PDA

View Full Version : Doctor results

Merrilee Morse
02-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Well, apparently my thyroid function is just fine, but we are looking at the real probability that what is really wrong with me is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I have literally ALL the symptoms. Trouble is, my doctor wants to put me on anti-depressants on top of the bazillion other meds I have to take for all the stuff I have wrong. Pretty soon I can quit eating and just fill up on pills. I am exploring some homeopathic strategies such as Ginseng and magnesium as mood elevators and essential oils such as rosemary and peppermint. Has anyone else here dealt with this, and do you know any other ideas I can do?

Luisa
02-02-2011, 07:45 PM
No, but some :group:'s are in order!!!

Trudy
02-02-2011, 08:01 PM
I'm sorry I can't help you either. I have had half of my thyroid taken out and I am on thyroid medicine but I still get tired real easy. :group:

Marcee
02-02-2011, 09:59 PM
Have you ever considered seeing a Naturopath? I know it's usually not covered by insurance, but I know many ppl that have been helped by them. Usually they run a blood panel and go from there. I'm with you about the pills! I hate them.

Hollie in SC
02-03-2011, 07:49 AM
:group: So sorry, friend. Praying!:group:

Jennifer Unsell
02-07-2011, 11:13 PM
I am so sorry Merrilee! :group: My mother-in-law has been dealing with chronic fatique for about 30 years now. She does take an anti depressant for it. She is on facebook- I can connect you with her over there or through email if need someone to talk too. Just let me know.

Christy in NE
02-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Well, apparently my thyroid function is just fine, but we are looking at the real probability that what is really wrong with me is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I have literally ALL the symptoms. Trouble is, my doctor wants to put me on anti-depressants on top of the bazillion other meds I have to take for all the stuff I have wrong. Pretty soon I can quit eating and just fill up on pills. I am exploring some homeopathic strategies such as Ginseng and magnesium as mood elevators and essential oils such as rosemary and peppermint. Has anyone else here dealt with this, and do you know any other ideas I can do?

Merrilee,

Many :group::group::group: to you.

Yes, I was dxed with this by two different drs. HORRIBLE.:eek:

Have you done a research on this yet? There are a couple of books that give good advice. Not sure of ones that are up to date, though. A lot has been changed concerning CFS-it was actually renamed a few years ago by the CDC. (?) And is considered an auto-immune disorder.

First thing first is to address your immune system. High levels of a liquid Vitamin D3, very, very good quality Multi-Vitamin, very high doses of Vit. C(liquid or powder in liquid-not tablets or capsules), a really, really good quality fish oil, and the same for pro-biotics. High quality,high doses. With the Vitamin C, you can and should spread it out over the day-I take 2,000mg(?) every 3 hours. I take between 10,000-20,000 IU's each day of Vit.D3(the D3 means it is more bio-available to your body.)

No sugar-I know you're diabetic, but really none at all-I stayed off of fruits also as they are high in sugar.

No caffeine.

Minimal exercise. Minimal.

LOTS AND LOTS OF SLEEP. Deep sleep. You need to be getting 10-12 hrs of sleep each night. If you aren't able to do this, you may need to ask for a sleep med. The dr that helped me get well(functioning, anyway) insisted that I get that huge amount of sleep and prescribed me sleep meds to be sure I was getting it.

If you have had this diagnosed, I would bet that your Adrenal glands are not functioning well, either. That would be another good place to start, IF you are positive that your Thyroid is well(many drs aren't aware of the proper thyroid tests to run). Usually those three "invisible illnesses" are present at the same time, sometimes along with Fibromyalgia.

There is a good website that has lots of info-called butyoudontlooksick.com just be warned, that some people on there are on the edge of suicide-when I was visiting the site, I would read to feel normal as noone IRL could understand what I was going through. There is AWESOME info there, just be prepared to read from people who are very desperate.

I second Marcee's advice about a Naturopath, and/or a Chiropractor. Just be sure the person comes with high kudos. There are so many natural drs that claim to have the answer for these out of the box illnesses, so be careful about whackos and quackos.;) I think you have a better chance of finding someone who is really good, compared to the slim pickins I have in this neck of the woods.

This was what worked for me. Feel free to PM if you want.:group:

Merrilee Morse
02-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Yes, I have been doing my homework. I am already taking a high quality wild salmon oil supplement and probiotic recommended by my homeopathic practitioner as well as lots of C and B. I also started taking two Magnesium capsules 400 mg each and it seems to be doing a good job as a mood elevator/energy booster. I refuse to even ask for anymore tests. I do not have decent medical coverage and they keep insisting I just need to talk to their psychiatrist. They are convinced most of it is emotionally based. I have suffered from bipolar all my life and I KNOW when I am depressed by now. They even had me do an extensive questionaire and my doctor admitted I didn't have any of the signs of severe depression, but wanted to send me off to a shrink anyway! I cannot afford to go back to my homeopathic doctor till dh is working steadily and right now he is not. I will go back in a heartbeat once money is good again. Happily they did give me a sleeping med for the nights when I need it. I am adding in all the recommendations, just over time as finances allow. Thanks for the info!

Robin in Colorado
02-09-2011, 07:59 PM
My doc recommended a book (http://www.amazon.com/Still-Thyroid-Symptoms-Tests-Normal/dp/1600376703/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1297299537&sr=8-1)to me. After reading it, I think it may address your symptoms.

rachelmn
02-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Something else to look at....The Body Ecology Diet. I know of others who have found help with it. :group:

Hayley M
02-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Merrilee,

I thought I had a thyroid problem, and also was diagnosed with normal function. I had previously thought I must have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but my symptoms would come and go. I never felt "depressed"... just exhausted and irritable from being so tired. I also felt achy, had a sore throat all the time, and felt generally like I was coming down with the flue. It turned out to be Seasonal Affective Disorder. I kind of blown away by this since I assumed that I would feel sad or depressed, and I felt neither. My doctor tells me that if he had his way he would change the name of depression to simply chemical imbalance, since there are no preconceived notions about that.

I took the following is from the Wikipedia article for Seasonal Affective Disorder. If it describes you then you might benefit from light therapy. It has done me a world of good. Hugs!!

"Seasonal affective disorder (SAD), also known as winter depression or winter blues, is a mood disorder in which people who have normal mental health throughout most of the year experience depressive symptoms in the winter, or, less frequently, in the summer,[1] spring or autumn, repeatedly, year after year. In the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV), SAD is not a unique mood disorder, but is "a specifier of major depression".[2]
Once regarded skeptically by the experts, seasonal affective disorder is now well established. Epidemiological studies estimate that its prevalence in the adult population of the US ranges from 1.4 percent (Florida) to 9.7 percent (New Hampshire).[3]
The US National Library of Medicine notes that "some people experience a serious mood change when the seasons change. They may sleep too much, have little energy, and may also feel depressed. Though symptoms can be severe, they usually clear up."[4] The condition in the summer is often referred to as reverse seasonal affective disorder, and can also include heightened anxiety.[5]
SAD was first formally described and named in 1984 by Norman E. Rosenthal and colleagues at the National Institute of Mental Health.[6][7]
There are many different treatments for classic (winter-based) seasonal affective disorder, including light therapy with sunlight or bright lights, antidepressant medication, cognitive-behavioral therapy, ionized-air administration,[8] and carefully timed supplementation of the hormone melatonin.[9]

Symptoms of SAD may consist of difficulty waking up in the morning, morning sickness, tendency to oversleep as well as to overeat, and especially a craving for carbohydrates, which leads to weight gain. Other symptoms include a lack of energy, difficulty concentrating on completing tasks, and withdrawal from friends, family, and social activities. All of this leads to the depression, pessimistic feelings of hopelessness, and lack of pleasure which characterize a person suffering from this disorder.[citation needed]
People who experience summer SAD (spring and summer depression) show symptoms of classic depression including insomnia, anxiety, irritability, decreased appetite, weight loss, social withdrawal, and a decreased sex drive.[5] Additionally, many patients are unable to cope with the increased temperatures during spring and summer.[citation needed]"

Also, read this woman's story. It sounds so much like my own! Again, if it sounds like you, perhaps this is part of your problem. If not, don't give up! You will eventually figure it out! Hugs!

http://www.mesupport.co.uk/index.php?page=seasonal-affective-disorder