PDA

View Full Version : Any Parenthood (tv show) fans here?

Julie Y
02-11-2011, 08:14 AM
I love this show. I think the acting is so good. If you haven't watched it, you can watch (free) on Hulu.com and go back to earlier episodes. It is a developing story so I think it would be hard to jump in and understand all the various dynamics.

It is about four adult siblings and their various family situations -- marriage and divorce issues, raising teenagers, an autistic son (the boy who plays this part does an amazing job), etc. I have found it to be quite compelling. It is currently the only TV show I am watching. It is on Tuesday nights at 9 here (I usually watch it later in the week on my computer).

WendyW
02-11-2011, 08:40 AM
I love it too! The single mom, (Sarah?), is played by the actress that played Lorelei Gilmore on Gilmore Girls, and I LOVE her! I like how "real" they all are. Some shows are so over-the-top dramatic, and others the characters are too good to be real. The writers got it right for this one.

Julie Y
02-11-2011, 09:08 AM
I still chuckle over the scene (in the first season) when the four adult children are driving to their parents' house to confront them about a concern they have about the parents' financial situation. And, along the way, they start bickering about who always gets to ride in the front seat! :lol: As the youngest of four kids myself, I could totally relate. :)

I also love the patriarchal couple's backyard where they have family dinners. I would love to have a setting like that some day for all of my kids and grandkids to visit!

KarenF
02-11-2011, 10:28 AM
I agree - the acting is really good. I watched all of the first season but haven't watched as much this season. It does seem very real and it's nice to see a drama that isn't about drs. or cops!

Amanda K
02-11-2011, 10:47 AM
LOVE this show!!!! Watch it faithfully every Tuesday. :D

The story is getting really good!
The only part I don't like is Kristina! For whatever reason, I just can't stand her character!:unsure: Too whiny, maybe. I don't know.

rachelmn
02-11-2011, 11:22 AM
LOVE it here too!:D

Julie Y
02-11-2011, 02:21 PM
The only part I don't like is Kristina! For whatever reason, I just can't stand her character.

She tends to get on my nerves, too; she is such a bundle of stress! And she's always brushing/flossing her teeth! :lol: They need to find some other time for that couple to have their meaningful conversations.

But, I did become a little more understanding of her over-reactions last week when she said that one reason she is so worried about her daughter's relationship with Alex is because her own mom ran off and got married at age 16.

Katie
02-11-2011, 03:39 PM
We watch it every Tuesday! I found myself in tears when Kristina went to the Asperger's meeting for the first time ~ I could so relate!

Erika in TX
02-11-2011, 05:19 PM
My older dc and I love it! It has been such a good conversation started between us. :clap: Even my dh, who doesn't like prime time TV at all, sat down and watched it with us this week. :lol:

Heidi J
02-11-2011, 05:34 PM
The only part I don't like is Kristina! For whatever reason, I just can't stand her character!:unsure: Too whiny, maybe. I don't know.

That's funny because I don't like Julia. I don't know if it's the actress or the character. :unsure:

Sue C
02-11-2011, 10:57 PM
:hi: We LOVE this show!! Having a child with Aspergers we can relate so well to it. You laugh and cry. Love it!

Shannon P
02-12-2011, 02:06 AM
I like it.

It makes me wish I had siblings, someone besides my dh to walk through life with.

But I dislike the bickering on the show. I know it happens IRL, but I don't watch TV to hear others bicker. I just turn it down until it passes.

Kisha
02-12-2011, 06:00 AM
I like it! Actually, I stayed up late last night watching Hulu in order to catch up on shows I missed. :yawn: My dh watches it sometimes, but he really can't take too much Lauren Graham.

Janee' in Texas
02-12-2011, 10:22 AM
We like it here too! I liked the episode where grandpa too his autistic grandson camping. I don't even know anyone with autism, and I thought it was great.

Laurie Dawn
02-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Just started watching this show! Like it! You girls are making me wanna go watch all of them now.

Marcia
02-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Love the show. Love the grandparents!! Kristina gets on my nerves! :perplex: I think the four older siblings play their roles so well. I can see my kids in them. :)

Amanda K
02-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Is Jabar(sp) a cutie pie or what?!?!?!:kiss:

deleise
02-13-2011, 12:38 AM
NEVER MISS IT! :clap:

tracy
02-13-2011, 11:57 AM
two :thumb: :thumb: up for both the writing and acting.
Parenthood is the only TV program I have been watching and look forward to watch every week. I TiVo it an my hubby and I watch together on Thursdays.
This has been the only TV show that has stimulated a conversation of "what would we do if faced in a similar situation?".

I personally like Kristina's character and actress playing the role. She so accurately portrays a mom with a child who requires not just needs more attention than most children. She went from a frustrated what's wrong with my child to a mom who found answers and makes list upon lists and seeks out help to try to get a handle on things(control) so she can get through the day. The instructional manual given to grandpa (Craig T Nelsen) was what every mom with an autistic or special needs child does. I think we see a mom struggling emotionally. It's uncomfortable to watch, but it depicts the struggle I have seen in myself and in other moms with special needs children, especially Autism. And then she is doing her best to set boundaries for her daughter whom she has never had conflicts with. She has always had a wonderful mom and daughter relationship and is protecting her which as the story unfolds we see what she is protecting her from.

My favourite line in the show comes from Lauren Graham's character when she was "trying to help" her daughter Amber during the episode when she was performing a song she had written. Something about moms seeing themselves in their children and not wanting them to make the same mistakes and yet their children are not them and moms have a hard time distinguishing between what is themselves and what is their child's own personality. I'll find it and quote it. Because it was better than I tried to describe. :)

Mom to daughter. Daughter is 17, plays guitar, writes and sings, is gifted like absent father and wanted to try to sing at an Open Mic night. Mom said something discouraging not meaning to based on her own fears and insecurity.

Scene: mom walks in while daughter strumming her guitar sitting on couch. mom sits down next to her. daughter stops playing.
Here's the line: "When you have kids, if you have kids, there is something you should know that they don't tell you. You see so much of yourself in them. You see your smile, your walk, your sense of humor, whatever. You think they are you but they are not you and they shouldn't have all your baggage, your fear, your insecurities they have their own. They don't have all the life experiences you have they have their own life. ..... You are talented and I should have said that. ...... I want you to go out and fly. You can fly". :hcry:

It's a beautiful scene between mom and teenage daughter.

Julie Y
02-13-2011, 02:28 PM
You guys are making me want to go back and watch all the episodes again!

Each of the characters has their faults and quirks -- if they didn't, it would be a very boring show. My teen daughters and I have had several interesting coversations based on the situations those teens are in -- especially the one where 16-yr-old Haddie is so dead-set on dating 19yo recovering alcoholic Alex. She is so convinced that her parents should not be able to tell her what to do. Her attitude is pretty extreme -- enough that my dds are shocked by her rebellion -- but I do recognize some of that attitude in my own 16yo and could see us having similar battles if she were to fall for a guy we didn't approve of. And, of course, it is so much more complicated because Alex is such a fundamentally decent young man.

Tracy, I agree with you on all the parts you mentioned! And isn't this an interesting new twist with Seth showing up? He has a lot of charisma! I wonder if he will become a regular part of the show. Amber has been one of my favorite characters. I think she does an incredible job as a mature but hurting teen girl.

Crosby is a favorite, too! This last episode was gut-wrenching because of the conflict between him and Jasmine over the pre-marital counseling! I could totally see everyone's points about his good qualities and his weaknesses. I'm so nervous about what happens this next week -- I just know he's going to do something he regrets with Max's therapist. But she's so sweet, too! Ack!

:lol: I may be a bit too wrapped up in this show ...

Marcia
02-13-2011, 05:32 PM
I personally like Kristina's character and actress playing the role. She so accurately portrays a mom with a child who requires not just needs more attention than most children. She went from a frustrated what's wrong with my child to a mom who found answers and makes list upon lists and seeks out help to try to get a handle on things(control) so she can get through the day.

I actually like that part too, Tracy. The part about her character that bugs me is how she treats the teenage daughter and sometimes Adam. I didn't like the way she treated the G'ma either when her daughter moved in with her. I felt like the G'ma wasn't taking sides and was trying to be a bit of a peacemaker between the all of them. My sister and I were talking about this show this weekend, and my kids said, "Man, you guys talk about this show like it's real life." :lol:

tracy
02-13-2011, 05:50 PM
I love the Grandma. And secretly wish she was my mother in law.

At first I didn't understand Kristina's behaviour with her, but the Grandma made a small comment to her that was a foreshadowing of what we learn at the very end of the episode ..... Kristina's mother made choices that Kristina did not agree with and wants to prevent her daughter from doing the same. Her daughter is not her mother.

I think Hadie's character is spot on with the rebellion. I have watched the unfolding drama with some of my own 16 yo daughter's school friends. I have witnessed and heard of this kind of boyfriend vs parents opinion reaction with private, public and even the home-schooled teen girls. One girl nearly came to our home after her mom was so mad at her she kicked her out. The girl slept in her car until 3am and then sneaked back inside. She was a home schooled 17 yo.

I love how we are all having a discussion. This is why I love this show Parenthood. :clap:

JavaJackie
02-13-2011, 06:43 PM
I love it too! It is one of the few shows I actually watch!

maria maria
02-13-2011, 06:58 PM
:hi: Me too! Like this show! :yes:

I agree with what Tracy said about Kristina. And the more I learn about where she has come from, in combination with her 24/7/365 parenting of a child with Aspergers, she makes so much sense in how she relates to Hadie.
Hadie has been the easy on to relate to, so when there is a bump there it is not just normal frustration it is fear laden frustration. Her explaining her fears to Adam said so much about her.

I loved seeing Adam and Kristina work through how they were parenting and learn from it all. To see them rethink what and why of how they were dealing with the whole situation and their willingness to change their approach to it all. I think both Adam and Kristina, well the whole family did so well working through the major miscommunication/lack of communication that was going on as well as trying and trying and trying again and again to work it all out, to relate to each other until there was understanding.

Great show. Hysterical! :roflol: Great writing, acting. Just like it.

And does anyone else facinate at how much they all look related? The casting dept. did fantastic! Oh and how Hadie's expressions and mannerisms are so much just like her mom's at times then just like her dad's at others then she reminded me of her grandmother! That young girl is an amazing actress. They are all great actors.

And yes, love that this show gets people talking and discussing the real nuts and bolts of life.

Okay, I will hush now. :D

Jenifer
02-15-2011, 01:00 PM
I love this show! Never miss it!

I do think the casting department really got it when they picked this cast.

I can't wait to see what happens tonight...I too think Crosby is going to get himself into a situation he will regret later.

KarenF
02-16-2011, 01:24 PM
I liked this show at first but stopped watching it, then watched it, then stopped again.

After this thread, I thought I would watch it last night. Did there seriously need to be so much s*x in it? Is this what this show has become?

That being said, I do love Adam/Kristina's family. The Mother is great and I've always like Craig T. Nelson.

WendyW
02-16-2011, 01:55 PM
After this thread, I thought I would watch it last night. Did there seriously need to be so much s*x in it? Is this what this show has become?

That really surprised me last night! NO, it usually is NOT like that! I really hope this is not an indication of things to come.

Erika in TX
02-17-2011, 10:53 PM
I was totally caught off guard for that! :eek: Hoping they don't make this a habit or I'll have to stop watching. :unsure:

Carol S
02-17-2011, 10:55 PM
I still haven't watched it yet. Loved the movie way back when, though.

shonda in ca
10-23-2011, 05:49 PM
Just had to search this thread out because I have spent the last few days watching the first two seasons on Netflix! (I've had a hard week and needed some down time! ;) )
I heard about the show from this thread and started watching online, but was excited that it is streaming on Netflix now. Love it!

Julie Y
10-23-2011, 08:01 PM
I've been hesitant to say anything more about it, since after I posted last time the very next episode had some :blush: scenes. But I do love this show -- and am always so impressed by the acting. :thumb:

KarenF
10-23-2011, 10:43 PM
I have watch the last 2 or 3 weeks and I was thinking about this thread last week. I was going to repost about it and forgot. The last few that I have seen have been better than what I remember. It's pretty real.

Marcia
10-23-2011, 10:54 PM
I've been hesitant to say anything more about it, since after I posted last time the very next episode had some :blush: scenes. But I do love this show -- and am always so impressed by the acting. :thumb:

I really enjoy this show, Julie. I love the grandparent's house. Don't you love when they eat outside with all the lights. Happy sigh.....:)

shonda in ca
10-24-2011, 12:21 AM
Don't you love when they eat outside with all the lights. Happy sigh.....:)

I have actually paused it to get a better look at Adam and Kristina's living room! :lol: I love the style of the grandparent's house and that yard is so awesome!!