this is the first time I've had the issue of G having his feeding tube.

I am wondering how other moms of deal with this.

Do you just let the button be exposed and not let it bother you if people stare?

Do you put on swimwear to cover the top,or put a t-shirt on in the water?
Any swimwear suggestions? I'm thinking maybe a rashguard type top?

Has anyone had issues with the tube getting infected after swimming?

AmyinWI
02-04-2011, 11:03 PM
bump bump! :)

Marie IN
02-05-2011, 02:18 PM
We haven't had any issues with the button in the pool. Once or twice the flap has popped open though. I just dry the area carefully when he gets out. Ds swims at therapy or camp so there hasn't been a issue of people looking.

AmyinWI
02-05-2011, 11:56 PM
I guess I'm also concerned that G himself sees it. Once he notices it, he grabs at it,itches and seems overall bothered that he can't get that thing off his belly :lol:
So out of sight out of mind. If I could just find a onesie swimming suit for him,that would be a perfect solution.:)

Tricia O
02-06-2011, 12:19 AM
Google one piece swimsuit for toddler boys & see what you find.

I found this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Breakers-Protective-Swimsuit-Infant-Toddler/dp/B0036ZE94O

ETA Be sure to read the review!

AmyinWI
02-06-2011, 12:29 AM
oh Tricia- love that!!!
it looks perfect! wish it wasn't so costly, but it will probably fit a few years, since he doesnt' grow all that fast.

Trish A
02-06-2011, 12:37 AM
Seth is over messing with his, but we cover because of curious people like our neighbor's kid who saw it peeking out from under his shirt and grabbed it thinking it was just on there and not in there.

AmyinWI
02-06-2011, 01:21 AM
Seth is over messing with his, but we cover because of curious people like our neighbor's kid who saw it peeking out from under his shirt and grabbed it thinking it was just on there and not in there.

oh gosh- never thought of other kids grabbing at it!!! :eek:

Tiffany
02-20-2011, 03:41 PM
Hello! I am brand new here today and just browsing through and saw your post. My son used to have a g-tube and we used a swim shirt when I thought it might be an issue. They have the rash guards at our Target right now and they aren't too expensive ($10). I also thought about those one piece swimsuits but we never did get one of those. Now my son has no g-tube but lots of huge scars all over his abdomen so he still prefers to always wear a swim shirt.

Hollie in SC
02-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Amy, for Noah's colostomy coverage we have ordered the one piece wave suits from LLBean on clearance. They swim at his preschool every week during the summer. It has worked well and prevents him from playing with it. They are similar to the one linked above, but may be a little cuter. They have a zipper down the front and he steps into it wearing just his swim diaper. I am not sure if Land's End carries them. I doubt it will be long before LLBean has them in stock. Noah has worn his for 2 summers.

Esther-Alabama
02-20-2011, 10:24 PM
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/67981?feat=507500-GN2

This is the blue version of the one I got my Lizzy, just because she has very sensitive skin and needed sun coverage without lotions.

AmyinWI
02-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Oh,those are cute!! And the price is not bad at all.

Hollie in SC
02-21-2011, 07:30 AM
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/67981?feat=507500-GN2

This is the blue version of the one I got my Lizzy, just because she has very sensitive skin and needed sun coverage without lotions.

Yes, those are the ones. I didn't see them when I looked. :)