PDA

View Full Version : Some really useful iPad apps I have found.

Esther-Alabama
02-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Recently, my dh bought an iPad for himself to take on trips, however he soon realized he was having trouble doing lots of word processing on it and gave it to me! :D I have been trying out several new apps and wanted to share the ones that have been helpful for my dyslexic/dysgraphic son.

Typ-O HD is a word prediction app. It allows you to type within the app, email your note or print it, etc... It costs ten dollars and can be customized for the level of help your child needs from mild to severe. It will speak aloud the writing or just a single word. It gives suggestions based on the word you have already typed. I think it can be a valuable portable writing aid for my ds. We have been trying it out for about a week

We are using All About Spelling as a spelling program. I recently found an app called Sound Literacy. It is a tool using tiles like AAS and ds is using it instead of the tiles and magnetic white board. this app is expensive and is $35.00. W are using it every single day, though and it has been worth it for us. It seems to help solidify in ds's brain the words, without the hassle of organizing the tiles each time... He has a lot of trouble with alphabetical order and keeping the board looking nice, which confuses him. This app provides him with that organizational help.

There are a couple games style math apps I am using for everyone.

ACE Multiply is a free and fun one for multiplication table practice.
Kids Math is a fun one for all levels of math, from adding on up.

I hope all this helps someone else!

I hope this helps someone and as I find more good ones, I will let y'all know.

Robin H in VA
02-02-2011, 12:16 PM
I am going to look into the Typ-O HD, that might be a good one for ds.

When you were looking, did you just look under educational stuff or did you specify??

Ds has a $15.00 gift card that I would like to use soon, but not sure what to get. I have gotten a lot for free.

The Sound Literacy sounds really good too, not sure if we can afford that price right now though. Do you know if there is a trial app?

Esther-Alabama
02-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Sound literacy does not have a trial. My boys got several gift cards and I used them for this app! Shhhhhh, don't tell them!

There was a scheduling app called First, Then Next that is a visual schedule of your day. I think something like that would help ALL of us but I did not get it because I am not sure it would work with five of us. Might work with your one child, though.

Hollie in SC
02-02-2011, 12:49 PM
:thumb:

Robin H in VA
02-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Well, thanks for the other heads up on the First, Then Next app. Looks like I will be playing on iTunes for a bit this evening. :lol: