PDA

View Full Version : Do we need an IPad?

Jo in PRC
02-21-2011, 09:09 PM
Anna is in 5th grade now and I'm wondering if an IPad would help us. She uses my computer to play games and send emails, but doesn't do a lot of keyboarding. She's great with the mouse. She has a lot of trouble writing, letters or numbers, but can do much more in her head. If you have an IPad and have found it useful with your special needs child, can you give me some feedback? Also, if you know of any websites that I can refer my husband to, so that he can also be convinced, that would be really helpful. Thanks!

Esther-Alabama
02-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Jo,

John Henry has dyslexia and dysgraphia. He struggles a lot with writing by hand, so he types a lot. I have found some useful apps for him.

Typ-O HD is one that has decent word prediction, spelling help, and text to speech ability.

Dragon Dictate is the Dragon Speech app for iPad. He speaks and this app types the words for him. It is slick!!

I will look up some websites for you to share, too!

Esther-Alabama
02-21-2011, 10:34 PM
http://atmac.org/

This is the best forum for assistive technology I have found for Mac products.

Rachel Jane
02-22-2011, 08:53 AM
I don't know if you need one, but it sure is fun! My dad, who is mostly blind, played with mine for 6 hours since it is so easy to use and you can blow up the page very large. :clap:

Esther-Alabama
02-22-2011, 12:12 PM
I decided to list the things my boys did today on the iPad for you:

John Henry-
Listened to a book
Typed a paragraph for a merit badge

Paul-
Practiced multiplication tables
Did research for his animal report via library encloypedia
Read an ebook

Sam-
Practiced addition and subtraction using a game app
Listened to a book

Lizzy-
Practiced writing her letters and then colored

Jo in PRC
02-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks for all the input, Esther. I really just need to convince my husband now. ;) RJ, so many folks had them on the airplanes as we flew this last time...I wanted to borrow one just to check it out. If Anna had an IPad, then maybe I could have my computer and kindle back. :lol: What really made me start thinking about this was something Anna found the other day...she was surfing the internet (Yes, I AM that bad of a mother) and she found a math "scratchpad" where she just slid numbers and signs over onto a piece of scrap paper to do her math. She used that to whip through all her long division. Once she didn't have to fight with the motor struggles of writing the numbers, it was so much faster and easier. She loves to "write" by dictating to me, but I want to help her be more independent. The voice recognition program we have on our computer is really picky and not very accurate, so that ends up being too frustrating for her. Of course, thinking about the long plane and car rides in our near future also makes me want to get one just for entertainment.

mariah m
02-23-2011, 10:24 AM
I have one and love it. Nicolas is a little oppositional for some reason, but it is great for a sn kid. There are TONS of apps. I think there is a Moms with Apps FB page and site.

Rebekah does some math drill, Lucas uses the algebra helper. There are a ton of communication apps.