PDA

View Full Version : question about meeting state standard for ASD daughter

Jenene
02-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Claire is 8, and yet she isn't at the typical 8 year old level of Beyond Fiar. I use the assessment type of testing for the state and she is really still at the first grade level. The BYFIAR meets the checklist, but I know she isnt' ready for that yet.
So, what do some of you do in this area, when she is still in FIAR level mentally and yet I still have to fill out the 2nd grade level for the state? They do let me state at the end of the assessment that she has a ASD diagnosis and that she isn't going to meet the goals set up for 2nd graders.
So that is helpful, but I don't know if I should shoot high and use BYFIAR or keep her at FIAR?

any advise?

Chalane (FL)
02-28-2011, 11:10 PM
I'm not sure what state you're in and the state laws make a difference. You may need to seek the advice of HSLDA on how to write the assessment.
As a mom if you feel that she still needs FIAR I would keep using it. Joey is 10 and we are still using B4.

Hollie in SC
03-01-2011, 08:21 AM
I'm not sure what state you're in and the state laws make a difference. You may need to seek the advice of HSLDA on how to write the assessment.

I agree. Also, your state homeschool group might have good info, but I'd start with the special needs department at HSLDA. :group:

Sue C
03-01-2011, 11:25 PM
As a mom if you feel that she still needs FIAR I would keep using it. Joey is 10 and we are still using B4.

:yes: My state doesn't require testing but if they did I would check out what I needed to do to put her where SHE needs to be. My daughter with Aspergers is 9 and still doing FIAR. There is no way she would succeed with BYFIAR yet. Somedays I wonder if she ever will. :sad:

Jenene
03-02-2011, 12:19 AM
I am in Washington State. So far the assessment company I use has been really good with her just proving that she shows progress. I just get discouraged when I see what she should be learning and how far we are from that. I think I panic that somehow the state is going to say she should be in public school.

CINDY LB OH
03-02-2011, 01:32 PM
I'm a little confused by your question because according to my manual it says FIAR is for children 4-8yo. If your dd is 8 then being in FIAR is just fine.

Yes, the BY manual says they can start at 8yo, but that depends on the child. They could also start at 10 or 12, because it's written for the age span of 8 -12.

I think most people here who have 8 yo 2nd graders are still using FIAR, and move their children on to BY in the 3rd grade. Some don't even move on until 4th grade.

Now she may not be meeting the state goals for a 2nd grader, but she is using a curriculum designed for a 2nd grader. Just do the assignments at her level.

My ds12 has Aspergers + various learning disabilities including severe dyslexia. We started BY last year. He still only reads at a first grade level, but his understanding is mostly at grade level, so we alter the assignments to meet his needs.

I would go ahead and keep her in FIAR for 2nd grade. The key for me on when to move them into BY is when they are ready for chapter books. And that doesn't necessarily mean she has to be reading them herself. If she's ready for the content and the longer stories, then it's time to move on. My ds12 doesn't read the books himself, we do it as a read aloud. We do most of the assignments orally, and we do notebook pages together with him dictating the information to me. We adapt the assignments to work within his abilities and goals.

Many of the sujects in BY could easily be put in FIAR, and vise versa. It's not that the content is for one grade or another, it's what you do with the assignment to fit your childs needs.

Hope I that answered some of your questions. I think I may have gotten off track :lol: but, using FIAR for an 8 yo is abolutely OK!

shonda in ca
03-04-2011, 12:11 PM
She is fine. Don't worry and don't panic. Wa. is very easy to homeschool in. Even though you have to test you don't have to show it to anyone so no one will tell you to put her in school. :)

:group:

Homeschooling is all about doing what is right for the child at their level. You are doing just fine.

(Ooops, I see you said assesment, not testing...I still think you are fine, though. :) )

Jenene
03-11-2011, 10:40 PM
I must say I cannot believe I got my own daughters age wrong.. my dh is rolling his eyes... I cannot believe she is 9 already! So suppose she would be in 3rd grade? With the special need kids, it is hard to remember. Anyways, thanks for the responses and encouragement!:)
The state just requires some sort of checks and balances, so the assessment takes the place of a test. But the list is so far beyond her, and they wanted me to stick with the grade she should be in. Seems pointless when I am having to work on the first grade list still. Yep, I get panicky (is that a word?) that someone will secretly come say I am not fit to teach :)